Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: May 19, 2022
Purchase link: Amazon IT
Price: €29.99

81jGPcKMpZL._SX522_.jpg

"I disagree. I find it interesting and I'm always curious about what an individual's reasons are for quitting collecting."

Thanks. I've given you a few reasons above.

Reactions: Stygian
"I guess I best sell all mine and stop collecting also. Not like it’s 2022 or anything…"

It's mostly men who collect physical media. Yes, some women do, but not many. The companies target nerdy men by releasing Marvel, Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, GoT and the like... how many classic films are on 4K HDR? Not many. A handful. Why? Because the studios think they won't sell.

"You’re the one announcing to complete strangers about changes in your hobby and spending habits."

But they care about your physical media purchases / collection? Oooh. Are you gonna slap me?
Yes, because it's a forum about physical media purchases, not about the best way to get laid.

"Do I give a crap, beyond being irritated by your arrogance?"

It's not ignorance, I've collected VHS, DVD, Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray, but in 2022, it makes no sense to collect physically. I collected steelbooks this time and they look awful lined up on a bookcase. Soulless bits of tin, where you can only see the spines. They're nearly all black spines too. If I watch a movie, say Rear Window, I might not watch that film again for four years, so it's just gonna sit there collecting dust. Digital, you don't have to worry about that.

Something like Vinyl is different because you interact with it, you read the liner notes and you turn the record over. Books, they're cheap, it takes time to read them, finishing one feels like an achievement, and you look like a grown-up. With shelves full of movies, it looks like you have no life, and you don't really interact with them. It is no different than watching the film digitally. Plus at £32 a pop, for a Zavvi steelbook, they're crazy expensive now. The secondary market is even more expensive. And you may get a damaged and dented one. Are you gonna ask the e-bay seller for your money back or suck it up and keep a damaged steel? I've read collectors on forums talking about returning a steelbook five times, until it was perfect, talk about stress and hassle! And they've put the prices up for everyone else. Not to mention the poor company.
Arrogance, not ignorance - I didn't know enough about you to call you ignorant.
Now I see it turning into a now decade long quarrel between the 'physical' and digital.
Steelbooks look great on the shelf - I admit Ironpaks or Viva Metal cases, even metalpaks, look better, having an actual metal spine and hinge rods, but still. And there's plenty of editions with booklets and cards, that you can 'interact' with, look at, and read - that's why we're buying them. Those freaks keeping them sealed not accounting for... :D
But they're not £32, more like £70. So, I guess, it's all about money, you thinking it's not worth it.
I keep some titles 'digitally' (though not in a 'cloud' somewhere, but downloaded on HDD), as I don't think they're worthy of buying in such editions, but if I see them for $10-12, I add them to whatever order being placed that time, and delete a file.
4 years not watching something, how about 20 years, yet it's good to know it's there, if I want it, without scrambling which streaming service might have it, if at all.

"I guess I best sell all mine and stop collecting also. Not like it’s 2022 or anything…"

It's mostly men who collect physical media. Yes, some women do, but not many. The companies target nerdy men by releasing Marvel, Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, GoT and the like... how many classic films are on 4K HDR? Not many. A handful. Why? Because the studios think they won't sell.

That's precisely the populist mindset I thought you had. There's plenty besides and beyond those LOTR and Marvel, which is what 90% of everyone's collections here consists of, I'm sure. And many smaller, so called boutique studios release them - horror, classics, tv series, anime, etc.

Oh, that slap:

Will Smith Reaction GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Nova
About 5%, if that, of people collect boutique releases. Most people do not give a fig about them or ever watch those type of films. Arrow sells cheap b-movie horror, Criterions are vastly overpriced Blu Ray's for snobs. How many people watch those mountains of extras? I'd wager very few. And the movies are incredibly pretentious.

