Barbarella (aka Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy) (Blu-ray Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [USA]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 28, 2023
Purchase links: Arrow Video - Amazon - DiabolikDVD - Grindhouse Video - Zavvi USA
Price: $35.00 (Arrow Video) - $28.99 (Amazon) - $32.99 (DiabolikDVD) - $34.99 (Grindhouse Video - Zavvi)

370965903_691127823048623_8453758536563538706_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay
  • Six double-sided collector’s postcards
  • Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson, Paul Gravett, Véronique Bergen and Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén, and select archival material
Disc One - Feature

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Original lossless English mono audio, plus remixed Dolby Atmos surround and lossless French mono (featuring the voice of Jane Fonda)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by film critic Tim Lucas
  • Alternative opening and closing credits
  • Isolated score
Disc Two - Extras

• Another Girl, Another Planet, an appreciation of Barbarella by film critic Glenn Kenny
  • Paul Joyce’s behind the scenes featurette, Barbarella Forever!
  • Love, a two-hour in-depth discussion between film and cultural historians Tim Lucas & Steve Bissette on the impact and legacy of Barbarella
  • Dress to Kill, a 30-minute interview with film fashion scholar Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén on Jacques Fonteray’s world-changing costume designs
  • Framing for Claude, an interview with camera operator Roberto Girometti
  • Tognazzi on Tognazzi, actor/director Ricky Tognazzi discusses the life and work of his father and Barbarella star Ugo Tognazzi
  • An Angel’s Body Double, actor Fabio Testi discusses his early career as a stuntman and body double for John Phillip Law on Barbarella
  • Dino and Barbarella, a video essay by Eugenio Ercolani on producer Dino De Laurentiis
  • Trailer
  • US TV and radio spots
  • Image gallery

Reactions: Billy Talent
Preordered on amazon.us, just in case. Hopefully it'll come closer to me on amazon.it or de, so I don't have to double pay for it. But I would, this is Barbarella the icon! Love that cover so much.

Preordered on amazon.us, just in case. Hopefully it'll come closer to me on amazon.it or de, so I don't have to double pay for it. But I would, this is Barbarella the icon! Love that cover so much.
@m4st4
It's a USA/Canada release only

Note this thread is for the Blu-ray edition

If you want the 4K UHD edition that's a different thread
4K UHD USA

4K UHD USA (Arrow Store Exclusive)

Reactions: m4st4
Thank you! Too bad about the US-only thingie, but nvm I'll pay up. After all it's Barbarella.

Reactions: paulboland
So presumably they will find a way to mess it up. I don’t really trust Arrow that much.

And I prefer the blu ray steelbook too.

So presumably they will find a way to mess it up. I don’t really trust Arrow that much.

And I prefer the blu ray steelbook too.
Arrow 4K restorations are good and have been for years

If you say so.

12 Monkeys 4K…

Our replacement programme for 12 MONKEYS 4K UHD (UK – FCD2191 US/CA – AV380) is live, replacement discs are manufactured and shipping now.

And the scratch on The Last Starfighter…

I’ve had nothing but trouble from them.

If I buy this I expect there to be some problem with it. A missing/repeated scene, new scratches, missing audio, I don’t know.

If you say so.

12 Monkeys 4K…

Our replacement programme for 12 MONKEYS 4K UHD (UK – FCD2191 US/CA – AV380) is live, replacement discs are manufactured and shipping now.

And the scratch on The Last Starfighter…

I’ve had nothing but trouble from them.

If I buy this I expect there to be some problem with it. A missing/repeated scene, new scratches, missing audio, I don’t know.
Arrow have done lots of releases that had 4K restorations

4K restoration does not mean 4K UHD
It means negative had a 4K scan and from that a restoration is done.
That restoration can be then used for a Blu-ray or 4K UHD release or as a digital file

Only a small number releases required a replacement program and 4K replacement was provided for 12 Monkeys

There are lots other film distributors that don't correct mistakes

Arrow have done hundreds of releases

Never had a disc scratches on any arrow releases I have purchased
I have around 70% of the arrow video catalogue releases they done

1. Arrow have done lots of releases that had 4K restorations

But the ones I’ve either bought, or wanted to buy, have been the ones with problems.

2. 4K restoration does not mean 4K UHD

But they also have a 4K UHD for this. So I don’t understand your point. The 4K restoration will be used for UHD and blu ray, problems could equally affect both.

3. Only a small number releases required a replacement program and 4K replacement was provided for 12 Monkeys

Yes, but I don’t buy every Arrow disc. Only the ones I want. And those are the ones they mess up. You freely acknowledge they’ve had to replace ‘a small number’ of releases. Then there are all the ones they didn’t replace, here’s a few.

Title: The Beyond (UK)
Reason: Incorrect B&W opening
Replacement Program: Program closed, all new copies have the sepia opening although many feel that this is also incorrect and should look like it does on the Grindhouse Blu-ray.

Title: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Original UK BD)
Reason: Significantly altered aspect ratio, framing and colors.
Replacement Program: None, new remastered release will be released soon in the US/UK which most likely will not have the same issues.

Title: Zombie Flesh Eaters (UK)
Reason: Missing footage from start of the film after opening credits.
Replacement Program: All current editions have the corrected discs, if affected contact [email protected].

