Upcoming Ozzy Osbourne autobiography 'I Am Ozzy'

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Upcoming Ozzy Osbourne autobiography 'I Am Ozzy' delves into sex, drugs and Satanism.

alg_ozzy_osbourne.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne's upcoming autobiography is much like the long-time rocker's life: just a little bit rough around the edges.

"What you read here is what dribbled out of the jelly I call my brain when I asked it for my life story," he admits in "I Am Ozzy," out Jan. 25 from Grand Central Publishing.

Luckily, he does remember just enough about sex, drugs and Satanism to keep things entertaining.

He credits famed serial killer Charles Manson with helping Black Sabbath get its record contract.

"The Manson murders were all over the telly, so anything with a dark edge was in big demand," he writes.

Oz even says he and Manson might have become buds had the Tate murders not gotten in the way: "Before he turned psycho, Manson had been a big part of the L.A. music scene. If he hadn't gone to jail, we probably would have ended up hanging out with him."

Ozzy could have used the company. Apparently, he and his bandmates didn't get much one-on-one time with the female set - at least in their early days. The singer recalls the very first time they played their song titled "Black Sabbath": "All the girls ran out of the venue screaming. Isn't the whole point of being in a band to get a shag, not to make chicks run away?"

His trouble with the femmes didn't stop there. Cover your ears, Sharon: Ozzy admits that he never got any lookers.

"I never got good-looking chicks," he says. "We'd get beer bottles thrown at us, not frilly underwear."

If such statements won't exactly endear him to feminists, the book should have an even more souring effect on animal-rights groups. Not only does the book recount the oft-told stories about Oz biting off the head of a dove (in a record-company meeting that turned dull) and of a bat (hey - he thought it was made of rubber), it also recounts incidents in which Oz destroyed a bunch of stray cats and took a shotgun to a coop's worth of chickens.

Had enough? Ozzy won't mind - the rocker insists that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his tome.

"One of the few good things about being dyslexic," he says, "is that when I say, 'I don't read reviews, I mean I DON'T READ REVIEWS!"