lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: September 25, 2023
Purchase links: Eureka Video - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £36.99 (Eureka) - £37.71 (Amazon)
Notes: 2 x 4K UHD discs - Limited edition of 3,000 copies.

ToE4k.PNG

Touch of Evil begins with one of the most brilliant sequences in the history of cinema; and ends with one of the most brilliant final scenes ever committed to celluloid. In between unfurls a picture whose moral, sexual, racial, and aesthetic attitudes remain so radical as to cross borders established not only in 1958, but in the present age also.

Charlton Heston portrays Mike Vargas, the Mexican chief of narcotics who sets out to uncover the facts surrounding a car bomb that has killed a wealthy American businessman on the US side of the border. As Vargas investigates, his newly-wed wife Susie (Janet Leigh, two years before Hitchcock’s Psycho) is kidnapped by a gang out to exact vengeance for the prosecution of the brother of their leader (Akim Tamiroff). Meanwhile, Vargas’ enquiries become progressively more obfuscated by the American cop Hank Quinlan (played by Welles himself, in one of the most imposing and unforgettable screen performances of his career), a besotted incarnation of corruption who alternately conspires with Susie’s captors and seeks solace in the brothel of the Gypsy madame (Marlene Dietrich) who comforted him in bygone times.

Welles’ final studio-system picture has at last become secure in its status as one of the greatest films ever made. It remains a testament to the genius of Welles –– a film of Shakespearean richness, inexhaustible. The Masters of Cinema Series is extremely proud to present Touch of Evil in its UK debut on Ultra HD Blu-ray.

SPECIAL FEATURES:​

• Limited Edition Box Set - 3000 Copies
  • Limited Edition hardcase featuring artwork by Tony Stella
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of all three versions, presented in Dolby Vision HDR: the Theatrical version (95 mins), the Preview version (109 mins), and the 1998 Reconstruction (110 mins), across 2 UHD Discs.
  • A LIMITED EDITION 100-PAGE BOOK featuring writings by Orson Welles, François Truffaut, André Bazin, and Terry Comito; interview excerpts with Welles; a timeline of the film’s history; two new essays by critic Richard Combs; and rare stills and imagery
  • Four audio commentaries, featuring: restoration producer Rick Schmidlin (reconstructed version); actors Charlton Heston & Janet Leigh, with Schmidlin (reconstructed version); critic F. X. Feeney (theatrical version); and Welles scholars James Naremore & Jonathan Rosenbaum (preview version)
  • New video interview with critic, broadcaster and cultural historian Matthew Sweet
  • New video interview with critic Tim Robey
  • New video interview with author and critic Kim Newman
  • Bringing Evil to Life + Evil Lost and Found – two video pieces, featuring interviews with cast and crew, as well as critics and admirers
  • New video essay on the different versions of the film
  • Original theatrical trailer

Reactions: C.C. 95
I would guess- pretty damn good.
the orange steelbook? I have that too. :D

Yep, that's the one. :) It's always a gamble whether a steelbook will fit in a slip that was designed for amaray. There's usually a way, though sometimes it means removing some of the extra material.

Has anyone received this edition yet? Curious about slip finish, extras, and if the steelbook fits in the slip.

I'd the booklet content the same booklet content from the Blu-ray Steelbook?
I'd say 75% the same written material. There are new pieces in the new one. The one from the Steelbook is more of a booklet, whereas the one from the special edition is more of a book. You don't really have to make a decision between the two -because the booklet resides inside the steelbook which will sit right next to the new book Inside.
IMG_5184.png

IMG_5185.png
IMG_5186.png
IMG_5187.png
IMG_5188.jpeg

SPECIAL EDITION BOOK

IMG_5189.jpeg

STEELBOOK BOOKLET

IMG_5190.png

ordered this from eureka last sunday.. no order confirmation + no shipping info.. CS told me it was sent on Monday, so i thought ok whatever

package arrived today and the shipping box was already suspiciously thin, so i worried they only sent me the amaray version... but nope, they sent me an entirely different movie lol.. this has been one lousy experience so far..

7F5BA5B7-A39A-4BD0-B7F3-1920BCC4ED1C.jpeg

96CDF975-FCDC-4333-9B37-FDE832ECAB31.jpeg

Last edited:
ordered this from eureka last sunday.. no order confirmation + no shipping info.. CS told me it was sent on Monday, so i thought ok whatever

package arrived today and the shipping box was already suspiciously thin, so i worried they only sent me the amaray version... but nope, they sent me an entirely different movie lol.. this has been one lousy experience so far..

View attachment 567693

View attachment 567692
Easy mistake to make. Different genre, different name, different language, different era, different company, ones mono, ones colour but apart from that it's perfect.

alright, they sent me a replacement and let me keep beach of the.. beach war of?? uhm, whatever they sent me.. i think return costs to uk are higher than the item price anyways lol

• Haha
Reactions: C.C. 95