Alternatives to "holy grail" steelbooks

jcm

Premium Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
I consider myself a selective but avid steelbook collector. I was wondering if other collectors feel the "holy grail" steelbooks are worth the $100+ prices are worth the purchase.

Ex. I like the JJ Abrams Star Trek, but to me I don't think a steelbook is worth the price it is currently going for because I collect with no intention of selling. I collect steelbooks VMBs etc because I prefer metal over plastic amarays and digibooks. I bought the DVD steelbook of Star Trek and put my Blu Ray in it since it has the same artwork. To me steelbooks are just movies with premium packaging.

So I guess what I am asking is whether "holy grail" releases like Iron Man Future Shop are really worth it or is the Play or other releases are comparable for your collection?

This thread is not to argue but share opinions so, thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they copied play.com to the tee as to how to establish oneself in the steelbook market. It just happenned that when play released star trek and IM, there were no releases of those titles in the UK. Play having released most of the titles, IMO Zavvi had no choice but to re release important titles to establish and distinguish istelf in what is now a crowded UK market.

Distinguish itself are you serious? Copying the same art work is the complete opposite of distinguishing your company. They can make another Star Trek steelbook if they want but don't do it with such laziness it's sickening.

Also, I don't care if play.com went bankrupt they still should be able to do something about keeping their exclusives.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but IMO plays IM was similar to FS IM. They are distinguishable but in terms of design, it was a direct rip of IM FS. I do believe studios have a say in the design of steels and don't think they would stray far from what has been proven to work. With regards to exclusivity, these may last for a period. I do recall Harry Potter ultimate edition as a target exclusive for a while. Now its available at BB and amazon. How can the studios maintain this exclusive if play is no longer in business? Patents yes but not movies/steels.

I may be wrong but IMO plays IM was similar to FS IM. They are distinguishable but in terms of design, it was a direct rip of IM FS. I do believe studios have a say in the design of steels and don't think they would stray far from what has been proven to work. With regards to exclusivity, these may last for a period. I do recall Harry Potter ultimate edition as a target exclusive for a while. Now its available at BB and amazon. How can the studios maintain this exclusive if play is no longer in business? Patents yes but not movies/steels.

I think IM FS is no where near the same as the play.com one so that release is fine with me. I have no clue what a steelbook contract looks like but I think the contract for an exclusive steelbook should state that the art work can never be replicated on another steelbook in the country or worldwide.

I take back what I said about Zavvi with the newly announced third UK Star Trek release that they are doing with original art work. I still think this is way too much over saturation for one title.