Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 12, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £59.99

91cANqsy0zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91UEsHIGR3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81846SRyPdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 81UCyGsZBML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know what casting means? This wasn't in response to the shows success or failure. It was a response to casting Ncuti, by Ncuti himself. It wasn't said by the showrunner? It was said by Ncuti (The Doctor). In the question they also acknowledged the praise but addressed "some" haters. I've noticed multiple times you don't half know how to straw man a debate.

You sound like you're conflating the Star Wars Acolyte debacle and other such instances. This doesn't fit in that pigeon hole.
Oh **** off, don't accuse me of a straw man because you don't like what I'm saying.

I know it wasn't said by the showrunner but Ncuti is doing interviews for the show he's the star of, he's the front line of marketing for Doctor Who. Do you think what he said was more of a gaffe or marketing? Be honest now.

Reactions: spookz
Oh **** off, don't accuse me of a straw man because you don't like what I'm saying.

I know it wasn't said by the showrunner but Ncuti is doing interviews for the show he's the star of, he's the front line of marketing for Doctor Who. Do you think what he said was more of a gaffe or marketing? Be honest now.
Okay keyboard warrior. Tbf you probably don't even know you're strawmanning because you're evidently muddled with anger and misinformation. Good luck to you with that approach. The irony that you attempted to strawman immediately after you asked I don't accuse you of strawmanning, is not lost. You're not my kind of person, so I am happy to ignore. Peace!

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

That's cool. Stand by your opinion by all means. You do you. Personally I don't care if something is a commercial success. If I like it, it's written well and it resonates, then I'm in.

I was just addressing the narrative you proposed may have been correct but it was because Ncutis words were taken out of context by certain questionable publications.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016
It's not an opinion. The return of the show has been a disaster in both the UK and USA. I didn't make the viewing figures up. Also having pops at fans because they no longer watch or enjoy the show is never a good look..... Gaslighting fans is pretty much spinal tap 11 for destroying a show.

Last edited:
Okay keyboard warrior. Tbf you probably don't even know you're strawmanning because you're evidently muddled with anger and misinformation. Good luck to you with that approach. The irony that you attempted to strawman immediately after you asked I don't accuse you of strawmanning, is not lost. You're not my kind of person, so I am happy to ignore. Peace!

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF
We don't have to agree but you don't need to be a disingenuous liar either.

It's not an opinion. The return of the show has been a disaster in both the UK and USA. I didn't make the viewing figures up. Also having pops at fans because they no longer watch or enjoy the show is never a good look..... Gaslighting fans is pretty much spinal tap 11 for destroying a show.
Saying the return of the show has been a "disaster" is your opinion based on... I assume facts around viewership? If that is correct, then the BBC just announced that it's the most watched drama for under 35s on the iplayer thus year. Perhaps it is not what it once was on UK terrestrial TV, as pointed out by @GeoRattray ... But what is; In a world where the majority of the target audience are streaming or gaming? By your own metric it can't be considered holistically a "disaster".

"Doctor Who remains one of the most-watched programmes on iPlayer and is the BBC’s top drama for under-35s this year, making it one of the biggest programmes for the demographic across all streamers and broadcasters." BBC defends Doctor Who ratings as show is "top drama for under-35s this year" | Radio Times

has seriously failed. So don't expect major sales of the blu-ray or DVD.
To not expect major sales is an opinion.

No matter how you try to dress it up, the show is going to be pulled sooner rather than later.
This is an opinion also.

Both of which I was responding to when I said
That's cool. Stand by your opinion by all means. You do you.

Honestly & genuinely, you do you. Stand by your metric of viewing figures dictating whether something is a "disaster", by all means. To me the success of art is not dictated to by whether enough people have seen it. I couldn't care less if American, British or Wakandan audiences do or don't watch Who. I am inclined to decide for myself. Imo not nearly enough people watched series like Mr Robot or The Expanse for example. We collect physical media... need I say more? I wouldn't call physical media a disaster based on poor consensus. I'd say it's thriving in a niche market with plenty of quality.

Despite the facts around high viewing figures on the iplayer, for younger audiences; We can agree to disagree on whether Doctor Who's return under RTD has been a success or a "disaster" because for us both, they are at the very least, an amalgamation of different factors.

On your second point.
Also having pops at fans because they no longer watch or enjoy the show is never a good look..... Gaslighting fans is pretty much spinal tap 11 for destroying a show.

Did you manage to read the original quote or article? He didn't have a pop at the fans for not enjoying the show? That's abundantly clear. It would seem you've been hoodwinked into thinking that by covert reporting of a comment taken out of context. If you're going to engage with me, may I ask you at least read the original quote and its context.

I'll link the orginal article again for your convenience. He clearly is responding to some people who hated against his casting. These comments were weeks before the air of the first episode of the new season, on May 11th. The interview with Ncuti was reported on April 25th. This was never a comment around the success or failure of the show. You can choose to acknowledge those facts or not. You do you.

"And although Gatwa’s groundbreaking casting was met with much praise, there were, of course, some haters. Gatwa’s message to the naysayers is simple: “Don’t watch. Turn off the TV. Go and touch grass, please, for God’s sake.”"
‘Doctor Who’ Regenerates: How Ncuti Gatwa’s Historic Casting, Russell T Davies’ Return and a Disney+ Deal Revolutionized the Franchise

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Please keep the discussion on topic and avoid derailing the thread. Many of these conversations can be continued via private messages. Additionally, please refrain from discussing any political agendas in the forum; such discussions are welcome via private messages. Thank you for your understanding.
:)