The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 15th, 2015
Purchase link: MediaMarkt
Price: EUR 15.99

image.jpg

There is SO musch wrong with UHD and its timing and cost, overhead, etc. This is not some big bully that is gonna come out swinging against Blu ray sales. It is too niche. And there is almost ZERO content. This is not taking off.
If it is lucky, it will have a slow build. But replacing Blu rays? No way. It is a niche item.

Agreed. I have waxed lyrical about the problems and limitations in the 4k thread - only the blindly dedicated and those who believe every press release they read buck the trend.
Like curved screens, it is, in real terms, a massive marketing technique to shift more 'product'

The lack of content, particularly broadcast content will kill it stone dead - not to mention the fact that the better sales outlets are actively telling the customers they are wasting their money for the most part. And if you watch at under 65 inch (even 65 inch is marginal improvement at best) then they are 100% right.

In short, I wish the Plasma manufacturers had put as much effort into marketing their wares in the past . .

If 4k had come along 20 years down the line when broadcasters are likely thinking of upgrading their systems wholesale, then it would have stood a good chance of succeeding - but right now, when they are loathe to spend money in order to broadcast 1080p content uncompressed - not a chance!

Now, this Bram Stoker's Dracula - really hope they keep the artwork. As with the rest of the wave, it gets away from the norm and is really rather good.
As regards the fuss over the disc; reminds me of the scaremongering and tosh spoken about the new edition of Spartacus.

Reactions: Ranavalone
Agreed. I have waxed lyrical about the problems and limitations in the 4k thread - only the blindly dedicated and those who believe every press release they read buck the trend.
Like curved screens, it is, in real terms, a massive marketing technique to shift more 'product'

The lack of content, particularly broadcast content will kill it stone dead - not to mention the fact that the better sales outlets are actively telling the customers they are wasting their money for the most part. And if you watch at under 65 inch (even 65 inch is marginal improvement at best) then they are 100% right.

In short, I wish the Plasma manufacturers had put as much effort into marketing their wares in the past . .

If 4k had come along 20 years down the line when broadcasters are likely thinking of upgrading their systems wholesale, then it would have stood a good chance of succeeding - but right now, when they are loathe to spend money in order to broadcast 1080p content uncompressed - not a chance!

Now, this Bram Stoker's Dracula - really hope they keep the artwork. As with the rest of the wave, it gets away from the norm and is really rather good.
As regards the fuss over the disc; reminds me of the scaremongering and tosh spoken about the new edition of Spartacus.
And guess what? OLED LG and Samsung 65 inch screens are here! Delivered to your home in 2 MONTHS!
OLED is going to obliterate UHD TVs.
And yes, Jack is correct, that curved screens were a marketing scam.

Reactions: JackRegan
Unfortunately, it has now been confirmed that the two new Blu-ray releases of this title in Germany contain different discs!

The standard Amaray, with the image of Dracula and the razor on the cover, definitely includes the new 4k remastered disc. This has been confirmed by those who have it.

It has, however, been reported on the German forum, Cinefacts, by those who have purchased it thinking that it would also include the new disc, that the 'Pop Art' Steelbook only includes the previously released disc.

At this stage, it is not known whether this was an error on Sony's part or a deliberate policy to clear stocks of the old disc.

It also raises questions as to whether this issue will also affect the UK and Italian Steelbook releases.

• Informative
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Unfortunately, it has now been confirmed that the two new Blu-ray releases of this title in Germany contain different discs!

The standard Amaray, with the image of Dracula and the razor on the cover, definitely includes the new 4k remastered disc. This has been confirmed by those who have it.

It has, however, been reported on the German forum, Cinefacts, by those who have purchased it thinking that it would also include the new disc, that the 'Pop Art' Steelbook only includes the previously released disc.

At this stage, it is not known whether this was an error on Sony's part or a deliberate policy to clear stocks of the old disc.

It also raises questions as to whether this issue will also affect the UK and Italian Steelbook releases.
To be honest, I never thought for a second that the Pop Art steelbook would have the 4K remaster.

To be honest, I never thought for a second that the Pop Art steelbook would have the 4K remaster.

The confusion has arisen due to the J-card of the German edition listing the language and subtitle specifications of the new 4k remastered disc, leading people to assume that it's the new disc that's been included, since the previous disc had completely different language and subtitle options.

The same problem looks likely to beset the UK release since the J-card for that edition also details the languages and subtitles of the new disc, as opposed to the previous one. As you've probably already seen from the discussion in the UK thread.

• Informative
Reactions: C.C. 95
Only the amaray contains 4K

This new master is the best 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' has ever looked on home video, but there are a few moments that may have been compromised by new framing

Last edited:
Only the amaray contains 4K

This new master is the best 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' has ever looked on home video, but there are a few moments that may have been compromised by new framing
Please, explain when you have time. I have not had a chance to look at it yet. But, it is kinda hard to mess up that much within a 1.85:1 frame, so I'm curious where this might occur.

Please, explain when you have time. I have not had a chance to look at it yet. But, it is kinda hard to mess up that much within a 1.85:1 frame, so I'm curious where this might occur.

