New 'Diversity Qualifications rules' or How 'Oscars' completely discredited themselves

Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
Academy Awards have been a joke for about a decade now, succumbing to pressure from various groups, and acting like a prostitute, but the recent 'diversity rules' for films to 'qualify' to even be nominated for Best Picture starting from 2024 produced titles for a 2025 ceremony, utterly destroy any relevancy, and make such actors as Richard Dreyfus 'wanna puke'.
The requirements include having at least one lead character in the movie be from an “an underrepresented racial or ethnic group”, having at least 30% of the general ensemble cast be from at least two underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities), or having the movie’s subject focus on one of those groups.

So films like 12 Angry Men wouldn't be nominated, war movies such as Patton wouldn't win, and what do historical pictures need to do, make Cleopatra black... oh, wait... :rolleyes:

It's like in that popular anecdote, that in order to win an Oscar, one should play a retarded, crippled gay victim, made to a rule.

So films like 12 Angry Men wouldn't be nominated, war movies such as Patton wouldn't win, and what do historical pictures need to do, make Cleopatra black... oh, wait... :rolleyes:
Are you intentionally spreading misinformation, or are you so blinded by your anti-woke ideology you can't even properly skim the guidelines to claim ignorance?
Nothing what your saying is true, and you can still have an all-white cast and be in contention for Best Picture.
As @vexred mentioned, the bar is so low you'd have to go out of your to disqualify yourself.
Per Variety, there are only two standards to clear out of the four, and most can be cleared by simply having women working on your production in any capacity; in front or behind the scenes.
The four new diversity and inclusion standards were first announced in 2020; they will be instituted for the upcoming 2024 Academy Awards, with two of the four needing to be fulfilled for a valid submission for best picture. The four standards are described as expanding on-screen representation, themes or narrative; expanding representation among creative leadership and department heads; providing industry access and opportunities to underrepresented demographics; and expanding representation in audience development.
Several examples in another Yahoo article:
The fact of the matter is movies are made by hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands, of people, which we’ve all learned watching those endless Avengers credits. The diversity initiative extends far beyond who’s represented onscreen.
A close reading of the rules shows that they would have had almost no impact on the last decade of Best Picture races — and wouldn’t even necessarily impact stories populated almost entirely with white men,
While Hell or High Water’s three leads are white men, for instance, its two Best Picture-nominated producers were both women. It was co-casted by a woman, its costume designer was a woman and its hair and makeup departments were run by women. Its visual effects coordinator was a woman of colour. So it easily meets the “Standard B” requirement, and could easily meet “C” and “D” as well.
Or 1917, which famously has an all-white cast:
Sam Mendes’s 1917 had a nearly all-white-male cast, but six women scored Oscar nominations for the film, in producing, writing, makeup and hairstyling and sound editing. Mendes, meanwhile, is part West Indian.

Reactions: Jace88
Are you intentionally spreading misinformation, or are you so blinded by your anti-woke ideology you can't even properly skim the guidelines to claim ignorance?
Nothing what your saying is true, and you can still have an all-white cast and be in contention for Best Picture.
As @vexred mentioned, the bar is so low you'd have to go out of your to disqualify yourself.
Per Variety, there are only two standards to clear out of the four, and most can be cleared by simply having women working on your production in any capacity; in front or behind the scenes.

Several examples in another Yahoo article:

Or 1917, which famously has an all-white cast:
why did they come up with those rules if it has practically no effect, unless they just wanted to signal the world how good and openminded they are lol

anyways, if it is like you described it, then its really no issue

If it was misrepresented, then by the articles I read. They only mentioned on-screen representation, only cast, not behind the scenes crew. There was no mention of it anywhere in 4-5 articles I read.
Are you sure about that? Maybe they changed it since 2020.
Plus such wording as having to meet criteria for two groups at the same time, like 30% women and something else, made me believe it will disqualify a lot of films.

If it was misrepresented, then by the articles I read. They only mentioned on-screen representation, only cast, not behind the scenes crew. There was no mention of it anywhere in 4-5 articles I read.
Are you sure about that? Maybe they changed it since 2020.
Plus such wording as having to meet criteria for two groups at the same time, like 30% women and something else, made me believe it will disqualify a lot of films.
This Variety article expands/specifies the criteria that needs to be met. I’m curious to see which articles you read that claimed otherwise, as previously indicated, the bars are so low that even if you applied these rules retroactively to the Best Picture nominees of the last 20 years most of them - if not all - would still pass with flying colors.

