Tesco - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Tesco-Logo-Colour.jpg

Feel free to discuss any service, shipping and other issues related to this retailer.

Last edited:
I received my copy of Jaws from Tesco Entertainment yesterday. I had pre-ordered with them. It was despatched on the 5th of September by 2nd class Royal Mail, and received on the 10th.

It was packaged in a cardboard envelope without any additional protection or padding inside. Could have done with some additional padding, but the steelbook arrived undamaged as far as I can see, so no complaints this time!

I've included pictures - taken with my phone so not the best quality, but give an idea of how items are packaged and sent by Tesco.

Attachments

• 20120911_201753.jpg
    20120911_201753.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 20120911_201900.jpg
    20120911_201900.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 20120911_201956.jpg
    20120911_201956.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 201
I ordered 3 Battleship Steelbooks at tesco long time back making use of some voucher with minimum spend on it. Tesco system automatically canceled all the orders close to the release date without any reason. When I called Tesco, they said system thought it was a bogus order as it had 3 quantities of the same item and canceled it. Asked tesco to reinstate the order but by that time the Steelbook was gone. Poor website and customer service.

i despise the thought of getting a steelbook from a supermarket.
they will have no conception of how special steelbooks are, and thier moronic staff will no doubt treat them with about as much care as they treat thier customers.
a mint steelbook will become a thing of the past.
one thing is for sure, i refuse point blank to pay cash for any copy of taken 2 and skyfall that isnt in a steelbook case. id sooner illegaly download them on principal - and i am 100% against piracy.

i despise the thought of getting a steelbook from a supermarket.
they will have no conception of how special steelbooks are, and thier moronic staff will no doubt treat them with about as much care as they treat thier customers.
a mint steelbook will become a thing of the past.
one thing is for sure, i refuse point blank to pay cash for any copy of taken 2 and skyfall that isnt in a steelbook case. id sooner illegaly download them on principal - and i am 100% against piracy.

Just bear in mind that some members here may have family members working in such places like Tescos and Sainsburys (where i buy FOOD!)

Like me.....

Just bear in mind that some members here may have family members working in such places like Tescos and Sainsburys (where i buy FOOD!)

Like me.....

:hilarious: yeah i do too (my uncle works at sainsbury) he is one of very few exceptions though.
he collects steelbooks too, but most of his colleagues are only slightly above jeremy kyle grade.
the majority of his workmates would find it amusing to use a steelbook as a frisbee in the stockroom.
not wanting to affend anyone, im just venting. having the wost month of my life (like many other steelbook collectors) having had the only 2 doors closed to exclusive uk steelbooks.
im at a low ebb, my main hobby having been all but killed, in the most depressing month of the year.
not seeing much to look forward to now, as i dont think there is any other uk retailer to pick up the gauntlet. amazons steels from the continent are usually very low quality (having all the features that we all hate. ie printed backs, printed logos, no inside art) so even if they put thier hand in, it will be just a depressing reminder of how great play were, and how decent hmv were (lets not forget thor, captain america, super 8, cowboys and aliens)
all we can hope for is that universal and paramount, off thier own backs, carry on with good steels and release them nation wide.
probably not limited runs, but i dont care if its limited. im not in it to be part of a clique or to make profit. just to have nice steelbooks

So your having the worst month of your life because of play.com and HMV shutting down

Not trying to sound rude but i think a few people need a reality check and put themselves in the shoes of an HMV employee who if HMV do fold, will have no idea where the next paycheck will come from to put food on the table for their familys

Let alone purchase steelbooks

That's my 2 cents anyway because it's tiresome seeing people worry about the next steelbook when 4500 people may lose their jobs. I've had family and friends be out of work and have feared losing their homes .

One day when Tesco rules the world no-one will have to fear them.

They put my father out of business when I was a child, they opened up a convenience store at the end of my road. Now another one is opposite just for good measure. They tried to destroyed the area with a car park that they tried to extent through the woods. Were it not for people chaining themselves to trees they would have succeded.

I despise them to my core. Disgusting organisation.

So your having the worst month of your life because of play.com and HMV shutting down

Not trying to sound rude but i think a few people need a reality check and put themselves in the shoes of an HMV employee who if HMV do fold, will have no idea where the next paycheck will come from to put food on the table for their familys

That's my 2 cents anyway because it's tiresome seeing people worry about the next steelbook when 4500 people may lose their jobs. I've had family and friends be out of work and have feared losing their homes .

I gotta agree here....... no more steelbooks from HMV or Play, for me I couldn't care less about the steelbooks. It's about all of the guys who are about to lose their jobs from HMV and Play, with todays economy even though there are jobs out there, it's going to be increasingly hard for them to find new jobs. Steelbooks are the least of my concerns in the grand scheme of things.

Steelbooks you can source from elsewhere if you are genuinely bothered about them either from other websites or group buys on here. What I am bothered about are two of the best online retailers (especially Play.com) going under and having to now go elsewhere for my movies, and most of the monopoly being given to Amazon. Less competition for them means they can charge more for their goods.

Reactions: Wootball
I'm more annoyed about UK jobs/retailers being closed and UK jobs being lost than I am about losing a source steelbooks. In reality they're nicely packaged movies and that's all they are - it's more of a 'ah nuts' than a 'well I guess I'll kill myself'.

