#008 The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) (Target Exclusive) [USA]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Release date: July 28, 2015
Purchase link: The Thing (Mondo SteelBook)
Price: $24.99
Group buy: apsmith21
Note: Region free

Hidefninja.com Exclusive article

Beauty-Shot-the-thing-mondo.jpg

TheThingSleevepic.jpg

Attachments

• thing1.jpg
    thing1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 967
  • thingfront1.jpg
    thingfront1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 907
Last edited by a moderator:
Cancelled my other order at Target.com (Flash Gordon/Shaun of the Dead) and reordered with all 3 Mondo steelbooks. Come on July 28th! :joy:

Most of them have a decent front artwork, a bit too artistic and comic for my tastes.

But what irks me is the back, the so-so inside artwork and the Steelbook logo ruining the look of the spine.

Enders Game is a nice one as they at least debossed the back.
The backs are a little plain but that's the only downside for me. The inside arts are good as they incorporate parts of the artwork. Drive and Dredd look great! The Steelbook on the spine doesn't bother me, if looks good when they are lined up next to each other.:)

Reactions: lgans316
All Mondo Steelbooks come with a slipcover that covers up the back of the steelbook, plus most people only display the front cover art not the back. Although I have to agree that the "Steelbook" logo on the spine is a bit of a turn off.

Why are they releasing all three films on the same date?! It seems like these are going to be very limited compare to other steelbooks Target has released, similar to True Detectives. I guess it's time for me to stop by the fertility center for some generous donation without having to rob the bank.

I don't find The Thing or Jaws scary in the least. And Jaws really does not go for horror beats in it's tone. Jaws was actually the opposite. Marketed as a horror (because horror was so popular at the time) when it really is not. You can count the scary scenes in Jaws on one finger- because it was not designed as a horror film.
Most of the the movies you listed are NOT horror films at all. Not because of stigma- but by definition.
Having horrifying elements does not make a film a horror film.(Never in my life have I EVER heard anyone ever refer to SE7EN as a horror film. It is a procedural with horror elements.)
I'm afraid, in your zeal for horror films, you are in fact miscatagorizing. Again- most of the films you listed do NOT go for horror beats in the story. Horrific elements- sure. But if you told a hardcore horror fan he 'must' see The Sixth Sense, he'll probably come back and womp you for recommending it. Because it isn't a horror film.
And if you ask John Carpenter what The Thing is he will tell you in no uncertain terms: It is a WESTERN. (!)
(And I think it has been mentioned before: The Thing remake IS a REMAKE. The bookends set it up as a prequel, but the rest is beat-for-beat (almost scene-for-scene) a remake of the original.)

Just because you don't find The Thing or Jaws scary in the least doesn't mean they're not horror films. You honestly consider The Thing to be more of a western than a sci-fi horror film, really? And Alien, Psycho, and The Sixth Sense are NOT horror films at all, by definition? The Thing (2011) is a prequel if ever there was one. It takes place directly before the events of Carpenter's version. By that logic, are all sequels that are rehashes of the original also remakes? Are Terminator 2 and Toy Story 2 remakes? More sources:

JOHN CARPENTER called The Thing a Western! (Not me!)
And except for the bookends The Thing remake is EXACTLY the same chain of events as the first film!
You can split hairs with Alien & Psycho- but The Sixth Sense is definitely NOT a horror film.
What is horrific in it?

I consider it a horror in the same way I consider JAWS a horror. Which is to say- really more about suspense than horror. I'm not a big horror fan and this is a favorite. It is a scifi suspense film with horror elements.
(and a great score by Ennio Morricone!)
Like American Werewolf- the practical effect here are still the zenith yet to be topped!
It's just a great movie. You won't regret it!

It's really about suspense and horror - the two are indivisible.

By the way, the score isn't entirely Morricone - a great chunk of it was written by John Carpenter - uncredited, but true.

Must disagree about the prequel, which was made with such exacting love and reverence of the original, right down to getting the sets exactly the same size, colour, and layout to the inch by the way.
The prequel by nature tells the story before The Thing (82) not exactly the same chain of events -QED.
As regards John Carpenter and westerns - he certainly has incorporated the western 'narrative'into some of his films - most particulalry Precinct 13 (Rio Bravo); but it is others who have referred to his films as westerns in disguise, not, to my recollection, the man himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolwut
It's really about suspense and horror - the two are indivisible.

By the way, the score isn't entirely Morricone - a great chunk of it was written by John Carpenter - uncredited, but true.

Must disagree about the prequel, which was made with such exacting love and reverence of the original, right down to getting the sets exactly the same size, colour, and layout to the inch by the way.
The prequel by nature tells the story before The Thing (82) not exactly the same chain of events -QED.
As regards John Carpenter and westerns - he certainly has incorporated the western 'narrative'into some of his films - most particulalry Precinct 13 (Rio Bravo); but it is others who have referred to his films as westerns in disguise, not, to my recollection, the man himself.
To be fair, Carpenter says he only did a little bit:
The instruments on The Thing soundtrack…
Well, now, I didn’t officially compose or perform the music on The Thing, I did little interstitial work. By that I mean these little tonal things. Very few.

And apart from that, was it orchestration or was it synthesizers?
It was synthesizer, but there was a couple of tones in the very opening and here and there I just dropped in a couple things. Ennio had composed the music separate from the movie, and it was fabulous but I felt it just needed a little… there was a little work that needed to be done here and there. Very small.

To be fair, Carpenter says he only did a little bit:
The instruments on The Thing soundtrack…
Well, now, I didn’t officially compose or perform the music on The Thing, I did little interstitial work. By that I mean these little tonal things. Very few.

And apart from that, was it orchestration or was it synthesizers?
It was synthesizer, but there was a couple of tones in the very opening and here and there I just dropped in a couple things. Ennio had composed the music separate from the movie, and it was fabulous but I felt it just needed a little… there was a little work that needed to be done here and there. Very small.

Not arguing with you mate, but you should know that John Carpenter is not and has never been known for blowing his own trumpet - he always underplays himself to the point of being dismissive.

You only have to listen to the score to know that there is a lot of John Carpenter in there - it carries hsi trademarks all through.

Not arguing with you mate, but you should know that John Carpenter is not and has never been known for blowing his own trumpet - he always underplays himself to the point of being dismissive.

You only have to listen to the score to know that there is a lot of John Carpenter in there - it carries hsi trademarks all through.
He sent Morricone samples of his ideas for the score . Morricone then ran with those ideas. Carpenter has commented on how it was interesting to him that of all the cues he sent him, Morricone ran with the one that sounded most like one he (Carpenter) would do.

He sent Morricone samples of his ideas for the score . Morricone then ran with those ideas. Carpenter has commented on how it was interesting to him that of all the cues he sent him, Morricone ran with the one that sounded most like one he (Carpenter) would do.

Not like you,but you're still falling into the trap John Carpenter always lays. If you believed everything he tells you, he might as well have sat at home and put his feet up while the rest of them got on with making the films without him.

He is extremely understated to say the least.