3D Question regarding 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2010
Does anyone here know if all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies can play in a 2D Blu Ray Disc Player in 3D, that has successfully played Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D in 2D and in 3D before ? :wtf: . Also, Do all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies come with 3D Glasses ? :wtf: .

Hi Sean, I think any BD player can play "Journey". It is not true "3D". The movies like the upcoming Avatar 3D, require an actual 3D player. I am not 100% sure, but the upcoming 3D movies require you to have the real glasses that are sold with the TV bundles right now. The other movies like Friday The 13th 3D that were released earlier (not true 3D) have paper glasses in the pack. Hope that helps! DB

Hi Sean, I think any BD player can play "Journey". It is not true "3D". The movies like the upcoming Avatar 3D, require an actual 3D player. I am not 100% sure, but the upcoming 3D movies require you to have the real glasses that are sold with the TV bundles right now. The other movies like Friday The 13th 3D that were released earlier (not true 3D) have paper glasses in the pack. Hope that helps! DB

What about all other upcoming 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies ? :confused: , can they play in a 2D Blu Ray Disc Player in 3D, like how Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D can ? :confused: , and don't all the new and upcoming 3D Blu Ray Disc movies have 3D Glasses with them ? :confused: (I don't mean, the ones that are bundled with 3DHDTV'S, i ment the ones that don't come bundled with the 3DHDTV'S).

If you have a regular BD Player (with no 3D capability) and you insert a Blu-ray 3D movie, the movie will play in 2D. Journey to the Center of the Earth is not part of the new Blu-ray 3D format it's a regular BD with the old style of 3D.

The new 3D format requires you to have a 3D Blu-ray player and a 3D ready TV. These 3D titles can be identified by a logo that says "Blu-ray 3D" on the cover. They cannot be played in 3D on a regular 2D player. Titles like Christmas Carol, Despicable Me, Monster House 3D, etc. will only play in 3D in a 3D capable Blu-ray player.

As for the glasses, each TV brand will only work with their brand (i.e. Panasonic with Panasonic, Samsung with Samsung). They do not come included with the movie. These glasses will run you about 159-179 each pair and can be used on your TV for any Blu-ray 3D movie.

Last edited:
Love the avatar Sean.

Thank You! :D .

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

If you have a regular BD Player (with no 3D capability) and you insert a Blu-ray 3D movie, the movie will play in 2D. Journey to the Center of the Earth is not part of the new Blu-ray 3D format it's a regular BD with the old style of 3D.

The new 3D format requires you to have a 3D Blu-ray player and a 3D ready TV. These 3D titles can be identified by a logo that says "Blu-ray 3D" on the cover. They cannot be played in 3D on a regular 2D player. Titles like Christmas Carol, Despicable Me, Monster House 3D, etc. will only play in 3D in a 3D capable Blu-ray player.

As for the glasses, each TV brand will only work with their brand (i.e. Panasonic with Panasonic, Samsung with Samsung). They do not come included with the movie. These glasses will run you about 159-179 each pair and can be used on your TV for any Blu-ray 3D movie.

Why don't 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies have 3D Glasses, that come with them ? :wtf: . My Blu Ray Disc Player is the one with the model #BDP-S300, and i thought that it would be be able to play ALL 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies :ohno: . Also, i recently found out on a website about different "Blu Ray 3D" logos on all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, and what it was that i happened to find out, was that if it says on the Blu Ray Disc cover of the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie this -> "Blu Ray 3D", then it is compatible with 2D and 3D Blu ray Disc Players and 3D hdtvs, but if it says "Blu ray 3D Only" on the blu ray disc cover, then that means that it can only play on 3D Blu Ray Disc Players and 3D HDTVs. So, i believe that answers my previous questions about 3D Blu Ray movies :D . As for the 3D Glasses, anyone who buys a 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, that is not aware of compatibility issues, should be able to get 3D glasses with the 3D blu ray disc movie, in the Blu Ray Disc case, so that anyone who buys the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, should not have to worry:ohno: about being able to see it in 2D and also even in 3D if they wanted to :oohyeah: .

Last edited:
Do you have a PS3 Sean? If you do, they've gotten a firmware update to become a 3D player ... course you would still need a 3D capable tv.

There are 2 different types of 3D now ... the one with the red and blue glasses. And then the new awesome one with shutter glasses etc ($$$) All of these new titles work in that sense.