Reactions: TakingYoSteelz

looks like i ruffled a few feathers lol.
id like to clarify (it might make you feel better) my having the worst month of my life is not entirely down to losing the only 2 uk retailers who cater properly for pretty much my only current hobby.
the month as a whole, for myself, immediate circle of friends/family, and my country as a whole.
i used to love my country, i was proud to be english/british.
and generally, 2012 was a poor year (again for myself and immediate family) i wont go into details, but health scares, death, bad fortune generally.... all made for a year that almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong.
then the uk/world bad news got to me. as a whole, 2012 ammounted to probably my worst year so far in all my 33.
the main plus point for me, something good to focus on, was the steelbooks.
and to be fair, from 8pm christmas eve, the week went brilliant. the last week of 2012 was one of the best weeks id had for a looooong time.

i had high hopes for the new year, that surely it couldnt be worse than 2012.
that surely, by comparison 2013 would be a good year.
but no. i was oh so wrong.
the first few days back at work were a nightmare, problem after problem, and most things that could go wrong did go wrong.
then play.com drop the bomb, then jessops go (which doesnt directly affect me, but i felt bad for the job losses, and the loss of another highstreet staple)
then hmv go. then the website shuts too (so now, my hobby is seriously affected-so that is the most personal bad news).
so my bad month, is yes on a personal level a lot to do with losing that source of steels, and losing my 2 favoured place to buy any media.
but also about the bad feeling of all the job losses, and 3 big brands closing.
then today-to add further to this absolutley worst month- blockbuster go. and the helicopter crash, killing 2 people.
bad news everywhere you look. on most levels.
and on a more personal level, my car seems to be falling to bits, the traffic is ridiculous, taking me now near to an hour each way, meaning i hardly see the kids before they go to bed. and a hundred other little/middle size and large niggles.....
i could go on all night, breaking it down with all the things that get me down.
but i fully appreciate my charmed life.
i have a decent job, nice enough house in a nice enough area, 2 lovely kids, a lovely girlfriend. we all have good health, and we dont have money worries.
so yes i should be, and i am happy with my lot.
but i feel at breaking point with the decline of this once great country on every level. from the ruined economy, to the ruined social decency, to the chavs, spongers, immegrants and other disrespectful, unappreciative idiots who drag the country down.
we are on our knees, and i can see nothing positive coming our way.

so now that 4500 you talk about, you can round it up to 10,000.
i hate to see that. but it doesnt affect my life directly, so i can carry on my life as normal, despite how bad a taste it leaves.
i dont feel passionate enough about that to donate my desposable income to their cause, so i dont see how i can help there.

to close, i go to work (ok im fortunate to still have a job so no need to point that out), i pay my taxes, i live by the law, i feel i give enough to my country to be entitled to an opinion. i hold doors open, i say please and thankyou. i give respect first, until i see a reason to withdraw it.
im probably not a model citizen, but id class myself as one of the 'good guys'
its my opinion that in return, i should be allowed to be passionate about a hobby.
my main hobby is watching and collecting films, and my main area of collecting is steelbooks. which, in fairness, is why i come to this website.
so.. as a steelbook collector, the closure of play.coms direct retail and hmv in their current form, is a hammer blow to my main hobby.
doenst mean i dont appreciate all the other hurt and pain in the world.
but this isnt really the forum to debate most other evils, rest assured though, i have strong opinions on all such things :D

I gotta agree here....... no more steelbooks from HMV or Play, for me I couldn't care less about the steelbooks. It's about all of the guys who are about to lose their jobs from HMV and Play, with todays economy even though there are jobs out there, it's going to be increasingly hard for them to find new jobs. Steelbooks are the least of my concerns in the grand scheme of things.

Steelbooks you can source from elsewhere if you are genuinely bothered about them either from other websites or group buys on here. What I am bothered about are two of the best online retailers (especially Play.com) going under and having to now go elsewhere for my movies, and most of the monopoly being given to Amazon. Less competition for them means they can charge more for their goods.

you kinda contradicted yourself there a little bit fella. yes you can get steelbooks from a few select other places.
(and see above if you are questioning my empathy towards the potentially unemployed), but then you kinda dismiss steelbooks and talk about how you yourself will be affected by the closures. saying you will have to go elsewhere for your movies.
there are far more places that stock movies in general than do exclusive steelbooks. or do you disagree.
i can and will continue to get steels from amazon.de, ebay, forums, anywhere i can. but what i will not be able to get, is play.com exclusives. and hmv exclusives. those i cant get from anywhere else.
which is kinda my point.

@funkydamo - I can fully appreciate the angle you're coming from. It is very depressing to live in a Country that feels like it's going to the dogs in more ways than one. Whether the economy is or isn't directly affecting you. It's like looking out the window and seeing nothing but grey. One of the reasons I left the UK for Australia was for opportunity. I could see less and less opportunity available in the UK, and more misery based on job losses and the quality of the jobs available. That is why it's overrun with "chavs" because there's nowhere for kids to go or little to aim for.

I appreciate how a hobby can somewhat ease the stress of day to life and the things going on around you too. I feel the same with regards to my hobbies and interests. Hell, that's why we have them - to help us enjoy life that little bit more than we would without them.

Now back to the topic...Tesco. Wonder how long til supermarket chains are phasing out hard copy Entertainment.