Request to Wreck - Abolish matte finishing on high profile releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Wreck,

Can you please use your influence and contacts to persuade Studios like Warner and Fox to use glossy finishing and embossing / debossing on high profile releases? The current trend of using matte finishing is extremely disappointing. Here are few examples:

1. Terminator

2. Life of Pi

3. Promethues

4. Skyfall (finishing still not up to the mark. Even Taken 2 got embossing but not this one)

5. The Dark Knight Rises

6. Hobbit 2D

Reactions: lolwut
There's nothing wrong with matte finishing when it's done right but Fox and Warner tend to use poorer matte finishes than for example Paramount (in my opinion). I don't see how anyone could say that their Shooter and Saving Private Ryan UK releases were disappointing. It's not matte finishing itself, it is the quality of the finish that is letting some Steelbooks down.

Its mostly done for cost savings .... most those titles got shared runs via diff Countries. This trend wont stop as long as we're all buying them.

I reallyy love teh smooth matte finishes that rarely any steels get .... GrindHouse and Black Hawk Down got this. I presume the other titles in teh Black Hawk wave got this ... but I've yet to pick them all up.

Totally agree, the finish of the Paramount titles is beautiful (Shooter, SPR, Untouchables etc) The 10th Anniversary Gladiator (DE) has a gorgeous lustre finish, as does the UK release of The Dark Knight Rises walks all over the USA/ CAN versions.
Disappointed that Life Of Pi has a matt finish, maybe the UK version will be Lustre.
Prometheus would have looked outstanding in a duel coat finish. I hope that the upcoming Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Star Trek releases will be dual coat.

I have no doubt that the Indiana Jones releases will be amazing. Paramount rarely make a bad Steelbook and since they started doing those Play.com exclusives, I don't believe they have made a single dud. Star Wars on the other hand is a little more worrying. I hope Fox don't cheap out on the finish like they did with their first UK wave.

Gloss definitely is better. I don't give a damn about fingerprints as they wipe off easily. Gloss = premium to me, which is what a steelbook should be about.

Matte is not a problem but only when done properly. Paramount seem to have it nailed. Fox on the other hand must use the cheapest finish available because the paint seems extremely thin, dull and chips with ease.

Reactions: lgans316
I guess people who keep all their steelbooks sealed don't care as much! I guess some matte finishes are better than others but hopefully it should be Scanavo who should be making sure quality is consistent with their releases.

Its mostly done for cost savings .... most those titles got shared runs via diff Countries. This trend wont stop as long as we're all buying them.

I reallyy love teh smooth matte finishes that rarely any steels get .... GrindHouse and Black Hawk Down got this. I presume the other titles in teh Black Hawk wave got this ... but I've yet to pick them all up.

Hey Wreck, how much difference is there between having a glossy and matte finish as far as cost goes. Is there a lot? Myself I much prefer glossy as it looks better and is less prone to rust and wear.

Hey Wreck, how much difference is there between having a glossy and matte finish as far as cost goes. Is there a lot? Myself I much prefer glossy as it looks better and is less prone to rust and wear.

I'm not at liberty to be actually specific. It's not ungodly tho.

Reactions: Sigill
I happen to be a massive lover of the matte finish on the Terminator steel. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the film but the steel is so nice in hand, its one of my favourites of last year.
I like the diversity, i don't want 100% glossy steel releases, like i wouldn't want all releases to be embossed.

Ok, maybe i lied about the second one....

Reactions: bd251 and Ricker
I like matte finishes, it'd be wrong for all releases to be glossy...it's all down to personal preference I guess...I do like some glossy ones though...so I want both :)

Reactions: Ricker
Status
Not open for further replies.