Future Shop [Canada] reconsiders Steelbook™ packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Just saw this at FS forum. As the most popular and active Steelbook nd Collectibles forum I thought I would repost this here in case you had not seen it yet. As most of our Group Buy leaders and friends from Canada have been affected for years, hopefully this means additional retailers will recognize the need for more secure packaging as some if not all of the Amazon sites have as well as Play.com. I've seen the previous packaging used, over my years of collecting, as they've been passed on to me for group buys I've conducted myself, and Steelbooks were generally previously packaged like regular Amarays, which is just not adequate. Since many amazing Exclusives have come from Futureshop, this seems to be excellent news and a great step in a new direction.

Good to see another retailer starting discussions and considering community feedback on this topic which affects all collectibles collectors. Thanks Saybinator at FS!

Author: saybinator (Emerging Expert)
Date: 08-10-2012 04:38 PM

We have seen overwhelming feedback from the forum to improve the shipping packaging for Steelbook Movies from futureshop.ca. We have been working with the logistic team responsible for shipping to provide an immediate solution to better protect steelbooks from shipment damage.

Steelbook Movies from Futureshop.ca are now being shipped in Cardboard Boxes, along with the appropriate amount of packing materials inside. Many of you have commented that you have received the new packaging already and have been pleasantly surprised. This is not a random occurrence; this will now be the standard for steelbook shipments. Please note, initial cardboard box sizes for these shipments will be rather large relative to a Steelbook™ Movie. Steps are being taken to adjust packaging dimensions so we aren’t shipping “air” and being eco friendly. Your patience with this is appreciated, this was our best immediate solution to solve the feedback being received.

Steelbook Movie Offerings have been a long standing program at Future Shop with our Movie Studio Partners. The Buying team is as passionate about bringing these to market as you are owning them. With the increased convenience of pre-ordering Steelbooks online, we want you to feel confident that we have taken steps to ensure these products arrive at your door in pristine condition. Futureshop.ca continues to exponentially increase availability and is quickly become the best way to guarantee you a copy.

If you've continued to support the Steelbook program through futureshop.ca thanks for your patience and support. If you've not purchased a Steelbook Movie before, or if you had previous concerns with packaging we would encourage you again with the recent changes.

Please continue to share your feedback in these forums. We do listen, and we do our best to ensure you are satisfied with your purchases.

Special thanks to Aaron158, Danno82, Atomic, AlbusCC, Landy and Blu-Vie for their feedback in a previous thread.

Thanks for the feedback on behalf of all involved in the Future Shop Movie Team.

Last edited:
Great news! I ordered 3 steelbooks in June and all had to be returned damaged due to flimsy packaging. I guess the enclosed letter I wrote was taken seriously ;)

Thanks DB!

Just saw this at FS forum. As the most popular and active Steelbook nd Collectibles forum I thought I would repost this here in case you had not seen it yet. As most of our Group Buy leaders and friends from Canada have been affected for years, hopefully this means additional retailers will recognize the need for more secure packaging as some if not all of the Amazon sites have as well as Play.com. I've seen the previous packaging used, over my years of collecting, as they've been passed on to me for group buys I've conducted myself, and Steelbooks were generally previously packaged like regular Amarays, which is just not adequate. Since many amazing Exclusives have come from Futureshop, this seems to be excellent news and a great step in a new direction.

Good to see another retailer starting discussions and considering community feedback on this topic which affects all collectibles collectors. Thanks Saybinator at FS!

Author: saybinator (Emerging Expert)
Date: 08-10-2012 04:38 PM

We have seen overwhelming feedback from the forum to improve the shipping packaging for Steelbook Movies from futureshop.ca. We have been working with the logistic team responsible for shipping to provide an immediate solution to better protect steelbooks from shipment damage.

Steelbook Movies from Futureshop.ca are now being shipped in Cardboard Boxes, along with the appropriate amount of packing materials inside. Many of you have commented that you have received the new packaging already and have been pleasantly surprised. This is not a random occurrence; this will now be the standard for steelbook shipments. Please note, initial cardboard box sizes for these shipments will be rather large relative to a Steelbook™ Movie. Steps are being taken to adjust packaging dimensions so we aren’t shipping “air” and being eco friendly. Your patience with this is appreciated, this was our best immediate solution to solve the feedback being received.

Steelbook Movie Offerings have been a long standing program at Future Shop with our Movie Studio Partners. The Buying team is as passionate about bringing these to market as you are owning them. With the increased convenience of pre-ordering Steelbooks online, we want you to feel confident that we have taken steps to ensure these products arrive at your door in pristine condition. Futureshop.ca continues to exponentially increase availability and is quickly become the best way to guarantee you a copy.

If you've continued to support the Steelbook program through futureshop.ca thanks for your patience and support. If you've not purchased a Steelbook Movie before, or if you had previous concerns with packaging we would encourage you again with the recent changes.

Please continue to share your feedback in these forums. We do listen, and we do our best to ensure you are satisfied with your purchases.

