Reavon

Lone Crusader

The Savage Ninja!
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas, USA

Two new UHD Blu-ray players from newcomer Reavon launching in April​

Newcomer Reavon will launch its first two Ultra HD Blu-ray players in April. UBR-X100 and UBR-X200 are both described as 'universal disc players'. Prices start at 800 Euro.

Reavon describes both UBR-X100 and UBR-X200 as 'universal disc players' with support for UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD, DVD Audio (according to Reavon's certification logos), SACD, and CD. They support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X as well as HDR10 and Dolby Vision, whereas no support for HDR10+ is listed. Both have two HDMI outputs; one for video and one for audio.

reavonuhdbluray_1_large.jpg
Click to enlarge.

It is not often that we see newcomers in this segment anymore. Sales of UHD Blu-ray players started to decline in 2018, and Oppo abandoned the market the same year. Samsung followed in early 2019. LG, Panasonic, Sony and a handful of other players are still in the game and in late 2020 PS5 and Xbox Series X arrived with UHD Blu-ray playback support. However, the market remains a niche as evidenced by the new Reavon players.

The differences between the two models lie in analog audio output ports and other advanced audio capabilities in UBR-X200, and you will be paying a hefty premium for those features.

reavonuhdbluray_2_large.jpg
Click to enlarge.

Additional specifications and features are listed below.

In Germany, UBR-X100 is listed for 800 Euro while UBR-X200 carries a 1600 Euro price tag. The new players will be available in April.

Reavon UBR-X200 specifications​

Main features
- Universal Disc Player - Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD, SACD, CD
- BD-Live/BONUSVIEW
- HDR10
- Dolby Vision
- 36-bit Deep Colour/”x.v.Colour”
- Dual HDMI Output
- Video Adjust
- Backlite Remote Control
- DLNA / SMB host
- Fast boot
- Multimedia playback (MKV, WMA, WAVE, FLAC, DSD, JPG)

Video features
- 4K Scaling - Enhance the home cinema experience by quadrupling Full HD 1080p resolution with 4K (3840 x 2160) scaling of all video sources.
- True 24p Cinema - Many Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are encoded at 24 frames per second, the same frequency as the original film screened in theaters. The UBR-X200 maintains the original 24-fps rate straight through to the screen with progressive scanning.
- Dolby Vision® - This stunning HDR imaging technology brings extraordinary color, contrast, and brightness to the screen.
- Video Adjust - Set the brightness, contrast, color saturation, hue, sharpness and noise reduction.

Audio features
- Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 DACs
- Large-Capacity PCB Toroidal Transformer (Military Engineering Class)
- Custom Audiophile Capacitors
- Direct Function for Pure Analogue Audio Output
- Dual HDMI Output for Pure Digital Audio Output
- Jitter-less Clock
- Ultra-Rigid Construction
- 3 mm Steel Plate Rigid Under Base for Low Noise and Low Centre of Gravity
- High Quality Main Circuit Board for High S/N Ratio
- Rigid & Quiet Optical Drive
- 24-Bit Delta-Sigma DAC
- 8-Channel DAC:
-- High Performance: Differential, fS = 48 kHz
-- THD+N: –94 dB
-- SNR: 113 dB
-- Dynamic Range: 113 dB
-- Sampling Rate: 8 kHz to 192 kHz
-- System Clock: 128 fS, 192 fS, 256 fS, 384 fS, 512 fS, 768 fS, 1152 fS
-- Differential Voltage Output: 8 VPP
-- Analog Lowpass Filter Included
-- 4x/8x Oversampling Digital Filter:
--- Passband Ripple: ±0.0018 dB
--- Stop Band Attenuation: –75 dB
-- Zero Flag
-- Data Length: 16, 20, 24, 32 Bits
- Analog Mute by Clock Halt Detection
- Music File Playback: FLAC (2.0/5.1), M4A, WMA, WAVE, DSF (2.0/5.1), DFF (2.0/5.1), MP3, OGG
- Home Theater Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, DTS:X

Terminals
- HDMI 1 Out for Audio/Video
- HDMI 2 for Audio Only
- Digital Coaxial Out
- Digital Optical Out
- USB In (1 USB 2.0 Front, 1 USB 3.0 Rear)
- Ethernet
- RS-232C
- Analogue Audio Out Stereo (RCA Unbalanced, XLR Balanced)
- Analogue Audio Out 7.1/5.1

Specifications
- Power Requirements: AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 42 W
- Power Consumption During Standby: 0.45 W
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 430 x 82 x 351 mm
- Weight: NC

Reavon UBR-X100 specifications​

Main features
- Universal Disc Player - Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, CD
- BD-Live/BONUSVIEW
- HDR10
- Dolby Vision
- 36-bit Deep Colour/”x.v.Colour”
- Dual HDMI Output
- Video Adjust
- SMB host
- Fast boot
- Multimedia playback (MKV, WMA, WAVE, FLAC, DSD, JPG)

Video features
- 4K Upscaling - Enhance the home cinema experience by quadrupling Full HD 1080p resolution with 4K (3840 x 2160) upscaling of all video sources.
- True 24p Cinema - Many Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are encoded at 24 frames per second, the same frequency as the original film screened in theaters. The UBR-X100 maintains the original 24-fps rate straight through to the screen with progressive scanning.
- Dolby Vision® - This stunning HDR imaging technology brings extraordinary color, contrast, and brightness to the screen.
- Video Adjust - Set the brightness, contrast, color saturation, hue, sharpness and noise reduction.

