March 2023:
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Magnificent Obsession (1954)

February 2023:
Vivre Sa Vie (1962)
Imitation of Life (1934)

January 2023:
The Breakfast Club (1985)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
Classic movie label the Criterion Collection is to launch on Blu-ray in the U.K. on April 18 following a multi-year home entertainment distribution pact with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Until now Criterion has only been available in the U.S. and Canada.

SPHE will bring selected titles from Criterion’s extensive catalog and future new release slate to the U.K. for the first time. The first wave of films, featuring all the supplements from the U.S. editions along with their exclusive artwork and packaging, are “Grey Gardens,” “It Happened One Night,” Roman Polanski’s “Macbeth,” “Only Angels Have Wings,” “Speedy” and “Tootsie.”

Criterion Collection chief executive officer Jonathan Turell said: “We are excited to launch the Criterion Collection in the U.K. Starting with these six great titles, we are happy to be able to bring selections from Criterion to our very devoted audience in the U.K. We are thrilled to build upon our strong relationship with Sony and look forward to expanding the Criterion audience.”

“Criterion represents the very best of classic and contemporary filmmaking and we are delighted to bring this prestigious collection to the U.K. for the first time,” added Aodan Coburn, executive VP, international, SPHE. “This partnership demonstrates SPHE’s continued commitment to growing our distribution business.”

Source

Last edited:
In my opinion.. These 3 great companies within the market competing with each other can only be a good thing. Keeping physical media going is great for us collecting ninja's.

Still hoping for a price drop on the first wave. Nice to see more coming though.
Same here... I'm in no rush to get any of them though, so will wait as long as needed for a price drop.

@Sigill @1990ge Did you guys order any? I bought four, but I'm tempted to buy more despite having not seen any of the films before (I didn't mean for all that to rhyme :p). Hopefully I enjoy them! :ohno:

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
@Sigill @1990ge Did you guys order any? I bought four, but I'm tempted to buy more despite having not seen any of the films before (I didn't mean for all that to rhyme :p). Hopefully I enjoy them! :ohno:
Haha, your a poet and you didn't know it!:p I'm just about to put an order in for Dr Strangelove and Easy Rider. I'm not too sure about any of the others, I could be tempted though, I don't feel like this offer will last though too long. I'm guessing they will be back up to full price soon!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Haha, your a poet and you didn't know it!:p I'm just about to put an order in for Dr Strangelove and Easy Rider. I'm not too sure about any of the others, I could be tempted though, I don't feel like this offer will last though too long. I'm guessing they will be back up to full price soon!:)
Eminem's probably shaking in his boots right now. :LOL:

Good choices! I was tempted by Strangelove, but I already have about three different copies of that, and I'm not even the biggest fan of the film lol. The digipak does look gorgeous though.

Yeah, it's hard to know how long these sort of offers will last... their Arrow one went on for a few months (it even continued past the announced end date), so hopefully this one is the same. There's quite a few upcoming Criterion titles that I'm really interested in, so I'm hoping they eventually end up in a 2 for £25 deal as well.

• Thanks
Eminem's probably shaking in his boots right now. :LOL:

Good choices! I was tempted by Strangelove, but I already have about three different copies of that, and I'm not even the biggest fan of the film lol. The digipak does look gorgeous though.

Yeah, it's hard to know how long these sort of offers will last... their Arrow one went on for a few months (it even continued past the announced end date), so hopefully this one is the same. There's quite a few upcoming Criterion titles that I'm really interested in, so I'm hoping they eventually end up in a 2 for £25 deal as well.
Lol!:D Yes mate hopefully it does last a while. I really want Punch Drunk Love, that was a great film! I'm hoping at some point it comes into the deal! I am really tempted to get s few more, I've heard a lot about criterions quality but I haven't bought any of them yet. They were a bit expensive at full price but £12.50 is a lot more reasonable.:)

