And it begins........Apple/Gizmodo

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
FREMONT, Calif. - Gizmodo's editor, who posted pictures and details of a lost iPhone prototype, has given up his computer, digital camera and cell phone to law enforcement.

A special computer-crime task force made up of different law enforcement agencies searched Gizmodo editor Jason Chen's house and car, according to a statement and search warrant documents provided by Gizmodo.

The warrant says the computer and other devices may have been used to commit a felony.

Apple did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Chen said last week that the site paid $5,000 for the iPhone believed to be the new device Apple will release in a few months, and that Apple Monday asked for the phone back and received it.

Last Tuesday, he told MSNBC and several other news organizations that the phone "was not stolen," but was found by a person in a bar in Redwood City, Calif., about 20 miles from Apple's Cupertino headquarters. An Apple software engineer reportedly left the phone in the bar.

According to Gizmodo's site, "Last Friday night, California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team entered editor Jason Chen's home without him present, seizing four computers and two servers. They did so using a warrant by Judge of Superior Court of San Mateo."

Gaby Darbyshire, chief operating officer of Gawker Media, which owns Gizmodo, said on the site and in a statement to police that the search warrant for Chen's equipment was "invalid," and is contesting it.

That's bullshit. I wish I were rich so I could help this guy with an attorney. I very seriously doubt Gizmodo thought they were doing anything wrong in buying the phone, and i'm sure it wasn't stolen!

This story just pisses me off.

That's bullshit. I wish I were rich so I could help this guy with an attorney. I very seriously doubt Gizmodo thought they were doing anything wrong in buying the phone, and i'm sure it wasn't stolen!

This story just pisses me off.

the whole thing was shady, especially by gizmodo for calling the employee out. but come on apple, everyone knows it wasn't stolen, what are you trying to prove. you can't save face at this point, everyone knows one of your dumbass employees lost it

the whole thing was shady, especially by gizmodo for calling the employee out. but come on apple, everyone knows it wasn't stolen, what are you trying to prove. you can't save face at this point, everyone knows one of your dumbass employees lost it

That's my thing. To even imply he stole it was lame. He didn't even give the thing a proper teardown because he didn't want to destroy it.

If he REALLY stole it he wouldn't have put it on line. Gizmodo isn't some random guy, they obviously know that they'd be found out if it was stolen. They have way too much traffic to be that ignorant.

This isn't Apple, this is the DA....

Acting upon Apple's behalf ... no matter what is said, otherwise WTF are they wasting time on raids of this nature when they can do some real bustin' elsewhere!

Its political and about $$$ ... Apple Exec made a few calls and walah ...

Acting upon Apple's behalf ... no matter what is said, otherwise WTF are they wasting time on raids of this nature when they can do some real bustin' elsewhere!

Its political and about $$$ ... Apple Exec made a few calls and walah ...

Why wouldn't apple use their own lawyers? Why use some low punk DA... State is just trying to make an example.

The search warrant won't hold in court since the guy is a journalist.

Couldn't have said it better myself Wreck.

That's just the way it works Cali. If Apple used their lawyers ONLY, they wouldn't have gotten the raid done so quickly, if at all.

Couldn't have said it better myself Wreck.

That's just the way it works Cali. If Apple used their lawyers ONLY, they wouldn't have gotten the raid done so quickly, if at all.

Plus Apple doesnt want to be PUBLICLY involved in something like this ... then, the public would say how hostile and ruthless they are as a company ... this way, they can say ... We had nothing to do with it. *hands clean*

Trust me, someone took someone out for an expensive dinner or got some sporting venue tickets over this one. :hilarious: *you scratch my back, I scratch yours.*

Jon Stewart Slams Apple Over Its Handling of Gizmodo Case

Tonight on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart gave his take regarding Gizmodo's iPhone exclusive and the subsequent police raid on Jason Chen's home. Speaking directly to Apple and Steve Jobs, Stewart didn't hold back his criticism of them. Video inside.

Stewart first talked about how "excited" he was to see Gizmodo's report, before mocking the circumstances that led to its acquisition of the device.

Then, Stewart questioned whether it was necessary for Chen's home to be raided, stating, "the Gizmodo reviewer gets the meth lab in the basement treatment after he'd already given the phone back," before talking about how "creepy" Apple—or the "Appholes," as the screen called the company—was for its handling of the case.

Finally, Stewart delivered a direct address to Apple and Jobs in which he criticized the company for its increasing paranoia and obsessive control over the information related to its products, and also took some hilarious shots at AT&T.

Update: Via InOtherNews, here's a partial transcript of Stewart's statement to Apple/Jobs:

"Apple - you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming the man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! …It wasn't supposed to be this way - Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one! But you guys are busting down doors in Palo Alto while Commandant Gates is ridding the world of mosquitoes! What the **** is going on?!

…I know that it is slightly agitating that a blog dedicated to technology published all that stuff about your new phone. And you didn't order the police to bust down the doors, right? I'd be pissed too, but you didn't have to go all Minority Report on his ass! I mean, if you wanna break down someone's door, why don't you start with AT&T, for God sakes? They make your amazing phone unusable as a phone! I mean, seriously! How do you drop four calls in a one-mile stretch of the West Side Highway! There're no buildings around! What, does the open space confuse AT&T's signal?!
…Come on, Steve. Chill out with the paranoid corporate genius stuff. Don't go all Howard Hughes on us."

Video on Site: tv.gawker.com/5526868/jon-stewart-slams-apple-over-its-handling-of-gizmodo-case