Is 4K Now Standard for Sony Releases?

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
Just got "This Is The End" on blu-ray and noticed that the top back of the slipcover says "MASTERED IN 4K"?

29dia79.jpg

Is Sony 'now' doing the right thing and making "Mastered in 4K standard" for new releases???

Last edited:
Are there any sites which do A/B comparisons between the standard blu-ray and "mastered in 4k" versions? I remember there being a stark difference in apparent definition between standard and upscaled DVDs so just wondering whether the same difference is noticeable?

^^ Hey Blu, dont get confused by Sony's marketing BS, the only difference between these and regular BR is the color, which in the real world i imagine is pretty negligible, in light of things like calibration or the quality of the actual display ect.

"Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles can be played on existing Blu-ray Disc players and will support a larger color space using xvYCC."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray#Ongoing_development

Real 4K is a 4k display viewing content in full native 3840 × 2160 resolution - anything else is pure marketing BS

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316

Not sure if i want a curved TV at home though...
Read an article (actually more af a product test) at areadvd where the new Samsung UE55HU8590 really got great results!!! They said that the curved design helped to some better depth in the viewing experience also!
Need to see the TV at a store soon...
The Article is only in german language :(

Reactions: lgans316
Don't expect any physical format to come out anytime soon to feed these TV's any 4K content. Nobody is stupid enough to invest in the amount of money in a declining market.

Are there any sites which do A/B comparisons between the standard blu-ray and "mastered in 4k" versions? I remember there being a stark difference in apparent definition between standard and upscaled DVDs so just wondering whether the same difference is noticeable?

Capsaholic

I would skip 4k and wait for 8k. I think 4k will go very quickly and be replaced by 8k. There are already developments for 8k so its only a short matter of time before it gets pushed out into the market. Theres not much content for 4k but I think that companies that push 4k are only looking to milk consumers and then milk them again when 8k gets popular in a couple years. I think 8k will be the next big popular size format, and will be for a while imo

I could be wrong and 4k does become popular and then 8k become a niche market.

I've said it before, just as others have, but it's worth repeating.

4k is a blind alley that all tv manufacturers are merrily running down wearing blinkers.

The difference between Blu i.e standard HD and 4k is negligible and virtually non-existent in tvs' of 50 inches or less - which the majority are limited to for one reason or another.

Also given that Blu Ray hasn't exactly caught on big time yet - DVD still outsells Blu, and the majority of the public either aren't interested in another format, or can't afford it - and that's just Blu - then 4k is definitely a bridge too far and will remain so for many a long year.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
It just means more added clarity. It's still 4K scaled down to fit 1080p. On previous "Mastered in 4K" titles Sony axed the special features to give the bit rate a boost but its still DVD Super Bit for BD.

I'll always be a sucker for SuperBit type hype in a format. I alone drive that market, haha

It's going to be another contest like 720p (1080i) and 1080p. You remember the "This is HD Television" ads, which were then followed a year or so later with ads saying "This is FULL HD", then you asked wtf was the earlier HD then ???

As it's a complete step change but will it need new consumer media if it then goes to 8K, if I'm still alive by then !?