Wal Mart/Vudu/UV Disc to Digital

mgoode20061

Premium Supporter
Jan 28, 2012
Long Beach, CA USA
index.jpg

Anyone else excited about this. I'm not a Walmart fan but I love digital copies and this seems rather cheap and less time consuming than ripping and converting all my blu rays. Plus, from the list of available movies there's a couple I have on DVD that aren't available on Blu Ray here yet (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Talented Mr. Ripley) than I can upgrade to HD copies available on Vudu through my PS3. I just wish they would put a list of locations it will be available at.

Another feature to be excited about is that on Monday VUDU will link up Ultraviolet, so I can now watch my UV copies that I bought/got codes from friends on my TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite excited... My dream (that studios would give UV copies to anyone with a legit 'old' Digital Copy code) will never come true, so this is a step in the right direction! I just wish they'd cut out the middle man (Walmart) and allow us to go straight to the studio/UV for our copies.

My excitement came crashing down today after actually trying to use this program. First (closest) Walmart looked at me like I was crazy when I brought my list and DVDs there and had no clue what to do. I called 2 other walmarts to keep from wasting my time any further. Farthest walmart said he "thinks" they do it and the closer one was impossible to actually get through to the photo department. This could be a great program, but they don't actually state on line if all warmarts are participating (apparently not) or how to find a participating walmart. The Vudu site just takes you to the walmart locator which would imply they all are participating.

Edit: I got a hold of someone at the 2nd store. She said they are still training people on the process. She said she'll try to figure it out if I come in. Seems like that should have been taken care of before launching a program nationwide. Apparently it is all walmarts doing it.

Last edited:
...Plus, from the list of available movies there's a couple I have on DVD that aren't available on Blu Ray here yet (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Talented Mr. Ripley) than I can upgrade to HD copies available on Vudu through my PS3.

I'm confused...it's impossible to "upgrade" a SD file to an HD file. You can make clones and you can down-rez, but not the reverse. you can't add lines of resolution to a file that never existed.

???

I'm confused...it's impossible to "upgrade" a SD file to an HD file. You can make clones and you can down-rez, but not the reverse. you can't add lines of resolution to a file that never existed.

???

Vudu doesn't do anything. The studio provides them with copies. Some are available in HD from studios who haven't yet released the film on Blu Ray here in the United States. They release them to cable companies for their hd channels and to online companies like Itunes and Vudu. The upgrade is just taking a DVD in and paying extra for the HD copy instead of the SD copy you would normally get if you paid $2.

Here are some classics that have HD not available on Blu-ray yet:

#
3 Godfathers (The)

A
A Big Hand For The Little Lady
A Man and a Woman
A Man for All Seasons
A Place in Sun
After Hours
All About Eve
Alfie (1966)
Americanization of Emily, The
Anna Karenina (Garbo)
Atlantic City

B
Baby Doll
Back To Peyton Place
Barefoot in The Park
Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, The
Blood Alley

C
Captain Blood
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Catch-22
China Seas

D
Dark Passage
Dark Victory
Death Wish
Destination Tokyo

E
East of Eden

F
Frenzy
From Here to Eternity

G
Gallipoli
Gentlemen's Agreement
Giant
Gone With the Wind
Great Ziegfeld, The
Gunfighter, The
Gunga Din

H
Heaven Can Wait (1978)
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Hombre
Horror of Dracula*
How Green Was My Valley
(The) Hustler

I
Inn of Sixth Happiness, The

K
Klute

L
Laura
Little Caesar
Longest Yard, The
Lust for Life

M
Man Who Knew Too Much, The
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
Marnie
McCabe & Mrs.Miller
Mildred Pierce

N
Niagara

O
Odd Couple, The
Out of the Past

P
Paper Moon
Parallax View, The
Paris When It Sizzles
Peyton Place
Philadelphia Story, The
Play it Again, Sam
Point Blank
Postman Always Rings Twice, The (1946)
Pretty Poison
Public Enemy, The

R
Rear Window
Rebel Without a Cause
Ride the High Country

S
Shadow of a Doubt
Shall We Dance
Shootist, The
Sons of Katie Elder, The
Summer of '42

T
To Have and Have Not

V
Valley of Gwangi, The
Vertigo

W
Wait Until Dark
White Heat
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Witness
Wizard of Oz (The)

Y
Year of Living Dangerously, The

I wish someone could keep a definitive list of available HDX upgrades not available on blu. I just found out about this. I took in

Ghost & The Darkness
Necessary Roughness
Chaos Theory

They are all in HD now on the PS3. I now have to create a wishlist. I'm hoping they keep adding titles. They have a promo going on now where you get 5 free movies with disc to digital.