Google May Be Leading a Second Wave of Tablets

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Now that Apple has jumped into the tablet arena, everyone else is clamoring to capitalize on the new found attention being garnered by the form factor. We already know that HP has one in the works, and Microsoft has been teasing us with the drool-inducing Courier for months now. Even Dell and Nokia are getting in on the slate craze, and we spent some hands on time at CES with many lower profile would-be iPad competitors.

The one company with serious potential to rain on Apple's parade, Google, has yet to make a formal challenge to the iPad as it did by pitting the Nexus One against the iPhone. Rumor has it, however, that may not be true for much longer.

According the New York Times, Google CEO Eric Schmidt told friends at a party in Los Angeles that the company was working on a tablet device running the Android OS. Details are virtually nonexistent, but the project has been confirmed by anonymous sources inside Google. HP has also been working quietly to prep a second slate device to complement its Windows 7-powered tablet, nicknamed "half-pint," and measuring six-inches of Android-run goodness.

It looks as if the slate form might finally be maturing enough for consumers. Microsoft saw this as the future of computing way back in 2002 when it released Windows XP Tablet PC edition, but until now, the technology and hardware is finally catching up only now.

http://www.switched.com/2010/04/12/google-may-be-leading-a-second-wave-of-tablets/#continued

A little competition will only be good for the consumer! :scat:

man you're like ON it today :p

i think a google made tablet would be epic. go the same route as apple is going with iphone > ipad. nexus one > gpad. its going to be awesome competition, the google marketplace is catching up to the app store...so app wise, we're gonna be good to go either way.

i think we'll get beefier specs with a google tablet tho. and don't forget, we'll also get flash 10.1, as its coming to phones. so it'll have everything the ipad has...and everything it doesn't have!

i just hope they get a good company to build the tablet. not sure if htc can go that big, but lets hope they can

man you're like ON it today :p

i think a google made tablet would be epic. go the same route as apple is going with iphone > ipad. nexus one > gpad. its going to be awesome competition, the google marketplace is catching up to the app store...so app wise, we're gonna be good to go either way.

i think we'll get beefier specs with a google tablet tho. and don't forget, we'll also get flash 10.1, as its coming to phones. so it'll have everything the ipad has...and everything it doesn't have!

i just hope they get a good company to build the tablet. not sure if htc can go that big, but lets hope they can

What has me intrigued is not only that Android is growing big, but the fact that they have an open source mentality!! think of the possibilities!! :oohyeah: