Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Untitled Alien Project

Genre: Science Fiction, Horror

Director: Fede Álvarez

Plot: A standalone story in the Alien universe, unconnected to the previous films.

If we're gonna talk about accents, I think they should be completely new or strange sounding, because these people presumably grew up somewhere else, not on Earth, in new mixed communities or colonies. Something that was done better in The Expanse, I think. A South African accent sounds different and unusual enough for most, if it has to be something from Earth, and fits well in many sci-fi movies. Maybe because it is derived from precisely such a mixed racial and cultural environment.

To be honest I'm quite happy to hear a regional accent instead of the usual theatre trained, cut glass "Queens English".

The actor is from Kingston Upon Thames (London) and I think different regional accents can give a certain authentic feel to a lived in world - Brian Glover's Yorkshire accent in Alien 3 for instance, or Bill Paxton's Texan twang in Aliens.

Just me, but I think it enriches the diversity and adds a little characterisation.
By any sensible measure you’re right, of course, but for me personally, in certain genres of film, it can work the other way and pull me right out of the moment.

Brian Glover in ‘An American Werewolf in London’? Fits like a glove.

Brian Glover in space? Did he mistakenly believe he was boarding the Number 6 bus to the Bingo?

Regardless, we all know that an all-British crew being stalked by a Xenomorph would be picked off easily, while carousing around corridors mid-session after necking the Nostromo’s entire stash of ‘Knob Creek’ in one night.

British accents? Like John Hurt and Ian Holm from that 1979 movie, the name of which escapes me..... It was filmed in England, with a British crew, had a British director too. What was it again? :coffee:
Arlene, or something sounding like that :rofl:

If we're gonna talk about accents, I think they should be completely new or strange sounding, because these people presumably grew up somewhere else, not on Earth, in new mixed communities or colonies. Something that was done better in The Expanse, I think. A South African accent sounds different and unusual enough for most, if it has to be something from Earth, and fits well in many sci-fi movies. Maybe because it is derived from precisely such a mixed racial and cultural environment.
Och mah, whit urr ye suggesting?
(populated by Glaswegians)