DigiPack Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Bluray Digipack) [Canada]

AlienKing

The Matrix has you...
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2014
Ontario, Kanada
Release Date: 2007/11/13
Links: Amazon CA
Notes: 30th anniversary ultimate edition; Slipbox holds the digipack and a booklet; 2 discs;

IMG_20160704_120040.jpg IMG_20160704_120141.jpg IMG_20160704_120700.jpg IMG_20160704_120721.jpg
IMG_20160704_120748.jpg IMG_20160704_120940.jpg IMG_20160704_120349.jpg IMG_20160704_120423.jpg IMG_20160704_120443.jpg

Last edited:
Many on BD forum recommend watching the directors cut. But i shall trust your word and watch the original first. :)
Your call of course.:thumbs: Keep in mind that the nostalgia is very weighted in my preference of the 1977 original.;)
In fact, the perfect cut... Is one I made many years ago from the Criterion Laserdisc! I used the 1977 cut and added in bits and pieces where I agreed with the SE additions. (Example: There is a major discovery in the Gobi Desert that does not appear in the 1977, that I think is very cool.).
It just gets very hard with so many different cuts!
I think I don't watch Blade Runner as much as I would like because I just get brain freeze trying figure out which version to watch! (I have a real affection for the workprint, since I saw that on the big screen in L.A. In the early 90's!). Sometimes it is hard to choose the regular or Director's cut. Same with Extended cuts. But, here is where I drew a line that works for me. A mantra, if you will.
I loved Dances With Wolves. One of my favorite movies. Naturally when they came out with the extended cut, it was very exciting to see scenes that were cut from the theatrical that I knew from the book. But the flow of the film was completely different - not as good. So whenever I wanted to watch the film and I came to that dilemma "original theatrical, or extended edition?" there was only one answer....You want to watch the film that you fell in love with in the first place. (I recently rewatched it again with my god kids, and because of a technical snafu we had no choice but to watch the extended cut. And again, it was neat to see extra scenes - but the movie lost the organic flow that it had at 3 hours as opposed to 4 hours - also, Kevin Costner never gave approval of the 4 hour cut).
Also, sometimes director's cuts can ruin their own film. Richard Kelley's DC of DONNIE DARKO literalizes a lot of the mystery of the story and ruins it (imo). So....
Watch all the versions back to back! Then get back with a review!:rofl::thumbs:

Last edited:
:cautious:
Lol! Aint nobody got time for that!!! I'll watch the original and if i like it, then i'll watch the DC sometime in the future. :)
Actually, it'll be fun for you to see each one with fresh eyes. In my case: When you have seen many cuts of a film, each version many times - your brain can sometimes mentally edit in or out, a scene that isn't in the cut you are watching!
So, yeah- just do one cut for now. And then the other (Director's Cut) down the road for comparison!
(I still say avoid the 1980 Special Edition like the plague. No one won on that edit.)

Reactions: AlienKing