Thank You! :D .

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Why don't 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies have 3D Glasses, that come with them ? :wtf: . My Blu Ray Disc Player is the one with the model #BDP-S300, and i thought that it would be be able to play ALL 3D Blu Ray Disc Movies :ohno: . Also, i recently found out on a website about different "Blu Ray 3D" logos on all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, and what it was that i happened to find out, was that if it says on the Blu Ray Disc cover of the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie this -> "Blu Ray 3D", then it is compatible with 2D and 3D Blu ray Disc Players and 3D hdtvs, but if it says "Blu ray 3D Only" on the blu ray disc cover, then that means that it can only play on 3D Blu Ray Disc Players and 3D HDTVs. So, i believe that answers my previous questions about 3D Blu Ray movies :D . As for the 3D Glasses, anyone who buys a 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, that is not aware of compatibility issues, should be able to get 3D glasses with the 3D blu ray disc movie, in the Blu Ray Disc case, so that anyone who buys the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, should not have to worry:ohno: about being able to see it in 2D and also even in 3D if they wanted to.

The S300 will play regular BDs and of course the older 3D technology which still uses the red and blue glasses. New 3D technology is completely different thus requiring a 3D Blu-ray player and a 3D TV and 3D shutter glasses. The red and blue glasses will not work with this new technique that's why no glasses are included in the new 3D Blu-rays.

This is a picture of the glasses used on a few titles that included a 3D version using the old technology.

attachment.php

These are the new glasses which are brand specific and can only be used for Blu-ray 3D discs.

attachment.php

This is an older title that employs that older 3D technique. This is not the same technology as the newly created Blu-ray 3D format.

attachment.php

This is a Blu-ray 3D movie, no red and blue technology, see the "Blu-ray 3D" logo? These titles require a 3D Blu-ray player, a 3D TV, and shutter glasses.

attachment.php

These new Blu-ray 3D titles should playback fine on a regular non 3D Blu-ray player in 2D ONLY. The 3D portion on works when you have a 3D Blu-ray with a 3D TV ONLY.

Do you have a PS3 Sean? If you do, they've gotten a firmware update to become a 3D player ... course you would still need a 3D capable tv.

There are 2 different types of 3D now ... the one with the red and blue glasses. And then the new awesome one with shutter glasses etc ($$$) All of these new titles work in that sense.

No, i don't have a PS3. But, what i was saying about 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, is that they should still come with 3D Glasses, so that anyone who buys it, rather if they have a 3DHDTV or not, should still be able to watch it in 2D and also in 3D with the 3D glasses that should come with the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, so that there is no problem, once they buy it, and bring it home and open it up, and expect to be able to play it in both 2D and 3D with the 3D glasses it comes with, on a 2D HTV, and in a 2D Blu Ray Disc player, that are both 3D compatible.

No, i don't have a PS3. But, what i was saying about 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, is that they should still come with 3D Glasses, so that anyone who buys it, rather if they have a 3DHDTV or not, should still be able to watch it in 2D and also in 3D with the 3D glasses that should come with the 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, so that there is no problem, once they buy it, and bring it home and open it up, and expect to be able to play it in both 2D and 3D with the 3D glasses it comes with, on a 2D HTV, and in a 2D Blu Ray Disc player, that are both 3D compatible.

I think their might be some that do just that ... not sure though. I haven't dove into 3D yet ... Horhay has.

The S300 will play regular BDs and of course the older 3D technology which still uses the red and blue glasses. New 3D technology is completely different thus requiring a 3D Blu-ray player and a 3D TV and 3D shutter glasses. The red and blue glasses will not work with this new technique that's why no glasses are included in the new 3D Blu-rays.

This is a picture of the glasses used on a few titles that included a 3D version using the old technology.

attachment.php

These are the new glasses which are brand specific and can only be used for Blu-ray 3D discs.

attachment.php

This is an older title that employs that older 3D technique. This is not the same technology as the newly created Blu-ray 3D format.

attachment.php

This is a Blu-ray 3D movie, no red and blue technology, see the "Blu-ray 3D" logo? These titles require a 3D Blu-ray player, a 3D TV, and shutter glasses.

attachment.php

These new Blu-ray 3D titles should playback fine on a regular non 3D Blu-ray player in 2D ONLY. The 3D portion on works when you have a 3D Blu-ray with a 3D TV ONLY.

What about the fact that there are 3D Blu Ray Disc movies that say Blu Ray 3D, and then the ones that say 3D Blu Ray Only ? :wtf: , isn't the reason for that, because the ones that say "3D Blu Ray Only" ,are "Only" for 3D HDTVs and 3D Blu Ray Disc Players ? :wtf: , and the ones that say "3D Blu Ray" , are for both 2D and 3D HDTVs and 2D and 3D Blu Ray Disc Players ? :wtf: .

Last edited:
What about the fact that there are 3D Blu Ray Disc movies that say Blu Ray 3D, and then the ones that say 3D Blu Ray Only ? :wtf: , isn't the reason for that, because the ones that say "3D Blu Ray Only" ,are "Only" for 3D HDTVs and 3D Blu Ray Disc Players ? :wtf: , and the ones that say "3D Blu Ray" , are for both 2D and 3D HDTVs and 2D and 3D Blu Ray Disc Players ? :wtf: .

I see what you are saying now. Thing is that the new Blu-ray 3D spec just simply does not work with the old red and blue technology. The shutter glasses aren't cheap to make and each brand will only work with each brand.

The older Blu-rays that have 3D aren't advertised as 3D Blu-ray they are advertised as "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx in 3D" which is not the same. These are the titles that can be used on non 3D equipment using simple red and blue 3D glasses.

I see what you are saying now. Thing is that the new Blu-ray 3D spec just simply does not work with the old red and blue technology. The shutter glasses aren't cheap to make and each brand will only work with each brand.

The older Blu-rays that have 3D aren't advertised as 3D Blu-ray they are advertised as "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx in 3D" which is not the same. These are the titles that can be used on non 3D equipment using simple red and blue 3D glasses.

What exactly do you mean by "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx" ? :wtf: . What exactly does that mean ? :wtf: . I was thinking that since there were even 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, that come with glasses in the first place, that they would still be in stores, like Best Buy, Target, etc-, so that people like such as myself, who can play that type of 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, that come with the glasses, that they would then still be selling them in stores like Best Buy and Target and several other stores that sell 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, so that people could still buy them, and besides, that kind of 3D "Blu Ray" technology, isn't that old anyways! :ugh: .

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx" ? :wtf: . What exactly does that mean ? :wtf: . I was thinking that since there were even 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, that come with glasses in the first place, that they would still be in stores, like Best Buy, Target, etc-, so that people like such as myself, who can play that type of 3D Blu Ray Disc movie, that come with the glasses, that they would then still be selling them in stores like Best Buy and Target and several other stores that sell 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, so that people could still buy them, and besides, that kind of 3D "Blu Ray" technology, isn't that old anyways! :ugh: .

I was trying to give an example of a title advertised in 3D by "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx", but I didn't have an exact title in mind. That could be Friday the 13th in 3D or Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D.

All I am saying is, the Blu-ray 3D spec was just finalized a few months ago and it's a new technology that employs a different technique to deliver 3D to sets. The red and blue is an old technique that has been used for years on TV, magazines, movies, etc. prior to putting it on a Blu-ray.

So what you are trying to say is, you want to be able to buy the Blu-ray 3D titles and glasses should be included. With no 3D hardware required, just work on a simple 2D Blu-ray player?

Selling two different versions to please both crowds the non 3D hardware and the 3D hardware early adopters is a bit far fetched though. That would kind of dwarf the progress of the Blu-ray 3D format, but that's just my opinion.

I was trying to give an example of a title advertised in 3D by "xxxxxxx xxx xxxxx", but I didn't have an exact title in mind. That could be Friday the 13th in 3D or Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D.

All I am saying is, the Blu-ray 3D spec was just finalized a few months ago and it's a new technology that employs a different technique to deliver 3D to sets. The red and blue is an old technique that has been used for years on TV, magazines, movies, etc. prior to putting it on a Blu-ray.

So what you are trying to say is, you want to be able to buy the Blu-ray 3D titles and glasses should be included. With no 3D hardware required, just work on a simple 2D Blu-ray player?

