Release date: January 18th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £19.99

HDN Exclusive article here

01.jpg

02.jpg03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A fiver reduction is great news all-round :thumbs:
I was happy to read the email just now that Zavvi sent me today at 6.21PM :happy:

Looking forward to this more than any other steelbook pre-order.

Last edited:
Just pre ordered , really like the ark work on this .

This this mean they will be doing more mondo releases ?

@Flloydo I'm hoping they do the full range from now

Will be interesting to see what they go with. Will It be odds and Sod's of the us / Canadian wave? or their own editions too.
I have a feeling random selections of the current mondo wave and future releases depending on licensing in the uk etc

Reactions: Cobster
I have ordered it before the price drop with a 10% discount code.
Do you know If the 10% discount will be applied on the new price ?
I doubt that very much, pretty sure it won't.

On another note, zavvi must be suffering badly if they are desparate to reduce the price on pre-orders for this, OK, it was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE at £24.99, but even £19.99 is too much, Mondo or not, they should have stuck at £14.99 or less.

And why on earth start with a UK collection beginning with number #013 ???, no real collector is going to start a UK collection without the option to purchase the rest of the collection or know for a fact that the others will be made available for the UK market, it's absurd.
Starting with an unlucky number is a bad idea as well...:woot:

Reactions: Hooltra
Let's just keep fingers crossed that the next offerings are the 1 - 12 numbers and not the 14 and above numbers . . .
Random numbering is quite common with numbered releases and in my experience the Eureka "Masters of Cinema" collection and the Film 88 "Slasher" and "Italian" collections are prime examples of that.

I would think that the prospects of the previous titles being made available in the UK are pretty slim, due to the UK distribution rights being held by different companies.

Prior to the most recent batch of titles, all of the previous releases had been unique to either Canada or the USA. There was no overlap with a dual release in both countries due to the licensing issues. All of the Canadian releases had a different distributor in the US which precluded their release there.

Even when one of the big multinational companies is involved, such as Universal, it must be borne in mind that the various international companies within the group have a great deal of autonomy. An agreement with one doesn't automatically extend to the others, which would explain why the three previous US releases from Universal were not released in Canada, even though Universal also holds the Canadian rights.

Looking at the titles released in North America, the situation becomes even more murky when looking at which companies hold the UK rights to those titles. In a few cases it is the same company (Universal, Lionsgate and eOne), albeit given the caveat that the UK companies are separate and autonomous entities. The vast majority of those titles, however, are distributed in the UK by other companies which have, to date, had no previous involvement with the Mondo X line (Studio Canal, Icon and EiV).

The release of the earlier titles in the UK would require the participation of all of those companies who hold the UK distribution rights. Not an easy task. Although Mondo is probably trying to come to some arrangement with them, it's not something that's going to happen overnight. I also very much doubt that you will ever get a 100% across the board success rate.

Until that day happens, if you want a complete collection of the Mondo X line, it's going to be a case of investing in a multi-region player and getting rid of any aversion to buying overseas releases.

I think it may depend on how well this one sells - if it does well there should hopefully be a better chance of others to follow and I believe I remember that the original listing had "Mondo steelbookS" in it.

That being said, I personally believe that others must be in the pipeline as it would be nonsensical for this new Zavvi / Mondo relationship / collaboration to bear the fruit of JUST THE ONE steelbook . . .
Just the one would be most unfortunate for fans and prospective fans of Mondo artwork here in the U.K. who have yet to upgrade to a multi-region player or indeed for whatever other reason and as businesses they would lose out big-time if the mission was abandoned after one attempt to give us in the U.K. some interesting case and disc artwork plus cool translucent slips which I personally have only seen on Amarays (such as on "My Bloody Valentine" 2009 remake).

Nothing visible to differentiate it from other editions ? :confused:
No No.13 on the spine (or maybe because I can't zoom in I can't see it?

Nothing visible to differentiate it from other editions ? :confused:
No No.13 on the spine ?
Screenshot (43).png

Zoom in on the Photo top left corner of the spine
013 is on the spine it's under the mondo logo top left corner of the spine that is where all Mondo steelbooks have the number on the spine of every mondo steelbook

Mondo Steelbooks
000 Drive
001 Looper
002 Boyhood
003 First Blood
004 Pan's Labyrinth
005 Dredd
006 Flash Gordon
007 Shaun of the Dead
008 The Thing
009 Terminator 2
010 Ex_Machina
011 Total Recall
012 Nightcrawler
013 Reservoir Dogs
014 Highlander
015 The Boondock Saints

Last edited:
Reactions: virkia
Thank you pb, that's much better - I can see it now :thumbs:

I presume certification logos and possible Zavvi sticker positioning will be revealed at a later stage . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: paulboland
Thank you pb, I can see it now :thumbs:

I presume certification logos and possible Zavvi sticker positioning will be revealed at a later stage . . .
I doubt very much there will be any Zavvi sticker but won't say 100% it will not happen
Scanavo don't show rating logos on Steelbook photos on their website even if it's a UK only release
The photo shown is for both USA/UK

The UK release will have to have a age rating somewhere on the front as this is a requirement in the UK and I doubt very much it will have a separate Jcard to accommodate this
The UK release it will most likely be on the Mondo Slip itself which hopefully will be a removable stickers so it keeps this release in line with rest of the previous Mondo releases as in match each other and not have an unnecessary element that affects the artwork design which is not something Mondo Artwork fans would want

The Mondo Slip artwork is an important part of these steelbooks it not something you don't keep on the steelbook its part of the overall artwork so it would be a shame to have the design messed up with printed age rating

The age rating was printed though on the recent UK True Detectives Slipcover even though it used Mondo Artwork that release is not a Mondo X Steelbook that is part of this range of Mondo X range of steelbooks

Reactions: Frasr and virkia
I would agree that if the logos have to be printed then they should be printed on the back.
I completely agree that it would be preferable if the logos which will undoubtedly be on the front too (and maybe on the spine as well) are removable stickers.

Reactions: paulboland