Having anything physical, be it a film, book or record that you haven't watched, listened to etc. for twenty years, just on the off chance you might want to, is ludicrous. You can find almost anything on digital that is worth viewing, for less than the price of one Blu Ray per month. OR you can buy 3.99 titles on I-Tunes, that look just as good. Professional calibrator's have proven it on YouTube, at normally viewing distance.

How many times have you looked at that book, poster etc. that comes with the film, after the initial giddy high has worn off? Once. Twice. Three times a lady.

Also, you stole my Will Smith joke. But I do like the picture.

That’s not what I’m saying and you’ve only further confirmed your narrow minded concepts.

It may shock you but just like myself, not all male collectors want to impress women haha.

I can’t even be bothered to debate this to be honest.

Anyways, I’m intrigued to see how these steels come out, no pun intended.

Despite all this, I have @StevenPosts to thank for finding the last of the black JP steels and at a reasonable price, so I’m hoping I don’t prefer them to the all black ones I’ve now completed haha! And am also hoping the new film is released in all black to match.

Reactions: Nova and Lenny Nero
"It may shock you but just like myself, not all male collectors want to impress women haha."

I honestly can't be bothered debating this either. But I will, ha ha. I've had women walk into my house and see autographs on the wall, and never call again. I've long since parted with those autographs, because I came to my senses. They're a pen mark on a piece of printed card. If you're single they see you as a sad collector of sci-fi / comic book / fantasy merchandise. It's double standards because when a woman collects this stuff, this is seen as cute and adorable! Admittedly, by other nerds mostly, but still. I would rather hide my nerdy side via digital, and have a grown ups apartment. No one collected this stuff in the 50's / 60's etc. and their apartments weren't cluttered. Admittedly, it depends on what's on your shelf... Mad Men and James Bond is gonna look better than Marvel.

It's the same thing with figures. Ask yourself, would Han Solo or Picard have a plastic figure on their desk or in their apartment? NO. Have Star Wars and TNG, on physical media, fine, but maybe keep them in a cupboard.

But this is about steelbooks and how fragile they are. How they could sell out and you're stuck with a damaged one, an incomplete series. How when you buy them secondhand, new and sealed, you can't keep returning them until you get a mint one, it isn't fair on the seller. It is a major stress and hassle for something I don't need. And one more thing, paying £70 to £300 for one film is stupid. You can get the same film for 7.99 on I-Tunes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hatredhorror
"It may shock you but just like myself, not all male collectors want to impress women haha."

I honestly can't be bothered debating this either. But I will, ha ha. I've had women walk into my house and see autographs on the wall, and never call again. I've long since parted with those autographs, because I came to my senses. They're a pen mark on a piece of printed card. If you're single they see you as a sad collector of sci-fi / comic book / fantasy merchandise. It's double standards because when a woman collects this stuff, this is seen as cute and adorable! Admittedly, by other nerds mostly, but still. I would rather hide my nerdy side via digital, and have a grown ups apartment. No one collected this stuff in the 50's / 60's etc. and their apartments weren't cluttered. Admittedly, it depends on what's on your shelf... Mad Men and James Bond is gonna look better than Marvel.

It's the same thing with figures. Ask yourself, would Han Solo or Picard have a plastic figure on their desk or in their apartment? NO. Have Star Wars and TNG, on physical media, fine, but maybe keep them in a cupboard.

But this is about steelbooks and how fragile they are. How they could sell out and you're stuck with a damaged one, an incomplete series. How when you buy them secondhand, new and sealed, you can't keep returning them until you get a mint one, it isn't fair on the seller. It is a major stress and hassle for something I don't need. And one more thing, paying £70 to £300 for one film is stupid. You can get the same film for 7.99 on I-Tunes.
how about you have a designated room for your hobby that you dont show to everyone (at least immediately)? i like my living room clean as well without any or without many collectibles, but stop doing sth you enjoy just because youre afraid that you wont get laid? isnt this denying who you are?

"how about you have a designated room for your hobby that you dont show to everyone (at least immediately)? i like my living room clean as well without any or without many collectibles, but stop doing sth you enjoy just because youre afraid that you wont get laid? isnt this denying who you are?"