Sure, I can try

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

The original 2007 Blu-ray pressing was called "disappointing" for its flatness, blemishes, and noise.

Overall the new transfer manages to improve on those complaints, removing all but a few blemishes and encoding errors. Indeed, this edition is more filmic than ever because, in the place of digital artifacting and noise, we have a finally tuned grain structure that fits with how the movie was made -- basically, because of all the optical printing, 'Dracula' is always going to be fairly grainy. Because of the finer grain structure, skin tones are also less blotchy, while black levels and colors are about even with the previous release (though less saturated and there still isn't much shadow detail to be found).

Mina_Dracula_2007.jpg

Mina_Dracula_2015.jpg

Another demonstrable benefit to the new release involves any high contrast or backlit sequences. In the 2007 version, banding would rear up, while 2015 edition transitions from light to dark in a more gradual and natural fashion.

So overall, this new 4K master does a lot of things right and boosts finer details and perceived resolution without any sort of digital enhancements.

But there are quibbles that might raise a few alarms.

Dracula_OldCamera_2007.jpg

Dracula_OldCamera_2015.jpg

1. The entire film appears to have been reframed slightly up and to the left. Generally, this is impossible to notice (I missed it until I was grabbing screenshots), but there is one scene where Dracula walks down a London street, the one filmed using an older camera and film stock, and as he notices Mina, his glasses are cut off for a few frames.

2 The 2007 white balance has shifted to a more yellow or sepia tone, or and, in a few night scenes, overt blue tinting has been replaced with more natural lighting (this is actually a good thing). Contrast and saturation appear to have been dropped a little, which is an improvement. The bold red and green colors might not pop anymore, but they're more lifelike.

Mina_Lucy_2007.jpg

Mina_Lucy_2015.jpg

Sure, I can try

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

The original 2007 Blu-ray pressing was called "disappointing" for its flatness, blemishes, and noise.

Overall the new transfer manages to improve on those complaints, removing all but a few blemishes and encoding errors. Indeed, this edition is more filmic than ever because, in the place of digital artifacting and noise, we have a finally tuned grain structure that fits with how the movie was made -- basically, because of all the optical printing, 'Dracula' is always going to be fairly grainy. Because of the finer grain structure, skin tones are also less blotchy, while black levels and colors are about even with the previous release (though less saturated and there still isn't much shadow detail to be found).

View attachment 193199
View attachment 193200

Another demonstrable benefit to the new release involves any high contrast or backlit sequences. In the 2007 version, banding would rear up, while 2015 edition transitions from light to dark in a more gradual and natural fashion.

So overall, this new 4K master does a lot of things right and boosts finer details and perceived resolution without any sort of digital enhancements.

But there are quibbles that might raise a few alarms.

View attachment 193201

View attachment 193202

1. The entire film appears to have been reframed slightly up and to the left. Generally, this is impossible to notice (I missed it until I was grabbing screenshots), but there is one scene where Dracula walks down a London street, the one filmed using an older camera and film stock, and as he notices Mina, his glasses are cut off for a few frames.

2 The 2007 white balance has shifted to a more yellow or sepia tone, or and, in a few night scenes, overt blue tinting has been replaced with more natural lighting (this is actually a good thing). Contrast and saturation appear to have been dropped a little, which is an improvement. The bold red and green colors might not pop anymore, but they're more lifelike.

View attachment 193203
View attachment 193204
Thanks @Manqu Qhapaq!
I saw BSD many times in the theater on release and owned the Criterion LD, and I can tell you for sure- the color timing on the new remaster is back to being what BSD looked like originally!! Very nice!! (For instance- the outdoor night scenes were never lit blue).
I guess I'm just going to have to put that bad boy in to see if the adjusted framing is detrimental. Maybe in the new intro FFC gives some insight...but it looks like it will be a grand revisiting of this amazing picture!
BEWARE!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Manqu
Thus, no inside art in this Project PopArt wave (n)(n)
That was expected with this second wave as the previous wave was also just coloured on the inside
It's better than been bare metal but yes I would have liked all of pop art Steelbooks had inside artwork instead of just been coloured

Reactions: bradipolpo
Thinking I might just cancel this altogether now.

No new transfer. No inside art. Boring back art and that spine is just ugly. (Never saw that font associated with the film before)

I was really only getting this for the new transfer, although I knew deep down it wouldn't be included for that price.

Might just go with the new superior 4K Amaray release :(

Thinking I might just cancel this altogether now.

No new transfer. No inside art. Boring back art and that spine is just ugly. (Never saw that font associated with the film before)

I was really only getting this for the new transfer, although I knew deep down it wouldn't be included for that price.

Might just go with the new superior 4K Amaray release :(
Yeah, it is all kinds of weak. But did anybody really think they were going to get a definitive BSD steelbook from Pop Art for $10-$20??!!!:rofl:
I just got it for sh*ts and giggles! It's just an odd little thing I'm picking up for $10. The New 4K release is the one you want for the actual film.:thumbs::D

Reactions: BluSteel2012