Selling two different versions to please both crowds the non 3D hardware and the 3D hardware early adopters is a bit far fetched though. That would kind of dwarf the progress of the Blu-ray 3D format, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, that is what i was saying, which is that i want to be able to buy the Blu-Ray 3D titles and the 3D glasses should be included as well, that is exactly what i was trying to say :D . But to add to what you said, is that the Blu Ray Disc player (my blu ray player) is 3D compatible. But, isn't selling two versions or more together, to please both crowds, isn't that what they're doing when the 3D Blu Ray comes with the 2D and Dvd and digital copy, all together in the same Blu Ray Disc pack ? :wtf: , like what they're doing with the "A Christmas Carol 3D" Blu Ray ? :wtf: . That's what i hope is the case with all 3D Blu Ray Disc movies, in a pack with several versions of the movie, all sold together in one pack, and should come with 3D Glasses (the non-expensive ones made out of thick paper), like from the ones from Journey 3D's, 3D blu ray, no matter what colors the plastic lenses are on the glasses.

Hey Sean,
sorry i didnt see this earlier, I actually have a 3D tv and a 3D blu ray player.

if you have the original journey to the center of the earth 3D that was released ummmm, last year? that movie came with 2 pairs of anaglyph 3D glasses, or was it 4? now, that will play in 2D meaning no glasses needed, right?

however, if you have a blu ray player from last year? no, it will not play any new release 3D movies where the active glasses are needed. you will actually need a 3D blu ray player that came out in last couple months.

feel free to ask me any questions, and let me say this, 3D rocks, i am sure not everyone likes it, but until you actually see 3D in action, the IMAX movie, Under the Sea 3D narrated by Jim Carrey has some of the best eye popping 3D effects i have seen yet, and Monster House 3D has the best depth perception throught the whole movie i have seen yet as well.

i am happy i converted lol

ok, another thing to point out = the PS3 has some games that are in 3D where you need a 3D tv, i have a couple games and a couple demos too that i got from the SONY Playstation Store, they are totally awesome as well......

Hey Sean,
sorry i didnt see this earlier, I actually have a 3D tv and a 3D blu ray player.

if you have the original journey to the center of the earth 3D that was released ummmm, last year? that movie came with 2 pairs of anaglyph 3D glasses, or was it 4? now, that will play in 2D meaning no glasses needed, right?

however, if you have a blu ray player from last year? no, it will not play any new release 3D movies where the active glasses are needed. you will actually need a 3D blu ray player that came out in last couple months.

feel free to ask me any questions, and let me say this, 3D rocks, i am sure not everyone likes it, but until you actually see 3D in action, the IMAX movie, Under the Sea 3D narrated by Jim Carrey has some of the best eye popping 3D effects i have seen yet, and Monster House 3D has the best depth perception throught the whole movie i have seen yet as well.

i am happy i converted lol

ok, another thing to point out = the PS3 has some games that are in 3D where you need a 3D tv, i have a couple games and a couple demos too that i got from the SONY Playstation Store, they are totally awesome as well......

Yes, it came with 4 3D glasses, and it can play in 2D, with out the 3D glasses on my blu ray disc player and hdtv, and also in 3D with the 3D glasses too. I was thinking that if the 3D blu ray disc movie cover says on it "Blu Ray 3D", then it would play fine in a 2D blu ray disc player and 2D hdtv, that are both 3D compatible with 3D, but if it says "Blu Ray 3D Only", then it would only play on 3D hdtv's and 3D blu ray disc players.

Ok in order to view the new 3D spec you need to upgrade your equipment and that's all there is to it. No way around it. Horhay has mentioned what you need. Now its up to you to make the jump if you want 3D.

Ok in order to view the new 3D spec you need to upgrade your equipment and that's all there is to it. No way around it. Horhay has mentioned what you need. Now its up to you to make the jump if you want 3D.

I respectfully disagree. I have a feeling, that it says on the back of all 3D blu ray disc movies something such as "Special glasses (included in package) required for 3-D viewing", or something very similar to that, and that means that it can play on both 3D and 2D blu ray disc players, and on 2D and 3D hdtv's. Also, all 3D blu ray disc movies have to be able to have 3D glasses that come with it, or else it wouldn't work, whether its playing on a 2D blu ray disc player that's 3D compatible, and 2D hdtv, or 3D blu ray disc player and and 3D hdtv, not including the 3D glasses that come with the 3D blu ray disc player or 3D hdtv.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.