Gateway PC's any good?

tony_roach

Premium Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
District 13
Hey folks...I've been looking to get a new home PC but don't want to spend a lot for a desktop. I found this Gateway machine with pretty good specs at a low price. I haven't had any experience with Gateway (only used HP and Dell) so I'm wondering if I should be worried?

Product Features:
2.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 processor with 2MB L2 cache and 800MHz FSB for fast processing
1TB, 5,400rpm SATA hard drive offers ample storage for important files
6GB DDR2 SDRAM memory ensures speedy multitasking and is expandable to 8GB
Multiformat DVD±R/RW drive for creating custom DVDs
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 graphics deliver smooth playback and Intel Clear Video Technology provides enhanced visuals
HD audio with 7.1-channel surround support provides an immersive multimedia experience
Multi-in-1 media card reader is compatible with a variety of memory cards
IEEE 1394 interface and 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
Built-in 10/100/1,000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN networking interface with RJ-45 connector
Intel G43 Express chipset delivers innovative technology
Photo frame button for instant slideshows of favorite pictures
MyBackup button protects data with the touch of a button
Includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
Software: Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 60-day complimentary trial
Inputs: 1 VGA, 2 PS/2, 1 HDMI, 1 IEEE 1394a
Outputs: 8 USB 2.0
Expansion Slots: 1 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 2 PCI

They aren't bad for what you pay for. My only gripe with the company is that once you start seeing problems with them it's just headache after headache. We have several here at work and when they are working fine everything is good, but once we start experiencing some hipcups just makes me wish I can take it to the back and use the hammer treament on it :)

Those are good specs by the way.

That's too bad, too. When Gateway first came out they had a ballsout customer service center. Nicest people to work with and they got your issue fixed ASAP. Better yet was the quality of the hardware was usually good so even when you did need them it was rare.

I did a lot of early PC gaming on gateways.

Somewhere along the way they kinda turned poopy.

Hey folks...I've been looking to get a new home PC but don't want to spend a lot for a desktop. I found this Gateway machine with pretty good specs at a low price. I haven't had any experience with Gateway (only used HP and Dell) so I'm wondering if I should be worried?

Product Features:
2.6GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 processor with 2MB L2 cache and 800MHz FSB for fast processing
1TB, 5,400rpm SATA hard drive offers ample storage for important files
6GB DDR2 SDRAM memory ensures speedy multitasking and is expandable to 8GB
Multiformat DVD±R/RW drive for creating custom DVDs
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 graphics deliver smooth playback and Intel Clear Video Technology provides enhanced visuals
HD audio with 7.1-channel surround support provides an immersive multimedia experience
Multi-in-1 media card reader is compatible with a variety of memory cards
IEEE 1394 interface and 8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity
Built-in 10/100/1,000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN networking interface with RJ-45 connector
Intel G43 Express chipset delivers innovative technology
Photo frame button for instant slideshows of favorite pictures
MyBackup button protects data with the touch of a button
Includes Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
Software: Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 60-day complimentary trial
Inputs: 1 VGA, 2 PS/2, 1 HDMI, 1 IEEE 1394a
Outputs: 8 USB 2.0
Expansion Slots: 1 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 2 PCI

No bad, but not great either.. what's the price on it?