Blockbuster UK in administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoneism

Steel Player
Premium Supporter
Mar 8, 2012
Not too sure where to post this, as I don't believe they stocked steelbooks, but another film and game retailer looks to be disappearing from the UK high streets! :(

DVD and video games rental firm Blockbuster UK, which has 528 stores in the UK employing 4,190 staff, has gone into administration

Deloitte appointed as Blockbuster administrators
Deloitte has been appointed administrators to Blockbuster Entertainment Limited and Blockbuster GB Limited who trade as Blockbuster, the DVD and video games rental Company.

In recent years Blockbuster has faced increased competition from, internet based providers along with the shift to digital streaming of movies and games.

We are working closely with suppliers and employees to ensure the business has the best possible platform to secure a sale, preserve jobs and generate as much value as possible for all creditors.

The core of the business is still profitable and we will continue to trade as normal in both retail and rental whilst we seek a buyer for all or parts of thebusiness as a going concern. During this time gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster’s trade-in scheme will be honoured towards the purchase of goods.

– LEE MANNING FROM DELOITTE

Blockbuster UK in administration
DVD and video games rental firm Blockbuster UK, which has 528 stores in the UK employing 4,190 staff, has gone into administration, Deloitte said.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-01-16/blockbuster-uk-in-administration/

Very bad times!!

Reactions: vurt and Frasr
I thought Blockbuster would have been one of the first to go to be honest. The one here closed down years ago. This week is turning out to be hell!

I thought Blockbuster would have been one of the first to go to be honest. The one here closed down years ago. This week is turning out to be hell!

Blockbuster here shut down most all its stores in the states too. Still some left tho. They have restructured and organized and a couple quarters ago they were doing better since they sell dish network (or maybe its directTV?) inside their stores. However ... think they arent doing so well again if I recall their last quarterly statement.

So yeah doesnt surprise me to see them go in the UK.

Sad to hear but I don't know how they kept going this far with the easy availability of online movie entertainment.

I really think that longterm there will be no businesses based on the retailing of hard-copy media. Everything will exist only as a digital file.

This is gutwrenching news on top of recent announcements. I feel so much for the staff. Like Noodles bit surprised this hasn't happened sooner. One wonders who's next. ?

Last edited:
To be honest i'm not surprised at this, to rent a movie was an extorniate amount!

Anyone remember Choices Videos? Now they were awesome £1 for 7 Day rental on movies and video games... Bargain.

@ ricster I agree re Waterstones but think Currys/PC World are better placed despite the online onslaught and negativity towards them from a lot of quarters. Pushing Currys and PC World into one store a while back certainly helped them.

Last edited:
@ ricster I agree re Waterstones but think Currys/PC World are better placed despite the online onslaught and negativity towards them from a lot of quarters. Pushing Currys and PC World into one store a while back certainly helped them.

It was a wise decision wasnt it? Currys and PCWorld together definitely saved them. Was suprised to see comet going so fast. After Powerhouse going and Comet, theres only Currys left as a dedicated store. Most stuff they stock is available in smaller choices in supermarkets, online and Amazon.

Unbelievable, one by one dropping like flies. Not good for the economy and thousands of people jobless :(

It was a wise decision wasnt it? Currys and PCWorld together definitely saved them. Was suprised to see comet going so fast. After Powerhouse going and Comet, theres only Currys left as a dedicated store. Most stuff they stock is available in smaller choices in supermarkets, online and Amazon.

The other thing is that Dixon Group or DRG or whatever they're called these days is a very large public company (turnover is GBP 8 billion) and has a vast European network. If it did go that would be 38,000 out of work.

Last edited:
They went down here in Canada last year. They had a massive liquidation and some stores have been replaced with Videotron (competitor here in Quebec).

Think i'll be going into administration soon as this rate

another 4000+ people out of work :(

Blockbuster closed all there stores here in Canada in 2011 so this is no surprise at all and took 2300 jobs with it. This was simply bound to happen in the UK after they shut down in Canada and USA (I think USA has a few stores left though).

Reactions: Steelknight47
If Waterstones go, then I am screwed, we supply a LOT of their books.

Sad about Blockbuster, the kids used to love coming along on Saturday, choosing a kids film for a £1, bit of popcorn to go with it.

I sold all my DVD's to them, when I upgraded to Blu Ray, got ripped off mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.