Hi-Def Audio Anyone own any SACD's?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I'm probably going to buy a slim soon, but still gonna get the 60gb fixed by Sony since I noticed it has a SACD player and no other model does except I think the original 20gb.

I'm interested in buying some SACDs.

I have the following on SACD:

This Side - Nickel Creek
A Charlie Brown Christmas Soundtrack
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
Thriller - Michael Jackson
The Greatest Songs of the Fifties
Eine kleine Nachtmusik k.525 - W.A. Mozart
Serenade in D, k.250 "Haffner" - W.A. Mozart
March in D, K.249

I also have Mozart's Requiem on DVD-Audio.

Hear the difference? Worth the upgrade? I understand that the proper gear is required (speakers) to hear the difference and that I have.

Hear the difference? Worth the upgrade? I understand that the proper gear is required (speakers) to hear the difference and that I have.

I definitely hear the difference and now I have trouble listening to regular CDs without hearing impurities within the recording...I think it is worth the upgrade if your a fan of listening to music. I have heard some Duke Ellington SACDs and they sound quite amazing...like the band is in the room with you. There is enhanced depth, clarity, and richness to the sound of SACDs and it truly lets the music envelop you completely. If you have the proper equipment I say go for it. Start browsing Amazon and AcousticSounds and find some SACDs that you'll enjoy.:D

I have Metallica's "black" album and Megadeth's "Peace Sells" on DVD-audio. Both are completely awesome to listen to but I've only listened to them once or twice. I love listening to music but I guess I'm just not that picky.

I have Metallica's "black" album and Megadeth's "Peace Sells" on DVD-audio. Both are completely awesome to listen to but I've only listened to them once or twice. I love listening to music but I guess I'm just not that picky.

Cool, I´ll have to find those 2, awesome albums. If you have th eproper equipment I´d say go for it, there is quite a difference.

Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary Edition
Mark Knopfler: Shangri-la
NIN: The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition
Depeche Mode: Playing The Angel
Pink Floyd: Darkside Of The Moon 30th Anniversary Edition
Groove Armada: Vertigo

Yes and Yes. Speakers, Reciever and a SACD player capable of pure DSD digital output via Ilink or HDMI 1.2a... otherwise it'll play the converted down version (PCM, Not High resolution) just like the PS3 did

Last edited:
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary Edition
Mark Knopfler: Shangri-la
NIN: The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition
Depeche Mode: Playing The Angel
Groove Armada: Vertigo

Yes and Yes. Speakers, Reciever and a SACD player capable of pure DSD digital output via Ilink or HDMI 1.2a... otherwise it'll play the converted down version (PCM, Not High resolution) just like the PS3 did

OoooooooOooOoooo, so you mean the 60 gb ps3 SACD player is no good?

OoooooooOooOoooo, so you mean the 60 gb ps3 SACD player is no good?

It's actually ok... don't get me wrong.

Once you listen to SACD in it's native DSD format you'll notice the difference
Leaves you wide eyed and instantly impressed with the sound qualilty.
It's like playing games on HD. Once you "go there" you ain't going back to SD.

A friend of mine got me some poisons on SACD.

I didn't know there are so much details on that disc.
Any good and cheap alternative to getting a SACD player ?

I wanna get Celine Dion's A New Day Has Come SACD so bad. While my 80GB Ps3 lasts, only then will I be able to truly experience it.

Have:
Dire straits: Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary Edition
Peter Gabriel: UP

Some people say Dark side of the moon and Peter gabriel's UP is the best SACD's if you want max-out of your SACD system.

I Recommend SACD IF you have a good 5.1 system!

Last edited:
I only have the one, which can be found in the TrondheimSolistene Divertimenti - blu-ray pack. It has very good quality, but I prefer the DTS - HD MA track on the blu-ray. In direct comparsion, the audio on the blu-ray is much more dynamic, and the track has more depth on my system.
It would be good to own the Alison Krauss "Live" SACD till an AKUS blu-ray will (hopefully) be released, but it has very limited availability, and its price is simply horrendous:(

I've been hunting for that SACD "Allison Krauss Union Station" for a long time and the price is way too much. Hopefully the Blu-ray version would be release too.

Any where I can find online retailer for SACD ? Looking for Sarah Brightman SACD and a few others like Billy Joel's Stranger. :D

I only have the one, which can be found in the TrondheimSolistene Divertimenti - blu-ray pack. It has very good quality, but I prefer the DTS - HD MA track on the blu-ray. In direct comparsion, the audio on the blu-ray is much more dynamic, and the track has more depth on my system.
It would be good to own the Alison Krauss "Live" SACD till an AKUS blu-ray will (hopefully) be released, but it has very limited availability, and its price is simply horrendous:(

There's a greater range of music on SACD than I'd realised and I would have loved to experience some of the multichannel mixes. But with many titles discontinued and selling at £50+ I'm unlikely to buy any.