No, because I have the films on digital. I regret buying titles physically because I wouldn't watch them that often. They would just sit there. The cost is a factor too, prices are becoming scandalous. The more limited and niche, the higher the price. I can enjoy fantasy / comic book stuff now and then, but too much of it is mind numbing. Heroes vs. villain's, big fight, explosion, repeat. It's not really who I am, I also enjoying watching shows / films set in the real world. Both types of shows / films are accessible on digital and is better for my changing tastes. The reason there is a secondary market in the first place is because people fall out of love with stuff. Once the initial giddiness has worn off. You don't have to worry about that with digital, you can watch Avengers one day and Mrs. Maisel the next.

"how about you have a designated room for your hobby that you dont show to everyone (at least immediately)? i like my living room clean as well without any or without many collectibles, but stop doing sth you enjoy just because youre afraid that you wont get laid? isnt this denying who you are?"

No, because I have the films on digital. I regret buying titles physically because I wouldn't watch them that often. They would just sit there. The cost is a factor too, prices are becoming scandalous. The more limited and niche, the higher the price. I can enjoy fantasy / comic book stuff now and then, but too much of it is mind numbing. Heroes vs. villain's, big fight, explosion, repeat. I also enjoying watching shows / films set in the real world. Both are accessible on digital and is better for my changing tastes. The reason there is a secondary market in the first place is because people fall out of love with stuff. Once the initial giddiness has worn off.
youre stuck with digital forever tho, no refunds, no sale.. if you fall out of love with physical media, you might recoup most of your money and with a little luck even earn a quid or two if its rare

but you do you.. if you prefer digital, then you prefer digital.. simple as that :thumbs:

Reactions: StevenPosts
Thanks. Digital is also far cheaper. Buy a film for 3.99 and it's less than rental price. As long as you watch it once it doesn't matter. You can delete the titles so you're not stuck with them. Paying 13.99 for a digital film is stupid, if you're not gonna watch it at least three times. I may do that rarely for things I know I'm gonna love. I wait for the prices to drop and they will eventually.

Recouping money with physical media is difficult but not impossible. Odds are you won't if you paid a lot for it in the first place. If I paid 146 for the HP 4K steelbook tin and I did, there's no way I'll get that money back. I'll be lucky to get 100. The idea that physical media is an investment is mostly a fallacy, after fees and postage.

Thanks. Digital is also far cheaper. Buy a film for 3.99 and it's less than rental price. As long as you watch it once it doesn't matter. You can delete the titles so you're not stuck with them. Paying 13.99 for a digital film is stupid, if you're not gonna watch it at least three times. I may do that rarely for things I know I'm gonna love. I wait for the prices to drop and they will eventually.

Recouping money with physical media is difficult but not impossible. Odds are you won't if you paid a lot for it in the first place. If I paid 146 for the HP 4K steelbook tin and I did, there's no way I'll get that money back. I'll be lucky to get 100. The idea that physical media is an investment is mostly a fallacy, after fees and postage.
its probably not a particularly good investment if you buy regular retail releases from amazon, zavvi, etc... you might get lucky occasionally and the aftermarket price skyrockets, but usually not.. however, id say with premium editions youre pretty much guaranteed to at least recoup the full price you paid after fees and postage…. but nonetheless it takes effort to list the stuff, bring to the post office, deal with possible compains etc etc…

paying 3,99$ for a rental is definitely much more convienent..

Reactions: StevenPosts

This reminds me heavily of a thread on a forum I used to frequent where a guy said "I have a girl coming over to my house and my roommates will be out all day, what games will I show off to her first?"

Eugh, you don’t get it.

Well my partner of 9 years, husband for almost 3 years doesn’t seem to have an issue with it, and it’s all on display in our living room.

He’s in no way a geek or a collector. So either I’m lucky, or you just need to change your mentality about it all. Either that or find a better dating platform with less judgemental people who will like you for you :meh:

Eugh, you don’t get it.