Title: Blind Woman's Curse (UK)
Reason: Wrong gamma level
Replacement Program: None, however all current US and UK discs have been corrected.

Title: Theatre of Blood (UK)
Reason: Glitches in special feature
Replacement Program: All current discs are corrected, if affected contact [email protected]

Title: Shivers (UK)
Reason: Cut version included instead of Director's Cut
Replacement Program: All current discs are corrected, if affected contact [email protected].

Title: Blood and Black Lace (UK/US)
Reason: Missing picture at both sides due to 1.66:1 crop of 1.85:1 framing
Replacement Program: None, all discs in the UK/US are affected.

Title: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (UK/US)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing crew members, sets and unfinished FX on the left-hand side.
Replacement Program: None, all discs are affected in the US/UK.

Title: Bride of Re-Animator (UK/US)
Reason: Original stereo track appears to be dual mono.
Replacement Program: None, all discs in the US/UK are affected.

Title: Creepshow 2 (US)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing crew members, sets and unfinished FX on both sides and top/bottom.
Replacement Program: None, all discs are identical in the US.

Title: House (UK/US)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing crew members, sets and unfinished FX on the left-hand side and top/bottom.

Title: House II (UK/US)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing goofs on the left-hand side.

Unconfirmed Issues:

Title: House III (UK)
Reason: Framing is off in uncut scenes due to extra information showing more on the left-hand side.
Replacement Program: None.

Title: House IV (UK)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing more on the left-hand side.

Title: Crimes of Passion (UK/US)
Reason: Framing is off due to extra information showing more on the left-hand side.

Title: The Stuff (UK/US)

Title: Dillinger(UK/US)
4. Arrow have done hundreds of releases

And I don’t want 99% of them. As above, they mess up the ones I want to buy.

5. Never had a disc scratches on any arrow releases I have purchased

I’m not talking about DISC scratches. I’m talking about scratches on the film, that weren’t there in earlier versions of the movie. There’s one on the Last Starfighter blu ray from Arrow. It wasn’t on the earlier studio release. They, mostly, fixed it on the 4K, presumably because of either comments or complaints about it, and because they released the 4K later.

Which leads me to another complaint I’ve had with Arrow. 4K masters, but only releasing the blu ray. Then a year or so later the 4K comes along. I’ve learned not to buy a blu ray from Arrow, you know a 4K is coming, eventually.

6. I have around 70% of the arrow video catalogue releases they (have) done

And I have 1%. You’re obviously an Arrow fanboy, can’t stand any criticism of them, and feel the need to run PR for them.

It seems to me that if you want to buy an Arrow release you might want to hold off while the complaints come in, then wait for the new discs to be released BEFORE buying.

I recently stopped buying since the whole Bruce Lee boxset debacle, since they didn't even bother adressing the issue with the Lee sets, I ain't gonna bother ordering anything else from the UK.

I will only buy from USA stores from this point since the UK can't seem to do their jobs right, funny how I never have issues with USA orders but every single time I order from the UK there is a problem.
My last order from a UK freight forwarding company came in a garbage bag, contained records and bluray sets, all of them damaged and they refuse to refund anything, contacted the american main office and they apologized and offered me a refund and since then they closed down the awful UK forwarding adress.
USA all way for me

Attachments

• hgkjfdg.jpg
    hgkjfdg.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
Note highlighted in red

Title: The Beyond (UK)
Reason: Incorrect B&W opening
There was a Replacement Program
Title: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Original UK BD)
Reason: Significantly altered aspect ratio, framing and colors.
4K UHD release properly restored in 4K version with the correct framing
Title: Zombie Flesh Eaters (UK)
Reason: Missing footage from start of the film after opening credits.
There was Replacement Program: All current editions have the corrected discs
Title: Blind Woman's Curse (UK)
Reason: Wrong gamma level
All current US and UK discs have been corrected.
Title: Theatre of Blood (UK)
Reason: Glitches in special feature
Replacement Program : All current discs are corrected
Arrow automatically sent corrected discs for orders done direct with arrow order where they shipped some orders early before issue was noticed and all other stock was recalled from retailers before release date and those retailers was sent corrected release
Amazon UK by mistake had shipped some stock with the error even though they was told by arrow to wait for replacement stock but when customers contacted amazon they was sent corrected release

Title: Shivers (UK)
Reason: Cut version included instead of Director's Cut
There was a Replacement Program: All current discs are corrected,

There is lots of releases from other labels including the mainsteam labels Universal/Warner/Disney/Sony etc that had disc issues but did not do replacement program or do a correction on later re-releaes

Universal did though fix some releases example Psycho

As I said, problems, problems. And my post mentions replacement programs, situations where the people who were first to buy were shafted but later discs were corrected, and so on. And you do continue to fly the flag for Arrow, don’t you?
They can’t get it right first time? As I said, with Arrow it seems it’s best to let the ‘early adopters’ identify the problems first. Then either wait for the corrected version, or decide if you can live with what you’re offered.

There’s a reason I keep a couple of DVD movies despite blu rays being available.

Yes, there are releases from other labels including the major studios. But I wonder, how does the Arrow error rate compare to others? To be fair, 4K UHD seems to have more problems than I’d expect for what is a niche/premium format, but I’m very wary of anything from Arrow. As I said, of the few Arrow titles I’m interested in, they all have problems. ALL.