Will your Collecting habbit change for 2017 ?

Actarus

Premium Supporter
Mar 28, 2014
フリード
Seeing that we are now flooded by Premium Releases with WWA Steelbooks, the same 4 or 5 retailers mostly doing all the same Titles.
Or a Retailer producing so many releases that it is hard to collect them all.
That is not taking into account the WEA Premium Releases as well.

With other factors, such as weak currencies impacting the Cost of those releases, and other reasons that may be.
Will your collecting Habit change this year as compared to 2016...

...and if so why ?

Last edited:
Yeah, my habit will change as I will be ordering more steelbooks from overseas, as Best Buy keeps raising the price with no discount on release week.

Reactions: SlimJim24
Cutting back to just the must haves because of the weak pound and necessary home improvements needing the money

Being in U.K, because of Brexit, the £ has plummeted, thus making steels from abroad more expensive.
I will now buy less steels. I may get one or 2 from FAC but only for films I love! I'll also get the odd bargains from HMV and Zavvi.

Brexit has made no difference to my steelbook buying. Unless the steelbook is seriously seriously stupid money and I mean stupid money there is not going to be much difference in my purchasing. What I will be doing this year is making sure I get the best version of a a steel I'm after instead of say jumping and buying a zavvi exclusive when there is potentially better ones out there.

Yeah, i'm not going for every stupid Steel because it's "so limited"
There are too many releases from too many retailers, so i'm only going for things i really really want.

I'm quiet new to the steelbook collectors community,but I decided to stick to the normal amarays and only if I really liked a movie I'll dip in for a steelbook/premium release as the prices are ridiculously high

Seeing that we are now flooded by Premium Releases with WWA Steelbooks, the same 4 or 5 retailers mostly doing all the same Titles.

Last year i began cutting my buys for Marvel Steelbooks (only thing i collecting most of the time) due to the points above. And i decided only to collect fullslips.

This year i will do it a little bit more, because there are to many releases from the same movies that i still have in my collection, and there a less outstanding Covers in my opinion. The Retailers trying to melk the cow, but the cow giving less and lesser milk.

Sorry for my bad english.

Probably less blind buys. In the past, it was an O.K. strategy because if you did a blind buy with a premium steelbook, you could always get at least cost back on the secondary market if you didn't want the steel.
This last year has seen the secondary market drop quite a bit on premiums, so the blind buy is no longer a safe bet if you change your mind.

I started to cut down on steelbooks last year as I was spending way too much. As a result I was able to save some money, have a great vacations and do lots of other things. This year I'm going to buy even less steelbooks and only some specific premium releases that I really want.

I have decided to quit collecting Steelbooks with immediate effect. I have been pondering the idea for a while, as collecting them no longer gives me the rush it once did. Being burgled and having most of my HT equipment stolen along with my Iron Man FS was the final turd in the water pipe as far as I was concerned. Will probably just keep the Marvel SBs and some of sentimental value.
If anyone is interested in a particular Steelbook feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
hmm interesting question @Actarus

in answer yes many different reasons, will def change on the amount i get some steels just seem to churn out more and more fac as one example, announce far to many then releases kept getting pushed back because they can't keep up, seems a poisioned chalice from my own point of view.

only one i will def want will be john wick 2 when they eventually get around to doing it and announce a date thinking though in reality that wont be around till nov or dec 2017 at the earliest as they still won't pin there colors to the mast even though someone put a thread up back in sep 23 2016.

wish they would stop doing that has helped any and just causes frustration from my point of view. may as well just put a thread up for every film they would like to do!
but personally think the rules around here need changing till is confirmed as an actual release otherwise they just we would like to do x,y,z and then studios just shoot them down as normal its happened about 10 times this year alone!
not good or un-expected :rolleyes:

also andy said hes not doing any gbs for best buy at the end of last year as to why i'm not quiet sure :confused: unless was taking too much of his time? plus you have currency change against dollar has changed vastly and shipping cost vastly increased.

also starting to run out of space on my shelves which is not a good thing. plus i need to have a dam good sort out/tidy up as missus has been putting them back :rolleyes: don't ask :arghh:

think im just going to have to be alot more selective with what i do get and think a little more out the box with fullslips and some of my own goodies like i did couple of years ago.

also about to try glossing my first steel, spray can is on its way as we speak. if it works out well think i will be going thru my whole collection and doing the ones that deserve it. and when its done will show to my friend on here if works out good to encourage her to have a go:D

that way save some money and a better quality shelf for me.

basil :thumbs:

hmm interesting question @Actarus

in answer yes many different reasons, will def change on the amount i get some steels just seem to churn out more and more fac as one example, announce far to many then releases kept getting pushed back because they can't keep up, seems a poisioned chalice from my own point of view.

only one i will def want will be john wick 2 when they eventually get around to doing it and announce a date thinking though in reality that wont be around till nov or dec 2017 at the earliest as they still won't pin there colors to the mast even though someone put a thread up back in sep 23 2016.

wish they would stop doing that has helped any and just causes frustration from my point of view. may as well just put a thread up for every film they would like to do!
but personally think the rules around here need changing till is confirmed as an actual release otherwise they just we would like to do x,y,z and then studios just shoot them down as normal its happened about 10 times this year alone!
not good or un-expected :rolleyes:

also andy said hes not doing any gbs for best buy at the end of last year as to why i'm not quiet sure :confused: unless was taking too much of his time? plus you have currency change against dollar has changed vastly and shipping cost vastly increased.

also starting to run out of space on my shelves which is not a good thing. plus i need to have a dam good sort out/tidy up as missus has been putting them back :rolleyes: don't ask :arghh:

think im just going to have to be alot more selective with what i do get and think a little more out the box with fullslips and some of my own goodies like i did couple of years ago.

also about to try glossing my first steel, spray can is on its way as we speak. if it works out well think i will be going thru my whole collection and doing the ones that deserve it. and when its done will show to my friend on here if works out good to encourage her to have a go:D

that way save some money and a better quality shelf for me.

basil :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply :happy:

Fair point you bring up and I see myself in a lot that you have pointed out ! I also would say no more Blind Buys !!! Wasted too much money this way.
And I hear you about missing out of space, who would have though that this could be a problem ?! ?! ?! :rofl:

In regards to Andy, I really am not sure why, but time consuming would be a valid point ! Especially when the same steels are often available in Europe/Asia in a better finish (ie: Doctore Strange last example)...and I think the most common issue of Spine Slash and having to return and exchange may also affect his time on the GBs. BB quality control are really awful and I stopped collecting them all together as you have to order 4 copies to get 1 Mint one if you are lucky. Would be interesting to know his point of view though.

And I so Agree with all the treads that are put up so early, it becomes pointless and clutter. Why not wait at least until they stop being shown in theater to put up a thread ! Now they put up potential release threads for movies that haven't even hit the theater yet.

Thanks @Basil :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil
only disney and maybe a few marvel releases for me... steelbooks have lost their exclusive feel as now they are way over produced and easy to get IMO

nothing special if every one is special

My habits changed probably in the second half of last year.

I value discs more than packaging for now. I still like steelbooks but if a steelbook doesn't have 4k and or 3d included in the package, and those discs are on the market, then I will opt for a version (doesn't have to be a steelbook) that has those discs.

Have cut down quiet alot since last year and I will try to even go less this year but john wick 2 and LA Confidential are a must have for me. Will only buy something I really like and that to a minimum.