Well my partner of 9 years, husband for almost 3 years doesn’t seem to have an issue with it, and it’s all on display in our living room.

He’s in no way a geek or a collector. So either I’m lucky, or you just need to change your mentality about it all. Either that or find a better dating platform with less judgemental people who will like you for you :meh:
We spoke about this earlier, it's different if you're a female collector. A guy won't care if a woman has nerdy things. A naked female body trumps all, guy's mentality.

It's usually women that judge nerdy guys and won't date them. I saw an episode of this comic book show on Amazon once, Kevin Smith's store. A woman was making a man get rid of all of his comic books and figures, before they got married. Also, it's not me, I like a comic book film as much as the next guy or gal, but now and again. And, I don't collect figures or comic books. I prefer to watch a mixture of things, so digital is better for me. I started buying popular franchises - via steelbooks, and displaying them. I suddenly thought, "oh no, what have I done?" I've spent a small fortune and they're just gonna sit on the shelf. I already own these on digital. And, I'd prefer not to advertise my geeky side. Just me. Each to their own.

Last edited:
We spoke about this earlier, it's different if you're a female collector. A guy won't care if a woman has nerdy things. A naked female body trumps all, guy's mentality.

It's usually women that judge nerdy guys and won't date them. I saw an episode of this comic book show on Amazon once, Kevin Smith's store. A woman was making a man get rid of all of his comic books and figures, before they got married. Also, it's not me, I like a comic book film as much as the next guy or gal, but now and again. And, I don't collect figures or comic books. I prefer to watch a mixture of things, so digital is better for me. I started buying popular franchises - via steelbooks, and displaying them. I suddenly thought, "oh no, what have I done?" I've spent a small fortune and they're just gonna sit on the shelf. I already own these on digital. And, I'd prefer not to advertise my geeky side. Just me. Each to their own.
Wow, OK, I guess I’m going to have to just spell this out for you then…

I am a gay man married to another gay man. Can you please stop stereotyping and generalising collectors and their behaviours, especially towards objectifying women or implying that those who display a collection aren’t going to get laid. If you don’t get some because your prissy date thinks your a geek and won’t stand for it, you dodged a bullet, quite frankly.

Let’s drop all this BS and just move on. You’re stopping collecting, wonderful. One less person to worry about taking up GB spaces! Haha

Last edited:
It never occurred to me that you might be gay and I don't care. I mean it's 2022, it doesn't bother me, nor should it. Not being a gay man myself though I have no experience of how another gay man might think towards nerdy pursuits.

I have experience with women and I know how they act and think. The man in his mother's basement surrounded by fantasy stuff, well, it's a cliché for a reason. A potential female partner might see this as a man not willing to grow up, surrounded by his toys. A bit like comic book guy on The Simpsons. I'm not trying to be mean, this conversation led down this path naturally. Watch any show, something like Friends, and you'll see women putting down men for liking nerdy things. Is it fair? Yes and no. Everyone should be able to like what they like in a fair world but you might not be taken seriously, as an adult. Society et al. Have to admit if I see someone with shelves full of nerdy stuff and they're still wearing movie / band / manga etc. t-shirts after thirty, I look at them the same way.

Anyway, it's not just about partners, it's about how you see yourself. Whether you feel like a grown up or still a boy who can't let his figures / comic books go. If you feel like an adult with your collection, great! I was explaining how I felt, not generalizing.

Anyway, yeah, let's move on... which means me moving on out of the forum. No longer collecting physical media et al. Have fun. No hard feelings. Bye.