Audio features
- HDMI Audio Only the get the best audio digital experience
- Ultra-Rigid Construction
- 3 mm Steel Plate Rigid Under Base for Low Noise and Low Centre of Gravity
- Rigid & Quiet Optical Drive
- Music File Playback: FLAC, M4A, WMA, WAVE, DSF, DFF, MP3, OGG
- Home Theater Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, DTS:X

Terminals
- HDMI 1 Out for Audio/Video
- HDMI 2 for Audio Only
- Digital Coaxial Out
- Digital Optical Out
- USB In (1 USB 2.0 Front, 1 USB 3.0 Rear)
- Ethernet

Specifications
- Power Requirements: AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 32 W
- Power Consumption During Standby: 0.45 W
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 430 x 82 x 351 mm
- Weight: NC
-Source: Reavon

A French player hitting that niche market. Interesting.
Yes I agree, with the pandemic having a whole year under it's belt now has made the number of streaming users soar. I fear that this company is stepping into as you say a niche market where I fear that physical media is a dying breed so to speak. More and more people now being forced to stay at home were seeking better ways to pass the time and hitting the streaming market was a cool, easy alternative and now with the streaming services supporting Dolby Vision and Atmos, there's not much to stop them from climbing the charts. Don't look so much into the amount of physical media sold and selling but instead the statistics of people watching streaming services and you'll see a record all-time high. I fear that this company "Reavon" may be short lived so if anyone may be in the market for a new top of the line player they had better jump to it.

Last edited:
All that enthousiastism aside, this is just a Chinese cloned Oppo, with lower grade materials and repurposed for much higher price... These prices they ask are just ridiculous.

All that enthousiastism aside, this is just a Chinese cloned Oppo, with lower grade materials and repurposed for much higher price... These prices they ask are just ridiculous.
Nope there not clones, there top grade components and there not Chinese, there a French company. You might want to do your research instead of making wild assumptions.

Nope there not clones, there top grade components and there not Chinese, there a French company. You might want to do your research instead of making wild assumptions.
Please post link to the page where the components are listed... The company behind this equipment is the same as for Zappitti, and not using high grade components. Check the reviews and read how the audio lacks detail in sound which imo is all about components used. And no HDR10+?!?

Also the drive is one of the cheap components;

"...I had already read something about the fact that the drive is not silent. Unfortunately, that is also true, primarily with UHDs because of the higher speed. When loading you can also hear him pick up the disc quite abruptly and speed up. It makes a little more noise than the Oppo, which I think makes too much noise with UHDs, especially in the beginning. You can hardly hear the Panasonic as soon as the film starts. I think this is an important point and a missed opportunity. I'm about 3-4 meters from the player and I don't want to hear that. If you put down a high-end player of €1500, you should also look at this. Another thing that happened to me twice with a UHD disc: pressing eject while the disc is spinning. The tray opened even before the disc was still in the tray. As a result, the disc was thrown out of the tray and was largely still in the player. This can damage your discs. They just have to software make sure the disc is stationary before opening the drive. The second time I forgot again and immediately pressed eject again... It seems to go well with blu-rays, perhaps because they rotate more slowly and therefore stand still earlier..."

Please post link to the page where the components are listed... The company behind this equipment is the same as for Zappitti, and not using high grade components. Check the reviews and read how the audio lacks detail in sound which imo is all about components used. And no HDR10+?!?
The Components in the player are top of the line in fact most players can't touch it in comparison.
The design capability of the Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player matches its performance, and it uses an all-metal chassis. Its width is 43 cm, height is 8 cm, depth is 35 cm, and its total weight is 6.8 kg, which is quite different from the entry-level plastic player. Its chassis is double-layered, and the 1.6 mm thick base is reinforced by a second 3 mm thick steel plate to minimize the noise caused by the mechanical movement of the optical components. It can effectively absorb vibration and improve the operation and performance of the overall assembly. Eliminate the transmission of external vibration to the chassis, ensuring the best playback of the disc. It is strengthened by four shock-absorbing feet, so that the equipment is relatively separated from the TV cabinet and the player.

The Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player uses a high-quality power supply and toroidal transformer to provide a stable and pure current for all its components.

At the output of the player, the Revon UBR-X200 transmits the signal to the Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 8-channel DAC of Texas Instruments through the shortest path. Although these are not the latest technologies, they are still essential products in the multi-channel DAC market. They convert many formats very accurately, and most importantly, they have an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The measured value of Reavon UBR-X200 is 113dB, which is a level that many high-fidelity equipment can hardly reach.

The Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player uses an 8-channel DAC from Texas Instruments.

The design capability of the Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player matches its performance, and it uses an all-metal chassis. Its width is 43 cm, height is 8 cm, depth is 35 cm, and its total weight is 6.8 kg, which is quite different from the entry-level plastic player. Its chassis is double-layered, and the 1.6 mm thick base is reinforced by a second 3 mm thick steel plate to minimize the noise caused by the mechanical movement of the optical components. It can effectively absorb vibration and improve the operation and performance of the overall assembly. Eliminate the transmission of external vibration to the chassis, ensuring the best playback of the disc. It is strengthened by four shock-absorbing feet, so that the equipment is relatively separated from the TV cabinet and the player.

The Reavon UBR-X200 Blu-ray player is made of a sturdy double-layer steel chassis to ensure the best vibration and resonance reduction.

Like I said top grade components that equal top grade performance, you may want to research a little more. Also in your second post you talk about noise from spin up, that's normal in all players I even here that in my Panasonic DP-UB9000 and it's only for like 1-2 seconds. Damn if I put my ear up to the player like you do I'd hear noise too, all players that have an optical drive make noise.

Yes I agree, with the pandemic having a whole year under it's belt now has made the number of streaming users soar. I fear that this company is stepping into as you say a niche market where I fear that physical media is a dying breed so to speak. More and more people now being forced to stay at home were seeking better ways to pass the time and hitting the streaming market was a cool, easy alternative and now with the streaming services supporting Dolby Vision and Atmos, there's not much to stop them from climbing the charts. Don't look so much into the amount of physical media sold and selling but instead the statistics of people watching streaming services and you'll see a record all-time high. I fear that this company "Reavon" may be short lived so if anyone may be in the market for a new top of the line player they had better jump to it.
Keep in mind that Netflix has had record cancellations- and the streaming wars are killing eveybody's wallet. (Having to subscribe to multiple individual services).
Physical media is still a billion dollar industry. And people don't walk away from a revenue stream like that.

i certainly hope that they do a good job of aping the Oppo 203. The bigger question is whether it will offer region free modding for Blu ray and DVD. (Or whether companies like JBV Digital will offer mods for this like do for Oppos and Panasonics)

Reactions: Lone Crusader
HDR10+ is the equivalent of Betamax and HD DVD. It is a walking dead format.

HDR10+ is the equivalent of Betamax and HD DVD. It is a walking dead format.
Same for all 'available' HDR formats. I'm member of an European AV forum where we review all kind of AV equipment (focus on HT). This new addition to the AV world is heavily overpriced for what is offered. Ok, it's a new brand but for example the sound quality lacks detail which is crazy for an 1000+€ machine. Got myself an Oppo 203 ( and a Cinemike edition stuff/level 2 on its way) and a Panasonic 9000 and those are (imo -to avoid clashes) worth their retail price... This is not (again, my reviewers opinion)....

Reactions: C.C. 95
And off course, it all comes down to the full AV chain wether it is clearly visible & audible, or less.

My chain:
- Oppo 203 & Panasonic 9000/9004
- Marantz AV8805
- JVC N7

Reactions: C.C. 95
Same for all 'available' HDR formats. I'm member of an European AV forum where we review all kind of AV equipment (focus on HT). This new addition to the AV world is heavily overpriced for what is offered. Ok, it's a new brand but for example the sound quality lacks detail which is crazy for an 1000+€ machine. Got myself an Oppo 203 ( and a Cinemike edition stuff/level 2 on its way) and a Panasonic 9000 and those are (imo -to avoid clashes) worth their retail price... This is not (again, my reviewers opinion)....
The only real player is Dolby Vision. You won't find very many discs with HDR10+. (and I don't think I have yet seen one with HLG or Technicolor). HDR10+ was just an odd gambit by Panasonic, Samsung and 20th Century Fox to directly compete with DV. Odd, because it so similar, and they hamstrung themselves by making it proprietary to their systems (with the exclusion of DV).
DV was already well out of the gate and used in the industry. (In fact, if you make a film for Netflix, they require you to make it in DV (and they have a "no 2.35:1 aspect ratio" rule too). So I think HDR10+ was a bad gamble against DV.
I agree with you on the price of the 200. It is asking way too much for the addition of Analog ports and SACD.
i was really surprised when I heard that the first unitvwas $699 (fine) and then heard the astronomical jump to $1699 for the second unit! The thing is - they have some people over a barrel. Since the Oppo 203 is gone - and the Pannys don't have the ability to play files - there is no other game in town (that I am aware of). But, I AM glad that at least someone is filling the niche. (expensive as it may be for the second unit)
I'm glad I bought TWO Oppo 203s years ago before Oppo ended their run. I knew I was gonna want a backup.