Who thinks that Steelbooks peaked in 2012

creasey275

BANNED
Sep 20, 2012
*DISCLAIMER* This is not a provocation, nor a troll response driven thread

Who thinks that steelbook collecting peaked in 2012?

With the amount of releases and Exclusives that arent actually exclusive, with the fact that the majority of "collectable and rare" steelbooks were released in previous years, I feel steelbook collecting reached a peak around the time of the PLAY.com Iron-Man steelbook. Other exclusive limited quantity steelbooks have been released since that havent set the world alight, gauging by reaction of the forums here, example Battle Royale and Oldboy.

Opinions please.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Man is a special case.

If you saw some other popular title with a limited run, that people just love to own some of these big titles in limited runs - I almost guarantee it would generate as much buzz.

I think it says a lot about less popular movies - like Oldboy and Battle Royale that they sold so quickly - unlike other catalog releases like The Incredible Hulk or Bourne Wave that never even got close to selling out and now have been passed on to other retailers to move.

I think that steelbooks are becoming more mainstream so in turn a lot more are being released. That leads people to make tougher decisions on what they want to pick up now there is so much choice. There are still plenty of rare steelbooks that are still being released now, I think the majority of steelbooks only become rare and collectible over time so down the line some of the more recent releases may end up being rare, only time will tell.

I'd agree, I've found myself much more drawn to digibooks this year - you get far more content for your £, but then, just to contradict myself, steelbooks generally have better covers :)

While 2012 was a great year (so glad I jumped on the bandwagon), there is still so much potential for great movies which have yet to be manfactured as Steelbooks.

One of my concerns for the year ahead is that Play was at the forefront in producing quality Steels so I will be interested to see the impact of recent business decisions affecting their retail business.

Here in North America, Futureshop and Best Buy have sold some good Steels but they could do so much more in partnership with some of the movie companies if the will was there, and yes it would be profitable. Quite frankly, I don't care if it is FS, BB or Amazon.com/ca as long as someone is taking the lead.

Where there is a will there is a way. There are other solid retailers all over the world, that Steelbooks will likely go on. Both the markers of Steelbook and studios continue to recognize the collector community as an asset. A reshift of how they become available may occur, but not an elimination of Steelbooks.

:::: Digitalbabe ::::

Staff: Community Manager
Hidefninja.com

From LV-426 on iPhone

Reactions: Jason Bourne