Sep 2, 2017
CANADA
Release date: April 25, 2022
Purchase links: 88 Films - Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £34.99

spec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooh yyyyyeah!!!
I do have all of them on Scream Factory Blu-rays, but that box looks awesome, and last 2 are in individual cases, while Scream release has 3 & 4 together. If they add a booklet and some cards, I'll have to buy, even though I think they'll just recycle all the same special features, some of which were new and exclusive at the time to those editions. Or they might put out barebones discs with 2.0 audio - it's 88 Films after all. :wtf:

Oooooh yyyyyeah!!!
I do have all of them on Scream Factory Blu-rays, but that box looks awesome, and last 2 are in individual cases, while Scream release has 3 & 4 together. If they add a booklet and some cards, I'll have to buy, even though I think they'll just recycle all the same special features, some of which were new and exclusive at the time to those editions. Or they might put out barebones discs with 2.0 audio - it's 88 Films after all. :wtf:

Don't let your hopes down - maybe they'll include DTS-HD 7.1 or just mono :D :giggle: :LOL:

Oooooh yyyyyeah!!!
The previous Deluxe boxes they released are great & have some cards, booklet and poster. This will likely be the same.

Disc 1 SPECIES

• Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen and Director Roger Donaldson
  • Audio Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson, Make-Up Effects Creator Steve Johnson,
  • Visual Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund and Producer Frank Mancuso Jr.
  • Audio Commentary with Critics Kim Newman and Film-maker Sean Hogan
  • After Birth: The Evolution of Species
  • From Sil to Eve
  • The Making of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery
  • Designing a Hybrid
  • Alternate Ending
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Stills Gallery
Disc 2 SPECIES 2

• Audio Commentary with Director Peter Medak
  • From Sil to Eve with Natasha Henstridge
  • Creature Creations: The Effects of Species II
  • Alien Evolutions with Chris Brancato
  • Special Effects Outtakes & behind the Scenes Footage
  • Species II: Eve of Destruction
  • "Additional Unseen Footage": - The Debutants - The Strip Club - Transvestite - Extended Tongue
  • Theatrical Trailer
Disc 3 SPECIES 3

• Audio Commentary with Director Brad Turner, Writer Ben Ripley and Actor Robin Dunne
  • Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz
  • Alien Odyssey: Evolution
  • Alien Odyssey: Species DNA
  • Alien Odyssey: Alien Technology
  • Alien Odyssey: Intelligent Lifeforms
  • Genesis
  • Falling Apart
  • Original Trailer
Disc 4 SPECIES THE AWAKENING

• Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz
  • Alien Awakenings - An Interview with Director Nick Lyon
  • Miranda’s Memories - An Interview with Actress Helena Mattson
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Original Trailer

• Informative
Reactions: Lenny Nero
If the above special features list is complete, then in comparison to the US Shout Factory release Species is missing 2 featurettes, 1 old that was present on previous BDs everywhere, and 1 new one, exclusive to Shout (H.R Giger at Work, and Engineering Life), as well as three sets of production and creature stills galleries, but has a third, new commentary from critics.
US CE is on 2 discs.

Species II only missing a stills galery, or maybe it's just not listed.
Interview with Natasha Henstridge is the same, so it would be stupid of them to include on both discs (Shout first released the sequels under their Scream label, and the Collector's Edition of the original film later, and added that interview there as well).

Species 3 isn't missing anything and has a new commentary with the journalists, and something called "Falling Apart".

Species 4 also has a new commentary, and, it seems, deleted scenes and a trailer, which are not listed on the back of the Scream Factory cover (I haven't opened it still), and is not missing anything.

Since all the sequels were only released in US and are long OOP, they're being sold for crazy 100s of dollars, especially Species 2. So it might be a good time, before everyone caught on about a UK release, to sell those.
I'll keep Species 2 disc, since it has those galleries, and won't bother for $50 with the double feature 3&4 release (seems prices already started falling).

If the above special features list is complete, then in comparison to the US Shout Factory release Species is missing 2 featurettes, 1 old that was present on previous BDs everywhere, and 1 new one, exclusive to Shout (H.R Giger at Work, and Engineering Life), as well as three sets of production and creature stills galleries, but has a third, new commentary from critics.
US CE is on 2 discs.

Species II only missing a stills galery, or maybe it's just not listed.
Interview with Natasha Henstridge is the same, so it would be stupid of them to include on both discs (Shout first released the sequels under their Scream label, and the Collector's Edition of the original film later, and added that interview there as well).

Species 3 isn't missing anything and has a new commentary with the journalists, and something called "Falling Apart".

Species 4 also has a new commentary, and, it seems, deleted scenes and a trailer, which are not listed on the back of the Scream Factory cover (I haven't opened it still), and is not missing anything.

