UK
Release date: October 13th, 2014
Purchase Link: Zavvi
Price:
£12.99

Re-Release
Release Date:
July 31st ,2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Saturday July 1st 2017)
Price: £15.99
Notes: Limited to 1000 Units

moon.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 58,098
Last edited by a moderator:
one day on zavvi is extremely long. maybe their HQ is on some massive planet somewhere in the galaxy where a day is over 1 month long. that would also explain why the steels arrive smashed up

Reactions: nicblue
I think Steelbook collectors are the only people who will moan about something being cheaper for longer than expected. If you don't like the price, don't buy it, simple. I am keeping my pre-order for this because it's a great film and the price is reasonable. It's the cheapest Zavvi exclusive to date (if you don't count special offers), yet people are still moaning. I guess some are just never happy.

It's not the actual price, but the method. To say something is discounted for 1 day implies that this is a great deal because after that day the price will increase.

This makes the consumer jump on what they think is a better deal than can be had if they wait.

Some people might jump on it thinking "it's the best deal I'll get because it'll go up, and other people are thinking the same thing so I better act fast before it sells out."

Instead of waiting for it to release, not sell out, and drop eventually.

It just feels like Zavvi is trying to create a false urgency to sell out a product that might not sell out on it's own until much later

Seems like a dirty sales tactic

Last edited:
I think Steelbook collectors are the only people who will moan about something being cheaper for longer than expected. If you don't like the price, don't buy it, simple. I am keeping my pre-order for this because it's a great film and the price is reasonable. It's the cheapest Zavvi exclusive to date (if you don't count special offers), yet people are still moaning. I guess some are just never happy.

As has been stated several times previously, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the price per se, and everything to do with the principle of the matter. (Nice post above dfoles, as well as the others previously).

Reactions: dfoles
It's not the actual price, but the method. To say something is discounted for 1 day implies that this is a great deal because after that day the price will increase.

This makes the consumer jump on what they think is a better deal than can be had if they wait.

Some people might jump on it thinking "it's the best deal I'll get because it'll go up, and other people are thinking the same thing so I better act fast before it sells out."

Instead of waiting for it to release, not sell out, and drop eventually.

It just feels like Zavvi is trying to create a false urgency to sell out a product that might not sell out on it's own until much later

Seems like a dirty sales tactic

People? Are we talking theoretical people who might not actually exist? I think anyone who is smart enough to log into an email account to read a message from Zavvi and then visit their website and place an order, is capable of making a considered decision on whether to purchase a Steelbook or not.

As has been stated several times previously, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the price per se, and everything to do with the principle of the matter. (Nice post above dfoles, as well as the others previously).

Principles which only seem to apply where a retailer's actions are concerned. If a retailer misprices an item, do you refuse to order it out of principle, or do you gleefully complete the checkout process and await delivery of your bargain? At the end of the day, every collector has choice and that means we can grab the great deals and avoid the bad ones.

Reactions: goufcustom
Principles which only seem to apply where a retailer's actions are concerned. If a retailer misprices an item, do you refuse to order it out of principle, or do you gleefully complete the checkout process and await delivery of your bargain? At the end of the day, every collector has choice and that means we can grab the great deals and avoid the bad ones.

That's a largely unhelpful conflation of two diametrically opposed mutually exclusive scenarios. Nevermind...

Reactions: levi and Thelite13
People? Are we talking theoretical people who might not actually exist? I think anyone who is smart enough to log into an email account to read a message from Zavvi and then visit their website and place an order, is capable of making a considered decision on whether to purchase a Steelbook or not.

We're talking about real consumers that see a limited time deal and are under the impression that if they don't act within the presented time frame they'll lose out on a deal.

It's not about the ability to purchase a steelbook, but a false sense of getting a better deal than the normal price. Being lied to in hopes of gaining more sales by a limited time deal.

Again, not the same. One is a glitch and an actual error, the other is a cheap sales tactic.

If they had never said limited time price, no one would think anything of it, just think that it was an amazing price.

We're talking about real consumers that see a limited time deal and are under the impression that if they don't act within the presented time frame they'll lose out on a deal.

It's not about the ability to purchase a steelbook, but a false sense of getting a better deal than the normal price. Being lied to in hopes of gaining more sales by a limited time deal.

If you know it's a lie, then there is no 'false sense of getting a better deal'. That is what i'm trying to say. The vast majority of members here have the information available to make a considered decision. I'm not saying that it is not bad practice, simply that it isn't a big deal in reality. In fact if it helps more collectors who do make a decision to purchase this get it at a more reasonable price, then it is a good thing.

Again, not the same. One is a glitch and an actual error, the other is a cheap sales tactic.

If they had never said limited time price, no one would think anything of it, just think that it was an amazing price.

I didn't say it was the same, I was simply illustrating how 'principles' only seem to apply in certain circumstances.

Likewise, i think steelbook collectors are the only people willing to turn a blind eye to illegal business/trading practices because they think they are getting a good deal. Just remember, these practices which don't adhere to trading standards are not in your favour. Maybe if you took off your steelbook goggles, you would see that.

I just think there are more important things to worry about and more important principles to defend. If that makes me a non-thinking, Steelbook goggle wearing, facepalm inducing, Zavvi fanboy, then so be it.

Last edited:
well you got the zavvi fanboy bit right snooloui, but thats a well known fact :naughty:

personally on this occasion its bad practice but in this case it hasn't gone up either if people are truely offended simple just cancel it to show your disgust, but as they say £12.99 for a steel is prob cheap as its going to get in reality i don't see it ever going up and more than likely the price will remain static not go down either for a while.
but with zavvi nothing surprises me any more! Its more than likely someone forgot to put price up or a person up the chain said no leave it there and therfore thats maybe why.
anyway as they say the choice is yours but don't think you will ever change the machine that is zavvi :woot:

basil :thumbs:

I was thinking the same. They didn't reach their goal though did they? I wasn't surprised, Zavvi have done it before with their so called "24 hour sales" and extended it, maybe they didn't pocket what they had anticipated. Sure false advertising is against trading policies. But no one complains because as long as prices are cheaper it's a win win situation. The Hut Group think they're untouchable, and they are probably right. I'm not scrutinising them, I just think some of their practises are not on. This will get moved to Zavvi retailer thread :D

Reactions: goufcustom
If that makes me a non-thinking, Steelbook goggle wearing, facepalm inducing, Zavvi fanboy, then so be it.

That's all I needed to hear :thumbs:

I just think there are more important things to worry about and more important principles to defend.

There are indeed more important principles to defend, such as ensuring that every human being has access to clean drinking water, but that's another issue for another thread on another place in cyberspace altogether. This however, happens to be the Moon Zavvi exclusive thread on a blu ray media forum, and the last time I checked, any matter of principle, no matter how trivial it may seem to some, is at the very least note worthy. We aren't setting up petitions or planning to march on Zavvi HQ with pitchforks, but we are entitled to discuss and argue our opinions on the subject, in my opinion.