2001: A Space Odyssey (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Hooltra

The French Touch
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
Paris, France
Release date: April 27th, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi.com (Live at 9 am GMT Sat 2/28)
Price: £14.99

Note: Limited to 2000 copies

2001_21.jpg

2001_31.jpg 2001_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted Zavvi about the dent in my steelbook. The packaging was fine so this happened prior to shipping. Instead of a replacement they offered me a 10% refund.. What is wrong with this company?
They always offer a discount first. Then, when you reject that, they offer a refund or (if still available) a replacement.

When I challenged them about it, they said that some people are prepared to accept a partial refund rather than return the item, but still doesn't represent good customer service in my opinion.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Cyberpunk88
I just got back from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at the CINERAMA DOME in L.A. in 70MM!!!
Wow! How special that was. Seeing a 70MM Cinerama movie where it premiered all those years ago!
There are some movies where you can truthfully say: "if you haven't seen it on the big screen- you haven't really seen it!"
Glorious!!! (And NO DIGITAL DCP can match the resolution of that 70MM film print!)
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds awesome @C.C. 95!
Well, @Sigill it was amazingly cool (not a perfect presentation- the sound was wanting). I wish everyone could see it! Pure cinema love!
Didn't you guys JUST get a new revival print shown in theaters recently in the UK?!!! I know you did, cuz I saw the trailer about it. (And was supremely jealous)!

Reactions: Sigill
Well, @Sigill it was amazingly cool (not a perfect presentation- the sound was wanting). I wish everyone could see it! Pure cinema love!
Didn't you guys JUST get a new revival print shown in theaters recently in the UK?!!! I know you did, cuz I saw the trailer about it. (And was supremely jealous)!
Yeah i do remember it was showing a while back. It was a new transfer so it would have looked good. I didn't get chance to see it but I bet it is a great experience on the big screen!:thumbs:

I just got back from seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at the CINERAMA DOME in L.A. in 70MM!!!
Wow! How special that was. Seeing a 70MM Cinerama movie where it premiered all those years ago!
There are some movies where you can truthfully say: "if you haven't seen it on the big screen- you haven't really seen it!"
Glorious!!! (And NO DIGITAL DCP can match the resolution of that 70MM film print!)
View attachment 159426

Wow that sounds so awesome buddy!!
Theres no 70MM no IMAX no nothing over here. Just normal Cinema. You got it real nice oversea :(:dead::banghead:
They do the classics from time to time like old Hitchcocks or old SciFi but not 70mm ... so jealous!!

Reactions: C.C. 95
I still find this movie overrated, has some nice scenes but as a whole I don't understand the fuss, mind you I'm in the Mark Kermode camp in so far as I think Silent Runnings is a better movie

Reactions: bealay
I still find this movie overrated, has some nice scenes but as a whole I don't understand the fuss, mind you I'm in the Mark Kermode camp in so far as I think Silent Runnings is a better movie
It's mainly all the amazing things he was able to do with the limited technology at the time. It's definitely an "artsy" film, in the same vain as Citizen Kane, which I find to be a terribly boring movie. But it was the first time they used makeup to age an actor rather than just hiring an older person to play the older character. At the time, it was extraordinary.

I also love how the last 23 minutes of 2001 sync up perfectly to Pink Floyd's song Echoes:

Last edited:
Because it INVENTED things you enjoy in movies today.
"Why is that shot special? I don't get it?"
Because it had never been done before in the history of cinema.
No 2001, no Jurassic Park. No 2001 no ILM, no WETA. If you can't respect those who invent the things you enjoy, you have a wacked view.
It's like saying you don't get the big deal about Edison's light bulb beacause "Rave Party Lights" are so much cooler.
Technological feats aside, it is a one of a kind cinema experience. There is no equal to 2001.

Can't compare 2001 and Silent Running,which I love, I find it astounding 2001 was released before the Moon landings, it's realism is of the highest order. Kubrick was a genius.
One of my cinema heroes, Douglas Trumbull, did the special effects for 2001, and directed Silent Running.
(Of course went on to pioneer more sfx in Close Encounters and Blade Runner. He is back in the business with a new High Def process that is 10 times what has been done before. He has had meetings with Cameron about the next Avatars being done with this new process).
I saw 2001 at the Cineramadome in L.A. about 8 months ago. Everything holds up like it was done today. The special effects are stunning. Makes CGI look like cartoons. The very next night I saw Fury Road there, too!
Ironic, because Fury Road was telling the same story: REAL EFFECTS not CGI!!
Two amazing nights of cinema for me.

Because it INVENTED things you enjoy in movies today.
"Why is that shot special? I don't get it?"
Because it had never been done before in the history of cinema.
No 2001, no Jurassic Park. No 2001 no ILM, no WETA. If you can't respect those who invent the things you enjoy, you have a wacked view.
It's like saying you don't get the big deal about Edison's light bulb beacause "Rave Party Lights" are so much cooler.
Technological feats aside, it is a one of a kind cinema experience. There is no equal to 2001.

Enjoyed reading your rant....................I don't like the movie much, terribly sorry

Enjoyed reading your rant....................I don't like the movie much, terribly sorry
To say you don't like it is fine.
But you said it was overrated and you don't understand all the fuss.
There is a very good reason it is considered one of the greatest movies of all time. You can not enjoy a movie, and still appreciate why it has a very special place in cinema and is revered.
If you don't know 'why' all the fuss- then you are willfully ignoring a milestone event in cinema.