Camera Obscura: The Walerian Borowczyk Collection (Arrow Video) [UK]

Baltic

Premium Supporter
Sep 8, 2013
Riga, LV
Release Date : August 18, 2014 (formerly June 30, 2014)

Price : from £74.99

Links : Arrow Films, Amazon

UPC/EAN : 5027035011004

Spec : Audio: TBC, Region: B

Format : Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD

Directed by : Walerian Borowczyk

Limited Edition collection featuring five feature films :
  • Theatre of Mr & Mrs Kabal (1967)
  • Goto, Isle of Love (1968)
  • Blanche (1971)
  • Immoral Tales (1974)
  • The Beast (1975)
And the short films :
  • The Astronauts (1959)
  • The Concert (1962)
  • Grandmother's Encyclopaedia (1963)
  • Renaissance (1963)
  • Angels' Games (1964)
  • Joachim's Dictionary (1965)
  • Rosalie (1966)
  • Gavotte (1967)
  • Diptych (1967)
  • The Phonograph (1969)
  • A Private Collection (1973)
  • Venus on the Half-Shell (1975)
  • The Greatest Love of All Time (1978)
  • Scherzo Infernal (1984)

Full description :
Synopsis:This groundbreaking collection brings together Walerian Borowczyk’s key films from a twenty-five-year period stretching from 1959 through to 1984.

This unique release includes five of Borowczyk’s provocative feature films: Theatre de M et Mme Kabal, Goto, l’ile d’amour, Blanche, Contes Immoraux and La Bete as well as his groundbreaking short films from this period.

Not only are many of these films available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time, but also in new digital high definition restorations approved by the director’s widow, Ligia Branice.

In addition to exclusive documentaries featuring cast and crew, an hour long portrait of Borowczyk is to be included, featuring the director’s musings on painting, animation and sex.

Accompanying this seminal release is a book edited by Borowczyk experts Daniel Bird and Michael Brooke featuring newly commissioned essays on Borowczyk’s films and art, as well as an account of the meticulous restoration process involved.

To round off the release is, for the first time, an English translation of Borowczyk’s 1992 collection of short stories, Anatomy of the Devil, translated by the director’s assistant, Michael Levy.

Arrow Academy’s Walerian Borowczyk Collection is a vital addition to anyone interested in either world cinema, animation or experimental film.

LIMITED EDITION BOX SET SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

Brand new 2K restorations of Borowczyk films
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the films and extras.

THE SHORT FILMS & THEATRE OF MR AND MRS KABAL

Introduction by filmmaker Terry Gilliam
Film is not a Sausage: Borowczyk’s Short Films – A new interview programme featuring Borowczyk, producer Dominique Duvergé-Ségrétin, assistant André Heinrich and composer Bernard Parmegiani
Blow Ups – A new visual essay by Daniel Bird concerning Borowczyk’s works on paper
Borowczyk’s commercials

GOTO, ISLE OF LOVE

Introduction by artist and Turner Prize nominee Craigie Horsfield
The Concentration Universe: Goto, Isle of Love – A new interview programme featuring actor Jean-Pierre Andréani, co-writer Dominique Duvergé-Ségrétin, cameraman Noël Véry and camera assistant Jean-Pierre Platel
The Profligate Door – A new documentary about Borowczyk’s sound sculptures featuring curator Maurice Corbet

BLANCHE

Introduction by director Leslie Megahey
Ballad of Imprisonment: Blanche – A new interview programme featuring producer Dominique Duvergé-Ségrétin, assistant director André Heinrich, camera operator Noël Véry and assistant Patrice Leconte
Obscure Pleasures: A Portrait of Walerian Borowczyk – A newly edited archival interview in which Borowczyk discusses painting, cinema and sex
Gun Point – A documentary short by Peter Graham produced and edited by Borowczyk

IMMORAL TALES

Introduction by Borowczyk expert Daniel Bird
Immoral Tales: L’Age d’Or Cut – featuring a fifth episode, The True Story of the Beast of Gévaudan
Love Reveals Itself: Immoral Tales – A new interview programme featuring production manager Dominique Duvergé-Ségrétin and cinematographer Noël Véry
Boro Brunch: A reunion meal recorded in February 2014 re-uniting members of Borowczyk’s crew, featuring Philippe D’Argila, Florence Dauman, Dominique Duvergé-Ségrétin, Dominique Ruspoli, Noël Véry and Zoe Zurstrassen
A Private Collection
A Private Collection: Oberhausen Cut

THE BEAST

Introduction by critic Peter Bradshaw
The Making of The Beast: Camera operator Noël Véry provides a commentary on footage shot during the making of The Beast
Frenzy of Ecstasy – A new visual essay on the evolution of Borowczyk’s beast and the sequel that never was, Motherhood
Venus on the Half Shell

CAMERA OBSCURA [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]

A generously illustrated book edited by Daniel Bird and Michael Brooke featuring new essays, landmark articles by Raymond Durgnat, Philip Strick, Patrice Leconte, David Thompson and Chris Newby, Boro’s Dictionary, an account of the restoration of Borowczyk films and Anatomy of the Devil, a collection of Borowczyk’s short stories translated from the original French by the filmmaker’s assistant, Michael Levy

Artwork :

Camera Obscura 2.jpg

Camera Obscura.jpg

Last edited:
10SOON code gives you 10% off this right now @ zavvi:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/camera...rowczyk-collection-includes-dvd/10926203.html

i'd recommend ordering now, as it's

* limited to 1000 copies
* a "kickstarter" project, 400 copies sold already through this
* arrow announced 2 weeks ago that they are already at a 60% sold rate - i think this will be sold out on pre-order status before the end of june.

i just ordered for 79€, i think that's a fair price for this set.

yeah but they said that even if you place your order now its not guarantee you ll get a cory and also the price is too High....

only hope now to be enough cancelations so i can get it from arrow site for a better price...

wtf?? Arrow just posted on Facebook that this set is sold out already:angry:

don't say i didn't warn you. ;)

i'd recommend ordering now, as it's

* limited to 1000 copies
* a "kickstarter" project, 400 copies sold already through this
* arrow announced 2 weeks ago that they are already at a 60% sold rate - i think this will be sold out on pre-order status before the end of june.

i just ordered for 79€, i think that's a fair price for this set.

back now on amazon but with release date August 18, 2014.:wtf:

release date is correct as the release was pushed back from 30.june to mid- august, but something is wrong with the new listing as i could order 999 copies of this item which is limited to 1000 and already sold out from the supplier (arrow).

Well, the pushed back date would explain why it hasn't shipped yet.

I'm just glad I got my copy locked in. I ordered it from Arrow's site a day or two before it was announced that the set was sold out.