I really want to see diversity in Bollywood movies, or in Nigerian movies and japanese and chinese movies....it's so non inclusive it makes me wanna scream!!:arghh:
Last time I saw a Korean movie and it was only korean people EEK!

Guess it only applies to american and european movies, there is no one on this planet more woke than me I dare anybody on here to challenge me on that:yawn:
How am I supposed to enjoy a movie if it is not diverse, am I supposed to sit there for 1,5 hours and fuming, wondering each minute where the POC are?

I really want to see diversity in Bollywood movies, or in Nigerian movies and japanese and chinese movies....it's so non inclusive it makes me wanna scream!!:arghh:

Guess it only applies to american and european movies, there is no one on this planet more woke than me I dare anybody on here to challenge me on that:yawn:
How am I supposed to enjoy a movie if it is not diverse, am I supposed to sit there for 1,5 hours and fuming, wondering each minute where the POC are?
Okay, two things here. First, the countries you’re referring to are largely homogeneous societies. Korea, for example, has a population with a Korean ethnicity of 96%. So in a way, their movies do (mostly) reflect the diversity that exists within their culture.

Second, US/Hollywood movies have a larger reach worldwide, and there’s more pressure/appeal to connect with a wider audience rather than just white people. And just beyond that, unlike the previous countries you just mentioned, America is not a largely homogeneous white society. The demand for diversity is justified cuz it’s actual a diverse country.

The hilarious thing is that white people are a minority in the world and no one gives a crap. Nor should they. I'm not holding my breath to see 30% ethnic minorities (for example white people) in the next big korean film. And I don't know why anyone would give a sh*t to be frank. Of course, no one cares when it's all of the other cultures, since they are not white and therefore not evil...or something like that.

Cinema is about humanity, not skin color or sexuality. If I watch Moonlight I can relate to the characters, and I'm not black nor gay. I don't need a straight white guy to run around in the frame of that film just to see someone who doesn't even have anything to do with me, but just shares these superficial traits with me, to be able to somehow "identify". I can see the people for who they are and relate on a human level. So why it is that everyone who's not white needs to see their skin color or sexual orientation everywhere in western cinema now is beyond me. Humanity is supposed to be beyond the things by now. Especially when we have greats like Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson and so many more who have reached their positions not because of their skin color but because of their talent and ability. We were on the right path, to simply not care about that stuff. But I guess the ruling class have those people on their side who constantly want to fight invisible injustices in every corner everywhere by creating actual injustices (by creating an officially determined disantvantage for white men in cinema for example). It's funny how the white liberals who constantly cry about "whiteness" in cinema and colonialism now act as white saviours themselves and seem to relish in it. They literally are who they say they're fighting. It's both hilarious and tragic.

Mendes, meanwhile, is part West Indian.
Sure he is. I bet his parents Jameson Peter Mendes and Valerie Helene Mendes agree. If he's part Indian, then I can say I'm part black, because, you know, evolution...or something like that.

The fact that Sam Mendes has to say he's part indian even though he's obviously white and some great-great grandfather of his may have been indian, only to justify being nominated or winning an award, shows how off the rails we have gone as a society. One might even make a certain comparison to a certain time around 80 years ago, when people had to prove their ethnic ancestry...I don't think that went all too well back then either.

Even when everyone in movies was mostly white (although I don't remember such times, even movies in the 80's and 90's were 'inclusive' when the story demanded it), the whole world watched it and was fine and happy.

Second, US/Hollywood movies have a larger reach worldwide, and there’s more pressure/appeal to connect with a wider audience rather than just white people. And just beyond that, unlike the previous countries you just mentioned, America is not a largely homogeneous white society. The demand for diversity is justified cuz it’s actual a diverse country.
Diversity should be there, when it's actually there, like if it's a current LA cop show - and in such cases it long was, look at The Wire or The Shield.
But it should not be forced on everything, that's just stupid, and people who propose and support that are stupid. There are far more important causes in the world to put your time and energy in.