Special thanks to Aaron158, Danno82, Atomic, AlbusCC, Landy and Blu-Vie for their feedback in a previous thread.

Thanks for the feedback on behalf of all involved in the Future Shop Movie Team.

Thanks Bradda,
Good looking out! This is exciting news indeed! :scat:

Step 1 Better steelbook pacakging
Step 2 US/International Shipping

step 2 will NEVER happen and never should in relation to steelbooks or any other retail goods. These albeit annoying no international shipping policies are how the manufacturers, retailers, government and everyone involved in the retail chain protect the local economies where they operate and set pricing according to local tax regulations, logistical costs, currency strength, etc.

Just like how Best Buy USA should never ship outside of the USA and they NEVER will. There is a work around in almost all cases, a loop-hole if you will that ultimately results in higher cost to the end consumer but at least you can get what you want this way and your local economies are protected at some level.

All regoinal amazons ship to US as does HMV and a few other international retailers, so its not impossible just unlikely

Reactions: lolwut
I wouldn't say it will NEVER happen.

The world is shifting to a more Global society all the time and will continue to do so, so I could see FS shipping worldwide sometime in the future.

Now back on topic, this is GREAT news as I have returned 2 or 3 steels over the past 3 months because of the crappy packaging. Thank you FS for taking notes and following through with it.

FS...don't forget...BUBBLEWRAP!...got my steels a few days ago...7 packed in a box...with some paper...all stacked together...no bubble wrap...kinda defeats the purpose of the box if it will just shake inside!

this would explain why i received Ricker's copy of The Lorax from FS the other day in a huge cardboard box. I'm not sure if the standard will be the size I received or not but it was quite large indeed. It definitely beats the small cardboard mailer they have been using, although I did receive Sucker Punch a few days later in the crappy mailer still.

Got Hunger Games in the mail today (finally!) and here is what the packaging looks like:

Hunger.JPG

Hunger2.JPG

Hunger3.JPG

Hunger4.JPG

Although this is waaaay better than the flimsy bags they used to send stuff in, there is still room for improvement as the steelbooks themselves still do not have the proper protection like the play.com boxes have.

Anyways, both Hunger Games have a couple very tiny paint chips, nothing really serious.

step 2 will NEVER happen and never should in relation to steelbooks or any other retail goods. These albeit annoying no international shipping policies are how the manufacturers, retailers, government and everyone involved in the retail chain protect the local economies where they operate and set pricing according to local tax regulations, logistical costs, currency strength, etc.

Just like how Best Buy USA should never ship outside of the USA and they NEVER will. There is a work around in almost all cases, a loop-hole if you will that ultimately results in higher cost to the end consumer but at least you can get what you want this way and your local economies are protected at some level.

Are you not buying steelbooks from HMV and other various foreign retailers? I know it makes my life and many others easier to be able to purchase direct from the source as apposed to having to purchase every Steelbook from a GB? IMOO

Last edited:
And have you seen how HMV ships their SB? I am not sure what work around Amazon has as they have warehouses all over the world and they could afford to ship internationally to their own warehouse and then ship from there. Otherwise, any other place don't ship like Amazon does.

Heck even Amazon Japan ships in a jiffy bag but that could be the Japanese government doing and not Amazon.

All I am saying is that generally all retailers that ship internationally besides Amazon have ****** packaging and there is a higher risk of damages.

I have done many trades before from Canada and let me tell you, it is not cheap shipping internationally. For me to ship a ONE SB to UK will cost 20 with no tracking. Tracking bumps the cost to 40. I am not sure how many of you would be willing to pay a premium for shipping. The cost will only get higher with more SB. If Canada didn't have a huge monopoly on shipping rates, it would be cheaper.

Are you not buying steelbooks from HMV and other various foreign retailers? I know it makes my life and many others easier to be able to purchase direct from the source as apposed to having to purchase every Steelbook from a GB? IMOO

Shipping from Canada is expensive for anybody. I have never had a damaged steelbook ordering direct from foreign sources. Am I lucky? Maybe

stinkofdefeat: I received the same packaging even for 1 steelbook. The box is slightly better than the bubble envelopes but still needs better protection inside to help secure the steelbook from possible damages.

For example, if I ordered 1-2 steelbooks, I rather FS ship a smaller box with bubble wrap inside instead of a big box with kraft paper.

Last edited:
stinkofdefeat: I received the same packaging even for 1 steelbook. The box is slightly better than the bubble envelopes but still needs better protection inside to help secure the steelbook from possible damages.

For example, if I ordered 1-2 steelbooks, I rather FS ship a smaller box with bubble wrap inside instead of a big box with kraft paper.

Yup I agree. The other funny thing about the box I got was there was no packing slip/reciept inside so now I dunno if I will be able to return these to the store without a proper reciept.

Yup I agree. The other funny thing about the box I got was there was no packing slip/reciept inside so now I dunno if I will be able to return these to the store without a proper reciept.

if you log into futureshop.ca with your account info, in the my orders section, view your order and you can print a receipt out to return it in store

Status
Not open for further replies.