Last edited:
I don't collect signatures, action figures, hate those 'pop' thingies - they're all the same, with a couple of details changed, like an NFT collection - and don't even hang posters (although that will change, I think), but I do have a few 'heads' and busts, and those that visited me, were always interested in them. Girls find Sonny from I Robot scary, and it usually sparks a conversation about AI, and whether she'd have a servant like that, etc.
I don't have millions of dollars, don't own high-rise buildings, yachts or jets or supercars, but I believe my movie collection is in that top 0.1% of super-rich equivalent in terms of its quality and size, and that makes me happy. It's worth more, than 3 apartments together. I've moved with it in the process of being collected, and not to a neighboring town, but between continents, two times - first with it fitting in just a couple of boxes. Then again, having to hire people to haul 4 giant boxes and paying for special cargo on a plane. And I'll most likely have to move it again, this time paying for an international metal container that fits two cars about $15,000-20,000.

Having anything physical, be it a film, book or record that you haven't watched, listened to etc. for twenty years, just on the off chance you might want to, is ludicrous. You can find almost anything on digital that is worth viewing, for less than the price of one Blu Ray per month. OR you can buy 3.99 titles on I-Tunes, that look just as good. Professional calibrator's have proven it on YouTube, at normally viewing distance.

I got at least 5000 titles, so it'll literally take me 15 years to get back to anything, even if I watch 1 a day. :hilarious:
That highlighted phrase is the embodiment of you being wrong beyond reprimand.

I have experience with women and I know how they act and think. The man in his mother's basement surrounded by fantasy stuff, well, it's a cliché for a reason. A potential female partner might see this as a man not willing to grow up, surrounded by his toys. A bit like comic book guy on The Simpsons. I'm not trying to be mean, this conversation led down this path naturally. Watch any show, something like Friends, and you'll see women putting down men for liking nerdy things. Is it fair? Yes and no. Everyone should be able to like what they like in a fair world but you might not be taken seriously, as an adult. Society et al. Have to admit if I see someone with shelves full of nerdy stuff and they're still wearing movie / band / manga etc. t-shirts after thirty, I look at them the same way.

Anyway, it's not just about partners, it's about how you see yourself. Whether you feel like a grown up or still a boy who can't let his figures / comic books go. If you feel like an adult with your collection, great! I was explaining how I felt, not generalizing.

Anyway, yeah, let's move on... which means me moving on out of the forum. No longer collecting physical media et al. Have fun. No hard feelings. Bye.
Wow, you're wrong on so many levels.
First of all, like been said before, if a girl/partner doesn't want anything to do with you, because you have a few steelbooks, or a collection of any kind, that is her problem, and I'd say you shouldn't be with someone like that anyway. But seeing how superficial you're in your world views, maybe you actually should! You'd both be fake, ruled by what 'society', as you perceive it, demands of you. Those kinds of relationships are shallow and won't last anyway, though.

Also, who said you have to 'grow up' out if liking something? Why does it have to be only for teenagers? Especially in a society that usually doesn't give those teenagers the means to have everything they want at the time, or if things didn't exist, when they were younger? It's a very stupid, self-limiting way of thinking and living.

P.S. I like Friends series a lot, but it's hardly indicative of current culture - if anything, it itself has become clichéd, if not offensive and bigoted in parts.

Last edited:
Came into this thread expecting Jurassic park comments and I get conversations about girls. If a girl wants to leave because she sees a few signatures on a wall I’ll gladly show her the door. It mostly effects ugly dudes anyways, I got a friend that paints warhammer and plays dungeons and dragons religiously, he’s a good looking bloke and let me tell ya, he gets some crazy hot girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came into this thread expecting Jurassic park comments and I get conversations about girls. If a girl wants to leave because she sees a few signatures on a wall I’ll gladly show her the door. It mostly effects ugly dudes anyways, I got a friend that paints warhammer and plays dungeons and dragons religiously, he’s a good looking bloke and let me tell ya, he gets some crazy hot girls.
I know right. Find yourself the right one and she'll embrace your interests. Steelbooks have literally taken over my lounge and my mrs doesn't have an issue with it (not that she's voiced anyway). She's even caught the bug and has bought a few herself, including 3 or 4 premiums :whistle:

Back to JP related news please lads and ladettes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lenny Nero