• Thanks
Lol!:D Yes mate hopefully it does last a while. I really want Punch Drunk Love, that was a great film! I'm hoping at some point it comes into the deal! I am really tempted to get s few more, I've heard a lot about criterions quality but I haven't bought any of them yet. They were a bit expensive at full price but £12.50 is a lot more reasonable.:)
PDL is one I really want too... and Tenenbaums. The only Criterion I currently own is the Repo Man digipak, which is easily one of my favourite digis! I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing said about Criterion's quality either, which is one of the main reasons I'm willing to blind buy most of them. I agree that the RRP was way too much, especially when you consider a new distributor like Indicator are selling their releases for £14.99 each (same with most of Arrow's and Eureka's). I think Criterion overestimated their popularity in the UK and expected people to pay the higher prices just because of the huge following they have in the US... would be nice to see the same 50% sale appear over here at some point though. :D

• Thanks
PDL is one I really want too... and Tenenbaums. The only Criterion I currently own is the Repo Man digipak, which is easily one of my favourite digis! I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing said about Criterion's quality either, which is one of the main reasons I'm willing to blind buy most of them. I agree that the RRP was way too much, especially when you consider a new distributor like Indicator are selling their releases for £14.99 each (same with most of Arrow's and Eureka's). I think Criterion overestimated their popularity in the UK and expected people to pay the higher prices just because of the huge following they have in the US... would be nice to see the same 50% sale appear over here at some point though. :D
That Repo Man Digipack looks nice! It's the one with the Mondo artwork isn't it! I always stayed away because of the region locking but I'm glad to see them released here finally!:)
I've heard a lot of good things, the extras are supposed to be superb as are their transfers. They were definatly overpriced when new release films are less expensive than old catalogue titles! As long as they have sales every now and then I will pick them up when they appear cheap! A 50% sale would be very nice!:D

• Thanks
That Repo Man Digipack looks nice! It's the one with the Mondo artwork isn't it! I always stayed away because of the region locking but I'm glad to see them released here finally!:)
I've heard a lot of good things, the extras are supposed to be superb as are their transfers. They were definatly overpriced when new release films are less expensive than old catalogue titles! As long as they have sales every now and then I will pick them up when they appear cheap! A 50% sale would be very nice!:D
Yep, that's the one mate... it's a stunner! The region locking is the reason I've always stayed clear too, but now we've no excuse (apart from the high prices) since they're slowly making their way over here. I never really bother checking out the extras unless it's a film I love... so long as the transfer is top notch, then I'll be happy! Hopefully they do well with the sale anyway, and Criterion realise how much better they sell at those sort of prices and possibly consider selling them cheaper in future... I won't hold my breath though. By the way, I heard earlier that the sale might end around Christmas time... so possibly just before or after Xmas.

• Thanks
Yep, that's the one mate... it's a stunner! The region locking is the reason I've always stayed clear too, but now we've no excuse (apart from the high prices) since they're slowly making their way over here. I never really bother checking out the extras unless it's a film I love... so long as the transfer is top notch, then I'll be happy! Hopefully they do well with the sale anyway, and Criterion realise how much better they sell at those sort of prices and possibly consider selling them cheaper in future... I won't hold my breath though. By the way, I heard earlier that the sale might end around Christmas time... so possibly just before or after Xmas.
Thanks mate, it gives us a bit of time then to pick a few up! It was the same for me, region locking always held me back. Hopefully they release a lot more of their titles over here! There's quite a few I would like to pick up.:)

• Thanks

I would agree that their popularity here was overestimated, but this might be due to the fact that people like me have already imported a few of the titles they've released here, and for less than the UK retail price in some cases.

I picked up Burroughs yesterday following the price drop on Amazon.

I would agree that their popularity here was overestimated, but this might be due to the fact that people like me have already imported a few of the titles they've released here, and for less than the UK retail price in some cases.

I picked up Burroughs yesterday following the price drop on Amazon.
Yep, that's no doubt another huge factor! I probably would've already imported most of them too if it wasn't for the fact that I don't currently own a region free player. A lot of the US Criterions will never see the light of day over here though, due to studios owning different licenses in the UK... so I'll still possibly import them once I do go region free.

Forgot to even mention which titles I picked up... I went with Cat People, In A Lonely Place, It Happened One Night, and Speedy. Heard great things about them all and the trailers looked good to me, so hopefully I won't regret blind buying. I'm also tempted to pick up Tootsie, because I really want to check that out too... torn over which other title to get to go along with it though, as there's a few others that look quite entertaining as well.

• Thanks