Batman: Arkham Asylum - Megathread - One of the best this year?

Jan 29, 2009
For the most part, superhero games have only managed to be "good" and not "great" in the past. But we may get something very special when Batman: Arkham Asylum releases in June (yep, another potentially hot June title).

According to MCVUK, Eidos says that Batman will be one of the biggest productions of 2009 and moreover, it will "set a new benchmark for licensed video games." As the article points out, this is yet another bold claim from a publisher; you may recall Activision's statement saying that Modern Warfare 2 will be the "#1 entertainment property" of the year. But despite the perceived rashness of such claims, from what we've seen of Arkham Asylum, we're almost ready to believe Eidos. Said head of UK marketing Jon Brooke:

"We expect Batman Arkham Asylum to not only be the biggest game of the summer but one of the stand-out games of the year. It’s as close to perfect as we’ve ever come, it looks amazing, plays beautifully and has a rich twisting storyline with enormous replayability. I’m confident enough to say that it will set a new benchmark for licensed games and it’s going to establish itself as one of our best games ever."

...if that's not confidence, we don't know what is. Brooke also went on to say that they've got some serious advertising and marketing lined up to push the game, and it'll run for about four months. He says it's their "biggest campaign of the year" and they're definitely going to "make some noise." Well, we don't mind that. If you haven't done so already, check out the latest video for the game; the Invisible Predator Trailer. As you can see, this title really does have a ton of potential, and those of you waiting for Infamous - which releases right around the same time - may be faced with a tough decision...

Source: PSXextreme.com - Eidos: Batman

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to need a serious video card in order to play this puppy! Newegg has an offer than if you buy certain evga video cards you get the game for free!

I am so looking for an EVGA 260 for $189 that should cover my needs, plus free game! ;)

thats a pretty sweet deal, cause if you look at it the other way, its the card for under $150 :)

Batman: Arkham Asylum receives Guinness World Record

Gritty superhero romp Batman: Arkham Asylum has notched up a Guinness World Record for the ‘Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever,’ achieving an average score of 91.67 from reviews around the world.

Speaking on the milestone, Guinness’ Gaz Deaves commented: “We are so pleased to be awarding Batman: Arkham Asylum a Guinness World Record,” adding, “It is a fantastic new game and due to the reaction of gaming experts we believe it has a well deserved place in the Guinness World Records book.”

Released earlier this week on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Batman: Arkham Asylum splices hard-hitting combat with stealthy detective escapades, with the legendary Dark Knight finding himself up against a plethora of villains, including The Joker, Harley Quinn and many more.

love this game so far. only played for about an hour, but man, i can already tell its gonna be a great ride.

the challenge rooms add a nice touch as well.

ive been waiting a long time for a game like this....

I finished it up last night. Such a great game, I enjoyed every minute of it. I think i can safely put it in my top 5 of ps3 games. And I still have a bit to do, gotta find all the riddles and then play all the challenge rooms. Getting some high scored on the challenge rooms is going to be super hard.

How many of you sit at the main menu long enough to read the ticker at the bottom? None… Well that might be why no one has reported this until now, but on that ticker it seems Eidos has been advertising Free DLC for awhile (pic below via joystiq). What would you guys like to see in this Free Batman DLC? Challenge Room? More Story?

http://projectgamers.com/2009/09/08/new-free-dlc-for-batman-arkham-asylum/

Free DLC coming Sept 17th.

Last edited by a moderator: