USA
Release date: July 20th, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £20.99
Note: Limited to 1000 copies

11139399-8104304142761526.jpg

11139399-1774304142773337.jpg 11139399-2524304142768594.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder why its only 1000? That implies a shared print run. Yet its StudioCanal. Do they really share with other countries? I was under the impression they were a smaller company and most StudioCanal releases seemed to be limited to Zavvi (of course they do release in other countries too)

Do you mean Studio Canal are small? They are actually massive - their film Library is now the third largest in the World - behind Warner and MGM if memory serves - and not far short or either by now, I should think.

Wonder why its only 1000? That implies a shared print run. Yet its StudioCanal. Do they really share with other countries? I was under the impression they were a smaller company and most StudioCanal releases seemed to be limited to Zavvi (of course they do release in other countries too)
I remember reading somewhere that you can get 1,000 print runs but have to sign up to 4of them.

Sending mine back - the image on Zavvi implies its got a cool box design and a little bit different... Nope. Its a standard steelbook design

11139399-8104304142761526.jpg
It says on the listing Steelbook and that is just a mock up. I'm not sure why you thought it would be a different kind of packaging, a lot of the mock ups are rough designs.

Do you mean Studio Canal are small? They are actually massive - their film Library is now the third largest in the World - behind Warner and MGM if memory serves - and not far short or either by now, I should think.

I just meant StudioCanal is region specific. Companies like Warner Brothers or Universal tend to release globally, where as StudioCanal seems specific to Europe (and probably some other countries). But even within Europe, I'm not sure there's much coordination. I don't know enough specific examples, but it seems France always does their own thing. So even though StudioCanal releases in the UK and France, the actual releases often seem different. I mentioned this specific to the Gunman, since it only had a 1000 print run. That implies its sharing it with some other country. But given the fact StudioCanal only releases in some countries and doesn't always coordinate releases in those countries, I am not sure what the other country(ies) would be.

Compare that too Run All Night, which got minimal releases in Korea and the Czech Republic (among others). It's certain that it'll be released in some other countries too.

Reactions: JackRegan
I just meant StudioCanal is region specific. Companies like Warner Brothers or Universal tend to release globally, where as StudioCanal seems specific to Europe (and probably some other countries). But even within Europe, I'm not sure there's much coordination. I don't know enough specific examples, but it seems France always does their own thing. So even though StudioCanal releases in the UK and France, the actual releases often seem different. I mentioned this specific to the Gunman, since it only had a 1000 print run. That implies its sharing it with some other country. But given the fact StudioCanal only releases in some countries and doesn't always coordinate releases in those countries, I am not sure what the other country(ies) would be.

Compare that too Run All Night, which got minimal releases in Korea and the Czech Republic (among others). It's certain that it'll be released in some other countries too.

Studio Canal is a big international company but in respect of home video, it chooses to directly distribute its own product only in the UK, France and Germany. In all other territories, the titles are licensed for distribution to other companies, principally Lionsgate and Universal.

Studio Canal's Steelbook releases tend to differ, even when the same artwork is used, due to differences in language in the three countries (UK, France, Germany). However, there are instances where the Steelbooks have been identical, most infamously the recent release of T2 in both the UK and Germany, where the print run has clearly been shared.

"The Gunman" is also being released as a Steelbook by Studio Canal in Germany. The published artwork appears identical to the UK one, so this seems to be another case of a shared print run.

"Run All Night" is a Warner title and, in addition to the countries you have mentioned, it is also getting a Steelbook release in France.

Didn't think you could have missed the rise and rise of what was, not so long ago, a small upstart tv production company.
Speaking of Warner, I think they have a deal to distribute at least some of SC's products beyond Europe - haven't looked it up but it rings a bell.
France have always done their own thing in all things. It's one of the things that makes France great and irritating, often in equal measure - but ti seems ot work for them . . .

Gunman's print run was actually shared with Amazon.de, and I suspect there wil be another partner popping up soon on this one.

Seems to be a regular occurrence now for latest releases by Studio Canal to have a matte finish. I think because as consumers, the studio believes we need an incentive to upgrade our Amarays to Steelbook.

It says on the listing Steelbook and that is just a mock up. I'm not sure why you thought it would be a different kind of packaging, a lot of the mock ups are rough designs.

Yes, they often provide mock-ups and "Final Artwork TBC" etc, but look at the shape.

Its implied that the shape of the steelbook is not going to be the normal rectangular 'norm'.

It looked like it was going to be unique.

So I ordered.

And it wasnt.

Watched this last night. Went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The surround sound on this ROCKS.

Anyone have any problems watching this in a Region Free player?? I'm using an Oppo 103 and I can see the Previews but up until it gives info on Dolby Atmos it just fades to black and then Nada.

Already tried it multiple times no go:(

Anyone have any problems watching this in a Region Free player?? I'm using an Oppo 103 and I can see the Previews but up until it gives info on Dolby Atmos it just fades to black and then Nada.

Already tried it multiple times no go:(
Dude, All you have to do is turn off the BD Live and Delete the storage memory.