Amplifiers

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Anyone running amplifiers with their receivers to boost wattage?

I've been trying to find a worthwhile economical 3 channel amplifier or similar to run my front soundstage and let the receiver take care of the surrounds, etc... so I can get more volume and better dynamic from my underpowered def techs.

EDIT:
They are rated for 200 watts RMS, 8 ohms
Currently running on an Harman Kardon AVR254 receiver

Last edited:
In home theater, pre-amps can also have processors in them as well. That way, they can decode a DTS-MA signal and separate it into the correct # of channels and then send the separate channel signals to a separate power amp.

The benefit of doing things separately is that you can get whatever processor or pre-amp you want. It can decode as much or as little as you want and can even provide super-duper clean signals if you want to fork over the cash. Plus you can then pick whatever kind of amp you want, which is where you'll see the most difference in your sound.

Also, by keeping the two separated, you (ideally)won't introduce any noise produced during signal processing into the signal to be amplified.

Much better description than me! I only used dedicated pre's in music lol

so any of you guy's have a pre-amp?,if so...how much did you fork over for it?,their out of my range since i'm not working at the moment and cost well onto $1'000 dollars to drive 5.1 sound.

I knew it was coming haha!

let's say 1200-1500...

but you also didn't mention how many channels you are looking to run...

say you just want to beef up your fronts (since surrounds don't need to be insane) you could go 2 channel or 3 channel.. and let your receiver power the surrounds and center channel, etc.. you could also just get a pre to power all channels

:)