Disney 12 Weeks of Steelbooks 2010 (not happening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Update-unfortunately there will not be any Steelbooks for Disney this year.

See discussion, future details, once available, about the Iron Packs here.

Please see note from Brana at FS Forum below:
This has really been a year in flux with massive changes on the studios side on their willingness to do Steelbooks, how much of international gets involved and what it takes to make a Steelbook happen. Disney has unfortunately decided corporately against Steelbook this year. I can't even give a real explanation to be honest with you. At some point you get angry and it all sounds like excuses. The best way I can describe it is the U.S. got involved to help push exclusive packaging as well and so we can take advantage of economies of scale. In dong so, senior people became involved with Steelbook that were not before, legal teams threw their four cents in, and next thing you know there is no Steelbook program period. Even with all the success we had last year and the excitement you guys all showed for it we just couldn't make it happen. A massive fail.To make things worse, what was approved was an Ironpak promotion which had made it's way through all the pipelines so far that once this was presented to us and we knew what was up, we had no room to move. The choice we were given was either we take the Ironpaks or you have nothing for these titles. It was a tough decision but at the end of the day I looked at it from the standpoint that as much as I want these on Steelbook and there are many people on here as well, I'd rather these exist in some sort of collectible packaging than not at all. Let the customer have the decision if they want them or not. So that's where things are at. Disney Canada does realize this is a massive fail and understand we need to get back to Steelbook so those are the discussions that are ongoing now. Again I cannot promise anything but we are working towards Tron 2.The Ironpaks that are coming out are labelled as Disney Collectible packaging. These are the titles that are coming:prince Of Persia - Sep 14thBeauty & The Beast - Oct 5Toy Story 1 - OctoberToy Story 2 - OctoberToy Story 3 - Nov 2Princess & The Frog - NovemberAlice in Wonderland - November/DecemberBrana

</PRE>

My original message asked if you would participate this year, if FS announced another SB Promo. DB

Pictures from last year's promo:
disney-steels.jpg

Last edited:
I would love certain disney releases to have a steelbook, but given the problems with availability and not to mention the reselling. Moreover, best buy deciding to re-release them in the US, kinda got people upset since they spent lots of money on importing. If does happen I'd like to see toy story, finding nemo, beauty and the beast, and prince of persia among others.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Hm. I'd participate because there's a few titles that I'd like to pick up as Steelbooks.

Beauty and the Beast, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Fantasia, Dumbo (hopefully that gets released this year in NA) and that's about it.

I'm down, Disney is the only folks who dont re-release ... although there were a bunch made, I bet the price will rise on all those. Many are must-haves for new collectors and the UP and Snow White seem to be the hardest for peopel to get their hands on. Since they were pre-order only.

I'd love another set of Steels from Disney-I hope they continue it-some of the art on the 1st set was beautiful and very detailed....

We should like really count up all the releases that are possibilities + those to be released this year. Be fun to make a mock-up 12 weeks. :)

I definitely see it happening again that's for sure, so long as Disney allows it.

Toy Story trilogy steelbook might not be far away, perhaps that is why FS was denied being allowed to make a T3 steelbook ... oh, how we hope haha.

I bought every single one last time, and would more than likely do so again. I believe I sold off my Nightmare Before Xmas tho as even tho its a fine looking steel I've just always hated that movie.

I think the current Buyer for movies is trying to determine how to update the Steelbook nuts and has not been as present as Ian was. I know people are interested in the Disney Steels, but maybe it's time to make the voices heard in his thread?

I am not trying to drive traffic away from this site-but as he posted the thread seeking input, maybe you can chime in and share your thoughts? http://futureshopforums.com/t5/Movies/Steelbook-where-do-we-go-from-here/m-p/212944#M5712

Wreck-feel free to delete if not appropriate...

DB

nah the link is cool, I am always checking that forum too lol.

I like what Brana is doing though by approaching the community.

Ok, cool-yeah the more discussion and pics we can see in advance, the more heat over the newest Steelbooks;)

I'm down, Disney is the only folks who dont re-release ... although there were a bunch made, I bet the price will rise on all those. Many are must-haves for new collectors and the UP and Snow White seem to be the hardest for peopel to get their hands on. Since they were pre-order only.

I found both of these in store last year. I believe Wreck can vouch for me on that one.

I was a big-time buyer for the guys last year but I just don't see it happening this year since my new job is much further away from the FS store now. I used to be able to bail outta work and hit the store when it opened, not so now.

I'm a Future Shop supporter for years now. In the beginning, they gave away a few metal slipcovers with purchases. I didn't miss a DVD steel (some of them are still my favorites and lots were debossed), and I haven't missed a Blu-ray steel or ironpack. Hell, I've even got all their special edition lenticulars. For you in the US, their stores are second to none. I hope they do the Disney thing again, it was real fun. Even my wife had to pick up a couple for me. But whatever they do, I'm definitely in!

I'm sure hoping too see 12 new releases from disney as my local best buy still has 11 of last years titles that were released during this christmas special they ran last year in the last few days I've been buying them up to finish my collection of the ones released last year... I would to see toy story and some of disneys classics. The only two I'm going to have to get else where are snow white and up.... I want to be all caught up just incase they drop 12 more our wallets !!

I think one of 2 things will happen.

8-10-12 weeks of Disney depending on what they can pull off.
Or, a re-release of the original 12 since stock levels are so low and they think its profitable for a re-release.

Hopefully the latter doesn't happen, as I think that the Disney steels will rise in value quicker than most people think. Especially UP, Snow White and Cinderella (since being locked in the vault)

Right now the market is saturated and you can find them for sale on AMZ and fleabay etc. But as more time goes by and new collectors come along many of those steels are "must haves" in a collection and then we'll have demand again.

Sure but will be repeted the USA release?, maybe just maybe Disney Mx can have some of those down here.

I just remember I was on US release day I paid +500 USD getting one full set and Pirates trilogy, SB x2 and Cars x2.

Sure but will be repeted the USA release?, maybe just maybe Disney Mx can have some of those down here.

I just remember I was on US release day I paid +500 USD getting one full set and Pirates trilogy, SB x2 and Cars x2.

EEK! I am just hoping if it does happen to have a simultaneous release here in the US.

Yes-I still remember the collective gasp, when it was announced that BB would have them all at the same time-LOL...

Yes, grown men+ me weeping in the streets. It was a shame, because they had to have coordinated, so it was disappointing that it was "suddenly" announced. But I still hope they do it again-I don't really care if BB releases them, as I have friends that let me buy at cost in Canada-but still the stress of that promo with erratic pre-order times, etc was poorly executed. Hope it's better, should it happen in '10:)

Status
Not open for further replies.