The End of Flash? Microsoft says no Flash in IE9

Jan 29, 2009
If you thought Apple was the only one screwing over Adobe, you should hear what Microsoft has to say. The Internet Explorer team has recently announced that version 9 of IE will only support H.264 format video via HTML5 video. So do all computers support H.264. Very new operating systems currently have support for it, but older systems like XP or Vista need additional codecs. Not a big problem really. However, it’s still a dick move on Microsoft’s part to push the Windows 7 idea with IE9. They mentioned that users can record video and “play in a web browser on any operating system or device with H.264 support (e.g. a PC with Windows 7).” Nice marketing move MS.

However the big issue is that Flash gets screwed over. Do I disagree with their move though? Not really. Even on a super fast system, Flash can sometimes become unstable and may even crash or freeze up under strange circumstances. Microsoft also mentioned that “Flash does have some issues, particularly around reliability, security, and performance.” However, Flash has become an integrated part of many website’s basic functions, not just for watching videos, but for tons of other functionalities. The image uploader used on this site is flash based, and that’s just one example. However change is inevitable, so I am pretty sure a new type of system will be developed to replace those older functioning flash scripts, and it’s not like we have to switch the IE9 in a hurry anyway.

As much as you may want to think that the IE team may have screwed themselves over, I don’t think it was a bad move. IE9 (from the developer’s build), felt very solid and fast. Trying out the HTML5 player in both IE9 and Google Chrome proved to be less resource demanding and less unstable.

Another competitor is the open-sourced VP8 codec soon to be offered by Google, which is said to dish up serious competition to H.264 because it doesn’t have to deal with the licensing issues related to the H.264/MPEG LA family.