Blood and Black Lace (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Arrow Video) (Arrow Store Exclusive) [UK]

May 30, 2014
Release date: April 13, 2015
Purchase link: Arrow Films
Price: £22.99

12931033_1173440246023301_8356010950828651188_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Release date: April 13, 2015
Purchase Link Arrow Films
Price: £22.99

10426162_909927589041236_7031826582414132788_n.jpg

BLOOD_LACE_1_3D_SB_FRONT-228x228.jpg

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Limited Edition SteelBook featuring original artworks
  • New 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Optional Italian and English soundtracks presented in original uncompressed mono PCM audio
  • Newly translated subtitles for the Italian audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English audio
  • Brand new audio commentary by Mario Bava’s biographer Tim Lucas
  • Psycho Analysis – a new documentary on Blood and Black Lace and the origins of the giallo genre featuring interviews with directors Dario Argento (Suspiria) and Lamberto Bava (Demons), screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi (All the Colors of the Dark) critics Roberto Curti and Steve Della Casa, crime novelist Carlo Lucarelli and others
  • An appreciation by Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani, the creative duo behind Amer and The Strange Color of Your Body’s Tears
  • Yellow – the much-acclaimed neo-giallo by Ryan Hansom & Jon Britt
  • Gender and Giallo – a visual essay by Michael Mackenzie exploring the giallo’s relationship with the social upheavals of the 1960s and 70s
  • Panel discussion on Mario Bava featuring Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava and Steve Della Casa, recorded at the 2014 Courmayeur Film Festival
  • The Sinister Image: Cameron Mitchell – an episode of David Del Valle’s television series, devoted to the star of Blood and Black Lace and presented in full
  • The alternative US opening titles, sourced from Joe Dante’s private print and scanned in 2K especially for this release
  • Original theatrical trailer, with optional English and Italian audio
  • Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Howard Hughes, author of Cinema Italiano and Mario Bava: Destination Terror, and an interview with Joe Dante, David Del Valle on Cameron Mitchell and more, all illustrated with archive
DETAILS:Region: A+B / 1+2
Rating: 18
Cat No: FCD1077
Duration: 89
Language: Italian/ English
Subtitles: English/ English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio: Mono
Discs: 1

Note
Steelbook is Blu ray only
1 Disc

Last edited:
Reactions: Olymphat and Sigill
Not sure about that artwork. It's nice to see Arrow get exclusives though. I think that price needs to come down though, they normally charge less if you pre-order early.

Not sure about that artwork. It's nice to see Arrow get exclusives though. I think that price needs to come down though, they normally charge less if you pre-order early.
Arrow Films done away with pre order price reduction last year and have said no plans to bring it back

It is though very expensive if it was not an Arrow Video Store exclusive it would have been cheaper elsewhere

I will be asking them how limited this is as if it's a 4000 print run it will not end up sold out and would end up cheaper later

If it's a limited print less than 2000 that might change things
I have purchased all their steelbooks so far and will continue to do so but I would like this to be a cheaper price

Reactions: Sigill
Can't believe people are complaining about the price, the level of care that Arrow put in with all the extra content as well as a FULL remaster of the film makes this easily good value for money if you are a serious film collector. People seem happy to pay £30 for a paper slip covering some terrible steels yet complain at the price of a package with extra's that far outstrips anything any Asian company offers. So it might not be as limited and doesn't have some card round it but the quality of content inside is far superior to 90% or steelbook releases.

Can't believe people are complaining about the price, the level of care that Arrow put in with all the extra content as well as a FULL remaster of the film makes this easily good value for money if you are a serious film collector. People seem happy to pay £30 for a paper slip covering some terrible steels yet complain at the price of a package with extra's that far outstrips anything any Asian company offers. So it might not be as limited and doesn't have some card round it but the quality of content inside is far superior to 90% or steelbook releases.

Pretty much in complete agreement with you there, and as much as I like my pretty packaging, the content will always outweigh what's on the outside. I really love what Arrow do, but I have to say that I think their more recent Steelbooks have been very average; not bad per se, but just underwhelming. They've been knocking it out of the park with their regular Amaray artwork though.

Reactions: RepoMan90

I agree on the attention to detail arrow video are the best especially with extras they go out of their way to give you exclusive very well made interviews and new developed documentary features and are quality releases with lot of the films remastered and uncut

It's €27 Euro and compared to previous is more expensive so it's going to be noticed the difference in price compared to other arrow releases and end of the day we all like to pay cheaper if possible

I will be getting this as I always purchase Arrow Video steelbooks
That's not going to change but I would like many others always want to get at cheaper price if possible

Extras are a pleasure for me with arrow video releases and this release is impressive for that reason

Looking forward to seeing all the artwork and having this in my collection

Last edited:
Reactions: psychoscot
The pricing seems expensive but that is compared to past Arrow Releases. They do release great editions and put a lot of care into them but I think they will struggle to sell out at this point even if it's only a 2000 print run. I think for a film of this age £19.99 should have been the maximum they should have charged IMO.

Reactions: paulboland
I currently have 800 points with them ( thank you Christmas sale) , which is £8 off. Will still have to wait until after pay day though.

Awesome to see this getting the Arrow treatment, the colours in this film are pretty incredible and I always felt this was one of the most atmospheric of the Giallo genre films, so its a definite purchase for me.

But I would agree with @psychoscot on his point here, for £22.99 this is an awesome package, especially compared to other limited/special editions from around the world, and given how much I'm willing to shell out for say, a Plain Archive package, which I adore for all their attention to detail on packaging, I still sometimes feel a little cold when it comes to seeing what's on the actual disc. From a personal point of view I tend to hold the extra content as being one of the most appealing elements of a release, as just like on in this package, the insight they can give you to the impact of the film upon the world and the world upon the film can give you a whole new appreciation on a film that perhaps you may not have given much thought to in the first place. Arrow go above and beyond what is expected on pretty much every one of their releases and along with Criterion and the MOC series have set the standard for what can constitute a complete blu-ray package, and looking at the list of special features here for this release, each one seems at least to my own eyes to hold a loving candle to the film itself.

Again this is my own opinion, and I can certainly see the reasons for why people feel this is an expensive release, like it being a catalogue title or for perhaps not feeling the choice of art, but when I compare it to what I often pay for releases simply because of packaging, be it Plain Archive, Kimchi, Zavvi or any company that releases premium blu-ray packages, for what's included I have never regretted dishing out on an Arrow release, and I'm pretty confident I never will.

* On a completley un-related note, for those who are interested Arrow are also releasing Massacre Gun by Yasuharu Hasabe as an Arrow Store exclusive. I haven't seen any threads for it so I thought I'd mention it here, its limited to 3000 copies and is in a standard amaray. Take care yall! :thumbs:

Last edited: