need some PC Help *custom computer*

Okay this is the situation here. Two years ago I purchased a computer via individual parts from Tiger Direct, and figured I'd put it together, and voila!

Unfortunately I STILL have never gotten it to work. I've moved around several times in the last several years so I haven't really had a lot of time to mess with it, and I'm completely stupid when it comes to the technical aspect of figuring out the hardware stuff.

First let me explain my problem and then I'll list the parts.

I put all the parts together, and they were all put where they belong. It was all set up right, and yet I can't get it to load up. Every now and then we were able to get it to the boot menu, where we'd try to get it to load up the disc drive with Windows or the Motherboard setup (by resetting the Cmos to bring up the menu) but once it would reboot to save the info it would revert back to nothing.

No c prompt no nothing. We'd hear it beep or something, but we didn't get anything on the screen, and it would often not even recognize the monitor was plugged in.

Now my brother actually got it to load up Windows, but once it rebooted to finish the installation, it went back to nothing.

I have zero clue what the hell is wrong, but my best guess is that it's either the motherboard or the processor. I've tried two different types of memory, including memory that was on the approved list of that motherboard, because apparantly not all memory will work with that brand for some reason.

I'm frustrated beyond belief and I have limited money to take this to a shop and have them charge me out the ass for looking at it and then telling me they can't do ****.

Anyway here's my parts info that I'm working with, just for full information's sake.

WD Caviar 250GB Sata HD 7200/8MB /Sata-3G

WD Caviar SE 320GB EIDE HD 7200/8mb/ATA-100

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2 Box CPU

Asus M2A-VM AMD-690G Socket AM2 Motherboard

Ultra Micro Fly MATX w/400w PSU Blue

Judging by your description here's my take:

Power supply = works
Memory = ?
Motherboard = busted
Hard Drive = works

If you are connecting your monitor directly to your motherboard and there's no feed sometimes then you have a high probability that your motherboard is bad. I have a similar issue with a pc at work, ironically an AMD system as well, and sometimes it posts and shows the Windows logo and then we have a black screen. Other times we just see a black screen from the get go.

if whenever you get a chance could you check this beep chart and tell me exactly what the beeps are?

I might be able to further help or determine what's wrong.

Okay I'm back. lol

I let my friend borrow it to give to a friend of HIS who is a computer tech guy. Well my friend took it apart and put it back together and got it to load up.

Now he said that when he took the fan and processor off, that some of the pins were bent, so that could have been an issue.

Now though, I have it hooked up and everything, and I loaded up into Windows, ran the updates (the initial ones as XP has never been updated), and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

I rebooted, and it essentially shut down.

I pressed the power button, but nothing. I went around to the back and flipped the power switch button off and then back on. Then I pressed the power button on the front and it loaded up. I installed some more updates, but while it was installing Service Pack 3, the system froze.

I turned it off with a hard shut down (press and hold the power button on the front) and it shut down.

But now it won't load back up again. I flipped the back switch off and on and tried to do it like I did before, but the lights light up, the dvdrw light blinks a few times, but nothing else.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so f*cking tired of this ****!