Windows 7: 64 Bit. Windows 8? Try 128 Bit

Apr 2, 2009
http://gizmodo.com/5376443/windows-7-64-bit-windows-8-try-128-bit

We're big on 64-bit OSes, 'cause ours computers eat memory like this Obama eats children's dreams, but Microsoft's thinking about going 128 bit as soon as Windows 8, and most definitely by Windows 9.

That's the scoop gleaned off the LinkIn Profile for Robert Morgan, Senior Research & Development at Microsoft, anyway:

Working in high security department for research and development involving strategic planning for medium and longterm projects. Research & Development projects including 128bit architecture compatibility with the Windows 8 kernel and Windows 9 project plan. Forming relationships with major partners: Intel, AMD, HP, and IBM.

Robert Morgan is working to get IA-128 working backwards with full binary compatibility on the existing IA-64 instructions in the hardware simulation to work for Windows 8 and definitely Windows 9.

Ars has a ton more super-nerdy tidbits about what's possible in Windows 8 that's worth checking out, if you're a supernerd, anyway.

sweet

Holy shite... 128 bit architecture? this is the kind of stuff when I was 10 that I would have laughed in your face over in disbelief.

This is like the time we broke out over a gig of HD space.. man that was something amazing to me. I remember when my mom finally got the top o line Pentium 333mhz with 8 gig hard drive

I was ballin.

rock on. i know where i'm coming more often!

anyways. it makes me curious what kind of features 128 will bring over 64. i know it won't be memory, as it'll take YEARSSSSSS to hit the max of 64bit

I can tell you one it will feature a higher price tag!