Special Edition: NYC "NYCC Part 2" 2014

mllNY

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
New York, NY
Announced this week in June there will be a smaller comic book focused show held by ReedPop in the Javitt's Center North.

For those not familiar that is the hanger bay area that artist alley currently takes up and the show is expected to attract 10-15,000 people per day.

Useful Links
Special Edition: NYC Official Website
Special Edition: NYC Creators
Special Edition: NYC Tickets

Ticket Prices:
Saturday or Sunday: $30/day
VIP Sold Out

First Wave of Artists:
1011274_585406424876803_1937452925_n.jpg

Attachments

• special-edition-nyc-logo-high-res.jpg
    special-edition-nyc-logo-high-res.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,034
Last edited by a moderator:
anyone else going to this?

On top of a ton of comic creators they have a bunch of panels, the two big publishers (DC and Marvel) are there with some cool panels

MARVEL: All-New Young Guns
Saturday 12:45 PM

Marvel’s newest superstar illustrators – assembled on one stage! Originally launched in 2004, the Young Guns program has shined a spotlight on the best and brightest in the comic book industry early in their careers. Now, join Marvel’s ALL-NEW YOUNG GUNS as they unveil exclusive imagery, explain their methods and influences, discuss how they got into the industry and more!
MARVEL: Next Big Thing
Saturday 2:45 PM

Want to start reading Marvel comics? There’s no better time than Marvel NOW! And there’s no better place to learn about our thrilling and creatively diverse All-New Marvel NOW series than this panel! PLUS – What cataclysmic event begins this September in AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS? You’ve got questions and we’ve got answers! Don’t miss exciting discussion of current and future projects as editors & writers spill the beans on all things MARVEL!
Marvel Unlimited+ MEMBERS ONLY Event
Sunday 11:15 AM

Join Executive Editorial Director of Digital Ryan Penagos as well as Marvel editors and top creators for a private panel discussion of what’s happening inside the Marvel Universe. Get FREE merchandise, sneak peeks of upcoming comics, Q&A Session to answer all your burning questions and more! PLUS – Unlimited AXIS! What exactly is AXIS, Marvel’s Fall 2014 Avengers and X-Men event? Find out more HERE! Marvel Unlimited Plus Members ONLY – show your Member Card or confirmation email at the Marvel Booth for event credentials.

DC COMICS – Batman 75th Anniversary
Date: Sunday, June 15
12:15 pm - 1:15 pm
Speakers: Francis Manapul, Gail Simone, Greg Pak, James Tynion IV, John Cunningham, Tim Seeley

Description:
For the last 75 years, Batman’s crusade against the corrupt and evil has permeated across the DC Universe and beyond! Join some of the comics’ biggest talents who are behind the Dark Knight adventures for an exclusive look at what’s in store for the World’s Greatest Detective! There has never been a better time to walk the streets of Gotham City!

Alright so I am Back! The SE:NYC tag in my signature is now black signifying it has come and gone :(

Overall for the first year the con was very well attended and was a very intimate show. No insanity that the bigger (SDCC and NYCC) shows are like. More like a modern old 'house' show.

For Saturday there was a good line of people waiting to get in but the vibe was completely different than the big shows

Saturday AM Line closer to letting in time

That said I do think the show drew more people in part because they were selling NYCC tickets early. Saturday the line was insane for NYCC Tickets.

Saturday NYCC Ticket Buying Line

Sunday on the other hand, largely in part due to Fathers Day and another local show in town, attendance was a bit tame. I am not sure if they hit expectations for Sunday. Around 9 AM there was nowhere near the same line as Saturday that time. Show floor opened at 10 AM for regular ticket holders.

Sunday AM Line when I arrived at 8:50

The artists at the show were amazing talents and most seemed happy to be there, I even overheard one or two say they wished it was a three day show. Even the exhibitors were happy with the vibe of the show.

I met the young guns, Tony Daniel, David Mack, Chris Cleramont, Francis Manpul, Betsy Peterschmidt, Peter David, and whole bunch more

Francis Manpul did this sketch in like 1 minute for this guy. Amazing

I did some panels (Saturday - Young Guns; Sunday - Batman 75th, Marvel 75th, and a panel held by a professor about the golden age of comics) and mostly spent time on the show floor. Overall I had a great time. I even met Dan Didio and told him we need some amazing Batman panels and took a photo with him.

My one gripe was that I bought the VIP pass, which let you in at 9:30 a half hour early. However I think the show organizes may not have mentioned that to the artists cause on Saturday a good portion of the artists were not even at the show and some booths were not set up and the same for Sunday. Now I have worked booths for my company before so I understand that early morning set up feeling and people are around before you get to set up, so I am not upset. My one suggestion would be that in future years they push the start time to 11 to 8 and let the VIPs in at 10:30 or at least tell artists there are attendees on the floor that early. But again on Sunday when they let us in there were no more than 15-20 people on the VIP line so a VIP was likely still able to get a majority of stuff done before an artist who may not yet have shown up arrives.

Anyway the site is still up so you can take a look at the talent they brought this year and I hope they do this again next year. Because I have a few cons this year and really do favor fantasy art I was a bit tame on my spending, but I did pick up a small custom piece. However I did see some people drop some big bucks. I am sure commissions were a big draw and I know someone bought a big piece from Tony S Daniel due to the number of benjamins on the table

I did get a few older comics signed but realized I photographed them with some surprises for a buddy so had to take that down to not spoil it for him :LOL:

Here is some swag

Thanks go to Brains S for blinging my Pass with the Special Edition Lanyard, made my day

My custom Griffin by Betsy Peterschmidt, which came out amazing. also considering a custom from Morgan O Shay.

and finally there were some cosplayers

FOR KEN!

There is no Dana only Zuul and Gozer

I'm in love with this girl, marry me wherever you are :drool:

full album here

http://s1364.photobucket.com/user/mllNY/library/SE NYC 2014?sort=3&page=1

Reactions: tridon