San Diego or NY Comic Con?

Lester

Premium Supporter
Sep 6, 2011
London, UK
I'm seriously thinking of going to one next year, but which is better? I'm not interested in comics or video games, but I am interested in films, tv shows and getting some autographs from the actors. So from your experience, what would be best for me? I've been to quite a few UK based Comic Cons over the last few years, so I've got a rough idea on what to expect.

I've always wanted to visit New York to do the tourist bits and some shopping. So I was thinking of combining with a trip to the New York Comic Con, but a friend has suggested going to San Diego first and then get an internal flight to New York for the tourist bits after. What do you think?

As a NYC native whos been going to NYCC for the past 7 or 8 years(I lost track) and going to SDCC for the past 5yrs, SDCC wins by a long run.

All the tv and films go to SDCC because of the 2hr commute from LA. Much easier for the industry. The convention center of SD is just simply bigger and has a large "campus" than what NYCC has to offer.

• Informative
Reactions: Lester
I'd rather go to SDCC for personal reasons. ie. things that attract me more. NYCC while still very cool, reminded me of Phoenix Comic Con in regards to scale. I was expecting something even bigger. Not to say its not big, but basically Phoenix is too.

I'd rather go to SDCC for personal reasons. ie. things that attract me more. NYCC while still very cool, reminded me of Phoenix Comic Con in regards to scale. I was expecting something even bigger. Not to say its not big, but basically Phoenix is too.
@Wreck Speaking of Phoenix, I'm definitely attending next years Comic Con!!! :thumbs: :cool:
PHX Comic Con 2015.PNG

I've never been to a Comic Con outside of the UK before and I didn't even know about one at Phoenix before. So I have nothing to compare any of them with.

Having looked at the dates for next year, I'm usually very busy in July with events at home and not so much in October. So I don't know at the moment. I won't know until April if this trip is even possible. I'm just asking opinions. Thanks.

A little more details with comparing the two cons.

NYCC
Smaller convention center so smaller floor space. What NYCC beats SDCC, imo is the artist alley. If you like/want to meet comic book artists, NYCC is the one to go to. Much more artist head to NYCC from what I've seen.

Tv and films panels, just doesn't have much compare to SDCC. Maybe its because of the distance of LA with all the production offices or maybe the airing season of the hall shows started already? Idk. Sure you may have SHIELD, Gotham and Walking Dead this year, but thats really all? Compare the number of shows to SDCC, SDCC blows NYCC out of the water with tv and films.

However, I feel like more actors/actresses coming to NYCC to do signings/autographs. Esp the ones who do the convention circuit. Maybe its not the number of them, more like the accessibility of getting their autographs/photos because NYCC has a designated space just for that.

Because of the location of the Javits Convention Center, its out to the edge of NYC, a b*tch to walk to really. This year they've started to do more "off site" events, I haven't gone to any but thats the NYC problems. Its too spread out. Its very easy to get distracted by everything else NYC has got to offer.

SDCC
I like to refer to SDCC as THE CON because it is. First year I went, I was completely overwhelmed. So much happening so much to do. One of the off site events the first year I went, was Flynn's Arcade from Tron. I didn't even find out about this till the con was over. The SD convention center I'd say is about 30-40% larger than NY, floor space wise. Much bigger rooms too. Hall H holds over 6000 and Ballroom 20 holds 4000, compare to the largest room in the Javits was about 3000 I believe. I was one of the lucky few who go to see both Avengers previews.

Exhibitors wise, all the big dogs come out here. WB, Legendary, Fox, Marvel, DC, Sideshow, Hasbro, Mattel and so much more. Already thats so much to see/do/wait on line for. Much more tv and films come to SDCC to advertise. Not all will offer autograph signings but if they do, thats another line to wait on to get wristbands to get autographs.

This is what I believe SDCC beats out NYCC, its the location and its surrounding area. All the major downtown hotels are across the street from the con. Literally walk out of the hotel, cross the st and you're outside the convention center. Restaurants and bar are well within walking distance if not, downstairs from you if you're able to get a downtown hotel room.

Because of this convenience, SDCC takes over all of downtown San Diego. For the last couple of years, Walking Dead had its obstacle course at Petco Park, baseball stadium across the st from the con. Game of Thrones took over a gallery and had its event across from the con or right downstairs from my hotel. Couple years ago, WB brought all its batmobiles out and put them out on the lawn on the Hilton, across from the con. Assassin Creed had its obstacle across outside a hotel and last year rented out a boat and put it in the back of the convention. Theres just so much going on and just can't do them all.

