What's The Difference Between SteelBook, IronPack & MetalPak/Futurepak?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
As many people have come across this craze of a hobby collecting blu-ray steelbooks they have also noticed the talk of "Star Metal Paks" and "Iron Packs". Ultimately, all are made of a metal and some are made and packaged better than others.

SteelBook is by popularity the most saught after, best packaged, and best made.

Iron Pack (in my humble opinion) seems to be close but still a bit behind in the quality department.

Star Metal Paks are fine on the outside but the hinges and cut spine for the hinges are just attrocious and cheapy made. (IMO)

Never the less, they are all still better than a cheap amaray (regular blu-ray case) and if you are a collector of movies and your favorite movie gets a metal version of any kind (like the tins, Band of Brothers) then you will probably rush after it! :)

Below is a picture of the differences, but ultimately the choice is up to you as far as what you like and will buy. Canadians and Germans are starting to get Iron Packs so it may be more feasible for you to make your own judgement in person but ofcourse we are strong supporters of the SteelBook brand.

attachment.php

Pics taken from http://bluraysteelbooks.com/steelbook-resources/

Attachments

• spinedifferencs.jpg
    spinedifferencs.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7,604
Last edited:
i prefer Ironpack; it is the new generation..................Avatar is using Ironpack in Asia. everyone here in Asia is exicting to have one on hand on April 22!!! European & American Ironpack fans should ask your friend to buy one for you..............

Update: I got my Warlords IronPack and there are WAY too many scratches and a couple dings on it. It was packed well too. These things just seem to scratch and ding alot easier than a SteelBook which seems more durable. I doubt I'll be buying any IronPacks ever in the future unless it was some uber favorite movie that didnt get a steelbook release.

I don't think I'm gonna make myself very popular with my opinion on Iron Packs, but here it is anyway ;)

I strongly feel that although IP has indeed improved their quality over the last few releases, they are simply "too close" to SteelBook's Design. They've been barred in Europe for this reason. I atleast respect Star with their Metal Pak in the sense that they atleast attempted to compete with Scanavo with a different type of metal packaging, whereas BDMO has simply "copied" Scanovo's Design to 99%. There is absolutely NO individuality in the IP Product! I'm actually surprised that IPs are allowed in the US, but I guess the US Courts have no interest in Patent Disputes between a Chinese Company and a European Company. I promise you that if Scanovo were a US Company IP would definately be blacklisted.

It is only natural that Asians prefer IP, as they are dirt cheap to produce as are all other Chinese Products. Europeans will prefer SBs as they are produced here. I think that if Scanovo were to upgrade their Production Lines in the US, making it much cheaper to get Steelbooks compared to purchasing from Europe that things would go differently.

I simply can't respect a company that copies designs and produce them cheaper. Scanavo revolutionized the DVD/BD Industry and they deserve respect.

My humble opinion, but I'm firm on it :scat:

Of course, I perfectly respect the rights of others that choose to go with IPs.

I have a dislike for IronPacks because when I was in store trying to buy a Beauty and the Beast IronPack all the spines had little scratches on them around the corners and I couldn't find a good one.
I still will buy all the Disney IronPacks but would of liked Steelbooks since they seem sturdy and don't scratch as easily, plus I like the plastic spine.

From my experience, it seems that IronPacks are more suspectible to scratches, dents, etc. I don't know if it's because of the construction or material but I tend to find that I have to be more picky when I go into a store and find a mint IronPack.

Does anyone have links to websites of the companies who make IronPacks and Metal Packs? I'm curious to find out more about them

FWIW I think Scanavo has a great website that explains their story very well. Definitely good reasons to support them. :)

Does anyone have links to websites of the companies who make IronPacks and Metal Packs? I'm curious to find out more about them

FWIW I think Scanavo has a great website that explains their story very well. Definitely good reasons to support them. :)

BTW Scanavo is the Sales & Marketing firm. The people that ACTUALLY make steelbook are Glud & Marstrand.

Last edited:
I thought those Lion Kings that are all over the place were the new Metal Packaging.

They are - it's the Metal Box from Viva - I'm thinking that Horhay is probably imagining what X-Men @ Future Shop looks like (though it should be the same as the Disney ones).