#008 The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) (Target Exclusive) [USA]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Release date: July 28, 2015
Purchase link: The Thing (Mondo SteelBook)
Price: $24.99
Group buy: apsmith21
Note: Region free

Hidefninja.com Exclusive article

Beauty-Shot-the-thing-mondo.jpg

TheThingSleevepic.jpg

Attachments

• thing1.jpg
    thing1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 968
  • thingfront1.jpg
    thingfront1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 908
Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen the film (mainly because I'm not keen on horror), and I wasn't a fan of the remake. Love that artwork though, and it's Mondo, so of course I've got to have it!
I consider it a horror in the same way I consider JAWS a horror. Which is to say- really more about suspense than horror. I'm not a big horror fan and this is a favorite. It is a scifi suspense film with horror elements.
(and a great score by Ennio Morricone!)
Like American Werewolf- the practical effect here are still the zenith yet to be topped!
It's just a great movie. You won't regret it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles
I consider it a horror in the same way I consider JAWS a horror. Which is to say- really more about suspense than horror. I'm not a big horror fan and this is a favorite. It is a scifi suspense film with horror elements.
(and a great score by Ennio Morricone!)
Like American Werewolf- the practical effect here are still the zenith yet to be topped!
It's just a great movie. You won't regret it!

It's most definitely a horror film, as is Jaws. Both are considered amongst the scariest films ever made. There's an annoying trend to categorize classics as not really horror to avoid the "stigma" of the horror label being for B-movies only or something. Jaws, Alien, Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, The Sixth Sense, etc.

Never seen the film (mainly because I'm not keen on horror), and I wasn't a fan of the remake. Love that artwork though, and it's Mondo, so of course I've got to have it!

is it the remade or the original (1982)?

EDIT: nevermind it is John Carpenter's original, will skip it

Decent? You do know this JOHN CARPENTER's The Thing and NOT the remake, right?
It's a stone cold classic. And I am WAY more happy to be able to have this than that UK Play horizontal abomination that was just awful.
(I think one must also own the German copy just for Drew Stuzan's iconic poster art.
Even if it does say Das Ding:LOL:!)

It's not a remake, it's a prequel. The events directly lead into the Carpenter version.

It's most definitely a horror film, as is Jaws. Both are considered amongst the scariest films ever made. There's an annoying trend to categorize classics as not really horror to avoid the "stigma" of the horror label being for B-movies only or something. Jaws, Alien, Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, Psycho, The Sixth Sense, etc.

It's not a remake, it's a prequel. The events directly lead into the Carpenter version.
I don't find The Thing or Jaws scary in the least. And Jaws really does not go for horror beats in it's tone. Jaws was actually the opposite. Marketed as a horror (because horror was so popular at the time) when it really is not. You can count the scary scenes in Jaws on one finger- because it was not designed as a horror film.
Most of the the movies you listed are NOT horror films at all. Not because of stigma- but by definition.
Having horrifying elements does not make a film a horror film.(Never in my life have I EVER heard anyone ever refer to SE7EN as a horror film. It is a procedural with horror elements.)
I'm afraid, in your zeal for horror films, you are in fact miscatagorizing. Again- most of the films you listed do NOT go for horror beats in the story. Horrific elements- sure. But if you told a hardcore horror fan he 'must' see The Sixth Sense, he'll probably come back and womp you for recommending it. Because it isn't a horror film.
And if you ask John Carpenter what The Thing is he will tell you in no uncertain terms: It is a WESTERN. (!)
(And I think it has been mentioned before: The Thing remake IS a REMAKE. The bookends set it up as a prequel, but the rest is beat-for-beat (almost scene-for-scene) a remake of the original.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricker
Ordered, one of my fave horror classics of all time-can't wait to get this-love the color scheme, perfect for flick! :thumbs:
I wish we a had another Drew Struzan version....but this will also do until then! (Even if the figure does kinda look like Groot!)
JOCK is gettin' PAID these last 12 months!!!!:LOL:

Last edited:
Decent? You do know this JOHN CARPENTER's The Thing and NOT the remake, right?
It's a stone cold classic. And I am WAY more happy to be able to have this than that UK Play horizontal abomination that was just awful.
(I think one must also own the German copy just for Drew Stuzan's iconic poster art.
Even if it does say Das Ding:LOL:!)
Yep only decent for me! I'm a big John Carpenter fan but I would put this near the bottom of my favourite Carpenter films. It's still a good film, just not one of his best IMO.

Last edited:
Question about ordering from Target, as i never ordered multiple items from them. If i have all 3 Mondo steelbooks in separate order, will they combine them into 1 package? Also i don't know if i want them in package if they don't oack them well.

Question about ordering from Target, as i never ordered multiple items from them. If i have all 3 Mondo steelbooks in separate order, will they combine them into 1 package? Also i don't know if i want them in package if they don't oack them well.

No they ship each order. you are better off cancelling your orders and make one order, plus you will save on shipping and they might get shipped in a box.

Reactions: jeffster15
Carpenter only had one good movie. Halloween

1988They Live
1986 Big Trouble in Little China
1984 Starman
1983 Christine
1982 The Thing
1981 Escape from New York
1980 The Fog

I say you need to get to sleep. Your not thinking clearly and you need rest.

He owned the early 80's. What he did for us sci fi horror fans was a pretty damn good run.

I lived and partied hard in the 80's and his work was amazing.
BTW Ordered. This is one of my favorite sci-fi horror flicks of all time. It is right behind Alien in my list.

Reactions: Sigill