Oh and most celebrities stay in the same hotels as you (downtown hotels), so its very likely you can run into them in the elevator. I rode the elevator with Kevin Bacon once, my friends met Eljiah Wood in the lobby. I ran the Walking Dead Escape with the black power ranger this summer.

I know the argument is SDCC is way more Hollywood than comics now and its true. SDCC has become more of a pop culture convention than comic convention. I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Breaking Bad has nothing to do with comics but they came last year and everyone loved it.

Did I mention the weather in San Diego? Man escaping to SD in July from NYC's humid summer is the best thing to do. SD has some beautiful weather although for a couple days this year, it was kinda hot.

Thats my comparison of the two cons. I know it sounds like I'm talking crap about NYCC and I am. You want to go to the best con, SDCC is the way to go. I love NYCC because its the first con I've ever gone to but once you've experience the comic high of SDCC, it becomes your standard and you'll wait more.

Side note, NYCC is produced by Reedpop who also produces Book Con, Star Wars Celebration, C2E2, etc., a for-profit company. Which is way you'll see those VIP passes.
SDCC is produced by Comic Con International, a non-profit company that also produces WonderCon, SDCC's sister show in the spring. For 1 price, you'll get a chance to do everything in SDCC if you can wait on the lines of course.

@mllNY might want to chime in here as well, as he has gone to both.

Wow, thanks @will519 I wasn't expected a detailed reply like that. Thank you, it was very informative. I'm now swaying towards the SDCC, but I will miss so many events at home with other hobbies that I have at around that time. This will be a tough decision to make. How many days would be enough for SDCC? If I do this, I will probably fly in just for the Con and then go on to NY for a week or so, before returning home.

I see what you mean about the actors staying at the same hotels. I've recently attended a Star Trek convention in London and a friend was staying in the hotel next to the event and all the actors were also staying there. It was a bit surreal drinking in the hotel bar one evening and a few of the actors then came in for a quiet drink.

Are there different levels of ticket for SDCC? At a recent Star Trek convention I attended, I purchased a 'gold pass' and that came with various benefits, including priority queuing, which was fantastic and I'll pay for that again. If I do this, I would like to do it properly and don't mind paying a bit extra to see most of it and not spend most of the time queuing up.

I find that the beauty of SDCC is there is only one level ticket. That one ticket grants you to do anything and everything at the convention. Of course the downside of SDCC is the waiting time on lines. Be prepare to wait hours on lines esp for those huge movie/tv panels. Autograph wise, not much of a wait time unless its at a booth which you'll need to get a wristband for.

Best to try to get a 4day pass plus preview night, about $200. One day isn't enough at the con. Granted there is also so many events going on outside if you miss out on a day or two. These badges aren't easy to come by. A few million people try to buy them once they're on sale. Follow the instructions on the website and create an member id for yourself.

For the last couple years, I've been going to SDCC a weekend early. I spend my vacation in SD or LA for a few days before the convention starts. Nice way to see everything put together. It gets exciting to see them put up all the banners and signage. This next con will be even more expensive for me since the weekend before is the 4th of July.

@will519 It is a fair assessment and I mostly agree however I am less harsh on NYCC and being a VIP pass holder you won't see me say anything negative against it.

SDCC is the larger and the con has more panel content by far with a larger exhibit floor, but if we are talking SDCC being at say 98% awesome then NYCC is like 90% the difference is not as significant any longer. Yes SDCC is better but NYCC is absolutely nothing to sneer at. Also consider the show is only 9 years old and has as many attendees as SDCC. While they likely did gain momentum from SDCC the east coast has spoken and they need a con too. At this point Hollywood is, imo, not going to be able to ignore NYCC too much longer nor are the big exhibitors. If you see the book publishers have already begun to add NYCC to the back of their advance copies for distribution and promotion. Companies are going to be hard pressed to ignore 150,000 rabid fans descending to another con

Now SDCC does have the fact that the Gaslamp is right there but when you go to NYCC you are also in NYC, one of the greatest tourist destinations. You can't go wrong at either, if you are more into comics then NYCC if panels/exclusives are your thing then SDCC