Since all the sequels were only released in US and are long OOP, they're being sold for crazy 100s of dollars, especially Species 2. So it might be a good time, before everyone caught on about a UK release, to sell those.
I'll keep Species 2 disc, since it has those galleries, and won't bother for $50 with the double feature 3&4 release (seems prices already started falling).
It's not yet listed on 88 films website under coming soon
When that happens any extras not listed will be known if they will be included or not

4-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Rainbow Board Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Joel Robinson
  • Species Limited Collector’s Editions Featuring all 4 Films
  • 6 x Premium Collectors Art-cards
  • Double-sided fold-out poster featuring new artwork and the original poster for Species
  • Classic artwork for all 4 films in the Blu-ray cases
  • Limited Edition 40 page glossy picture-booklet with new writing on the films by Andrew Graves & Tim Murray
DISC 1 - Species (1995) 108 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen and Director Roger Donaldson • Audio Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson, Make-Up Effects Creator Steve Johnson, Visual Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund and Producer Frank Mancuso Jr. • Audio Commentary with Critics Kim Newman and Film-maker Sean Hogan • After Birth: The Evolution of Species • From Sil to Eve with Natasha Henstridge • The Making of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery • Designing a Hybrid • Alternate Ending • Theatrical Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 2 - Species II (1998) 93 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Director Peter Medak • Creature Creations: The Effects of Species II • Alien Evolutions with Chris Brancato • Special Effects Outtakes & behind the Scenes Footage - Species II: Eve of Destruction• “Additional Unseen Footage”: - The Debutants - The Strip Club - Transvestite - Extended Tongue • Theatrical Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 3 - Species III (2004) 102 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Director Brad Turner, Writer Ben Ripley and Actor Robin Dunne • Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz • Alien Odyssey: Evolution • Alien Odyssey: Species DNA • Alien Odyssey: Alien Technology • Alien Odyssey: Intelligent Lifeforms • Genesis • Falling Apart • Original Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 4 - Species: The Awakening (2007) 98 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz • Alien Awakenings - An Interview with Director Nick Lyon • Miranda’s Memories - An Interview with Actress Helena Mattson • Deleted Scenes • Original Trailer • Stills Gallery

TECHNICAL SPECS
  • Region Code: B
  • Discs: 4
  • Audio: DTS-HD 5.1 / DTS-HD 2.0
  • Picture: 1080p HD 2.35:1 / 1.85:1
  • Runtime: 108 / 93 / 102 / 98 mins approx
  • Language: English
  • Subtitles: English SDH

Decided not to buy it.
1) So as not to 'devalue' my existing editions.
2) All that's new in this 88 Films release, is from people that had nothing to do with the movie, and me not ever watching the 4th film yet at all, I thought if I ever get around to it, and 3rd one, it won't be for those critics commentaries.
And the original one has two commentary tracks I need to listen besides having to sit through a third from, again, some critics that had nothing to do with the movie.
It would be nice to have 3rd and 4th in separate cases, but they're unimportant DTV sequels, and the box seemed nice, but I'm over it by now, especially now seeing its ugly holofoil everywhere...

It is a good, and cheap, release for those that didn't buy US discs in time, and didn't want to pay 5x prices later.

Amazon UK order finially dispatched took a while for some reason

I should have delivery by Tuesday

Amazon price at one stage dropped to £29.99 and luckly I had pre ordered before that price drop
So I only paid £29.99 with the pre order price guarantee
Amazon then put price back to £34.99 before release date to be same as other retailers

I just finished going through this set. The first film's transfer appears to be the newer 4K transfer that Scream Factory did a few years ago. It looks gorgeous. I had a lot of fun going through this set even if I didn't like the final two films. I am happy that we have a boxset of these films on blu-ray. It is worth the price that 88 Films is asking for.

88 Films are doing another re-release
The re-release does not include the booklet or Artcards or poster that was in the deluxe collector's edition
Release date January 30th 2023
4-DISC EDITION CONTENTS

• Double-Walled Gloss slipcase with artwork by Joel Robinson
  • Classic artwork for all 4 films in Black Blu-ray cases

DISC 1 - Species (1995) 108 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen and Director Roger Donaldson • Audio Commentary with Director Roger Donaldson, Make-Up Effects Creator Steve Johnson, Visual Effects Supervisor Richard Edlund and Producer Frank Mancuso Jr. • Audio Commentary with Critics Kim Newman and Film-maker Sean Hogan • After Birth: The Evolution of Species • From Sil to Eve with Natasha Henstridge • The Making of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery • Designing a Hybrid • Alternate Ending • Theatrical Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 2 - Species II (1998) 93 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Director Peter Medak • Creature Creations: The Effects of Species II • Alien Evolutions with Chris Brancato • Special Effects Outtakes & behind the Scenes Footage - Species II: Eve of Destruction• “Additional Unseen Footage”: - The Debutants - The Strip Club - Transvestite - Extended Tongue • Theatrical Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 3 - Species III (2004) 102 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Director Brad Turner, Writer Ben Ripley and Actor Robin Dunne • Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz • Alien Odyssey: Evolution • Alien Odyssey: Species DNA • Alien Odyssey: Alien Technology • Alien Odyssey: Intelligent Lifeforms • Genesis • Falling Apart • Original Trailer • Stills Gallery

DISC 4 - Species: The Awakening (2007) 98 mins [DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 & Optional SDH]

Audio Commentary with Film Journalists Dave Wain and Matty Budrewicz • Alien Awakenings - An Interview with Director Nick Lyon • Miranda’s Memories - An Interview with Actress Helena Mattson • Original Trailer • Stills Gallery

TECHNICAL SPECS
  • Release Date: 30/01/2023
  • Region Code: B
  • Discs: 4
  • Audio: DTS-HD 5.1 / DTS-HD 2.0
  • Picture: 1080p HD 2.35:1 / 1.85:1
  • Runtime: 108 / 93 / 102 / 98 mins approx
  • Language: English
  • Subtitles: English SDH

88 Films

Amazon UK
Amazon product