HELP!

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
So a buddy of mine has a 70" DLP he got as a gift, it's no longer under warranty... one day this showed up:

dlpproblem.jpg

That line on the left looks like a piece of screen or something got knocked loose and is falling away... he says it's getting bigger. You can still see picture where the dark area is so it's not the front screen.

Any ideas on what this is or how to fix?

Thanks

I cant see the pic right now as its blocked at work. However, from just reading ... Sounds like it may be a a color wheel issue or sometimes those tons of little mirrors that the DLP reflects off of can fall off. I'll let you know what I think again later today/tonight when I get home and view the pic.

SOLVED

Found out that Samsung DLP's have a notorious light tunnel problem where it causes this shadowy line. Because of a class action lawsuit they are repairing them free of charge to all customers until 2010 by calling their executive customer relations department at 1-800-522-7341 and advising them you have the collapsed light tunnel problem

My buddy was freaking DELIGHTED to find out this information.

Thanks Wreck and Miguel for taking time to check this post and trying to help!

Wow, Hope I dont get that prob .. thats the older model Samsung DLPs though, I used to have a 50 inch like that back before 1080p was so common. (it was 720p ...) Is that one 720 as well? If its 1080p it musta cost a truckload when it was first out.

from what I understand it was a gift from a father in law and he didn't necessarily buy it from best buy.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to home theater tech and I'll be honest this situation caught me totally off guard. SO glad I stayed away from samsung.

But glad everyone with samsungs that are working well are enjoying :scat:

I just hate to see people get screwed over big TVs because they are like a marvel of something so great and when they go bad... it's like being forced to watch Twilight at 70 inches too large.

:hilarious: