When blu-ray becomes capable of download...

The effect digital downloads of 1080p Media will have w/30mins or less downloads

• Completely Kill It!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All this streaming netflix players coming out this year will hurt tremendously, 1080p or not!

• Completely Kill It!

• All this streaming netflix players coming out this year will hurt tremendously, 1080p or not!

• Completely Kill It!

• Total voters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
When blu-ray discs, ie. HD 1080p becomes capable of download at REASONABLE time/speed ... how much of a hurting do you think it will do to the fomat disc?

In like 10 or 15 years from now, you have to go beyond the facts. Ok we know that you need a decent Internet speed let's say at least Cable (most companies will give you 7-15Mbps depending on the area) because DSL is just too slow to download a 4-8Gb file so in order for downloads to take over Internet providers need to open up the bandwidth which they are doing the completely opposite! Comcast is limiting people to 25GB per month and TW is testing a 50GB per month fee and every GB over 50 is a dollar in TX, so with this business model why would you pay let's say $8 for a download that is 7GB, 8, 9 or 10 and take most of your bandwidth for the month when you can spend 20-25 for physical media?

I've had countless arguments with some dude here at work, this dude talks about a future with everything on demand no physical media everything would stream and my argument is always the same, where is the bandwidth? of course if companies wanted it the ISP would consider lowering fees I am sure, but physical media takes 35-45% of a studio's revenue it's not going to happen, it hasn't impacted disc sales it could if everyone was running FIOS at home with 20GB for 64 bucks a month, but unfortunately we have those stupid provider zones so it ain't happening.

I don't think it will make a big dent. Physical media won't be replaced. There's no reselling/borrowing. I've got Comcast internet and I don't use it download any movies cause it takes to long. I could much faster hop in the car, rent it and start watching a Blu Ray movie by the time it's probably halfway done downloading. And even if I had FIOS I would still be buying movies that I want to own. I've got a small collection of blu's (26). If I had all those on a HDD it would need a lot of space and what would happen if the it someday became corrupt or bad? I would have to redownload them all again? From where and at what cost?

I figure it'll be no different than what happened with CDs. In fact it could be much less of an impact. Songs are totally different, people usually pick only the ones they want which you can't really do with a movie. Not to mention the much larger size of a movie file vs. a song file.

I figure it'll be no different than what happened with CDs. In fact it could be much less of an impact. Songs are totally different, people usually pick only the ones they want which you can't really do with a movie. Not to mention the much larger size of a movie file vs. a song file.

Very true, didnt think of it that way.

i dont think it will do much damage, especially for me i think that the pysical media is always the best way, if you're downloadin them then ul need the hdd space on your pc or whatever they are stored on plus too many could cause your somputer to lag etc

just read an article on videobusiness said packaged media will be fine till 2012 and even then downloads should only take up 15% of the market (movies)

Good news from a reliable source, as these were paid studies from industry professionals they wrote the article about.