apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Does this interest you? Would you get a steelbook or rare slip cover graded?

The more the merrier! CGC Home Video™ is thrilled to announce the expansion of its expert authentication, grading and encapsulation services to include DVDs, Blu-rays and other digital home videos.

“Collectors have been eagerly waiting for CGC Home Video to begin accepting DVDs and Blu-rays for certification,” said Paul Zamarelli, CGC Home Video Senior Finalizer. “We’re very excited to begin offering these services, and we can’t wait to see what collectors submit to us!”

CGC Home Video is all set to start grading your CD-video discs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs! Here’s what will be graded at launch:

CD-Video/CD-i/VCD/DIVX:​

Single Jewel Cases
Single Jewel Cases with Slipcover
Double Jewel Cases

DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray/4K:​

Slipcases (single)
Most Clamshells
Drawer Boxes
Book Boxes
Box only
Standard Keepcases
Standard Keepcases with Slipcovers
Steelbooks
Steelbooks with Slipcovers
DVD Snapper Cases
Jewel Cases

Source:

• Haha
Reactions: leelee17 and laz305
By the way, I know what grading is (incase my stupidity earlier tricked anyone) and once comics and collectors cards were mentioned it clicked. But reading it in the context of Steelbooks and other cases threw me. Kind of read it wrong and the word seemed alien to me!

An example, was in a shop with a mate years ago and there was a bottle of Robinson drink advertising Wimbledon. The way it was spelt curved around the bottle proper messed with my eyes and I was going to my mate “what’s a bledon? How can you win a bledon? What even is it?”

Until he pointed out it was Wimbledon! And then became a windup joke in work. Such a f**king idiot sometimes

Only some of the time?

:naughty:

It's extremely rare if not nigh on impossible to get a completely 'mint' steelbook. If you look hard enough you'll spot an imperfection somewhere even if it is the most minor of scuffs or marks

• Helpful Post
Reactions: a_o
I still don’t understand it. How is this a business? Sounds so stupid and a waste of time and money
I know you realized this later already, but it's like for sports cards and stuff.
It is kinda stupid, because it costs like $50 I think, so you're automatically either wasting money, or adding that to the item's cost for resale.
I don't buy stuff to resell, this is for scalpers and idiots (or very rich people that don't care) that pay them. And anally picky ones that look around all corners of any edition they get with a magnifying glass

Such a f**king idiot sometimes
For someone whose dad is a printer, and mom a Toaster, you're doing pretty well. Only I suspect your Printer dad might've had a fling with a virtual AI girl, and PaulBoland is your half-bro...

Reactions: Flloydo
I think its more for the extreme collectible items. For exemple, you have this for pokemon cards. They give it a rating and put it in a sealed case. Easy for the market or auction. But those cards can go up in insane value thousands/tenthousands, hell even beyond that. Nowhere near what steelbooks or premium editions can go for. So its definitely not worth the effort, time, and money:rofl:

By the way, I know what grading is (incase my stupidity earlier tricked anyone) and once comics and collectors cards were mentioned it clicked. But reading it in the context of Steelbooks and other cases threw me. Kind of read it wrong and the word seemed alien to me!

An example, was in a shop with a mate years ago and there was a bottle of Robinson drink advertising Wimbledon. The way it was spelt curved around the bottle proper messed with my eyes and I was going to my mate “what’s a bledon? How can you win a bledon? What even is it?”

Until he pointed out it was Wimbledon! And then became a windup joke in work. Such a f**king idiot sometimes
"sometimes"

Austin Powers Laser GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Lenny Nero
I get it for vintage comics, TCGs, coins etc, but this seems like nonsense that will just draw more speculators to steelbook scalping and encourage market manipulation.

The sealed video game market has just imploded because of fixed auctions, can't see this being any different.

I'm looking forward to CM selling 9.6 rated copies of their own releases though.

I get it for vintage comics, TCGs, coins etc, but this seems like nonsense that will just draw more speculators to steelbook scalping and encourage market manipulation.

The sealed video game market has just imploded because of fixed auctions, can't see this being any different.

I'm looking forward to CM selling 9.6 rated copies of their own releases though.
CM. I'd imagine they would as well.

I can’t see doing this now, but if you go far enough into the future, it might be worth it if you’re selling some rare and in demand steel or one click.
I think I saw some say they’d open your sealed steel to open them, but they show images of sealed steels on their page.
My guess is this only makes sense for things that are worth at least a grand, if not more.

lol what a joke. They have to open the sealed steelbook to clarify if it's in mint condition.
You cannot declare a brand new copy being mint and in perfect condition without opening it.
Well, before you buy one of my new ones, I will just open it before l ship it to you. Much less expensive doing it that way.

Nintendo NES videogames that are new and sealed inside their shrink-wrapped boxes are graded that way without them ever opening them and are listed for sale for thousands of dollars on eBay and other sites. I believe all they are grading is the rarity of the title and the condition of the shrink-wrap and box, never opening it and inspecting the cartridge.

How does anybody know for sure that the game inside isn't broken?

Wouldn't that be the same case with new and sealed SteelBooks inside the shrink-wrap? Or still new and sealed inside their slips with only the spine of the SteelBook visible? Wouldn't they just be grading what is visible through the shrink-wrap as well as the shrink-wrap and J-card? Not the back of the actual SteelBook or the discs inside or any part of the slipcases that are hidden by J-cards?

I think a person would be foolish to pay a company to grade anything SteelBook related. I also think a person would be foolish to pay extra to purchase anything SteelBook related because it has been graded.

Just my opinion.

I know you realized this later already, but it's like for sports cards and stuff.
Yeah like I said it all clicked after I looked at the word grading differently lol and it makes so much more sense with the whole sports/ pokemon cards etc.
It is kinda stupid, because it costs like $50 I think, so you're automatically either wasting money, or adding that to the item's cost for resale.
I don't buy stuff to resell, this is for scalpers and idiots (or very rich people that don't care) that pay them. And anally picky ones that look around all corners of any edition they get with a magnifying glass

For someone whose dad is a printer, and mom a Toaster, you're doing pretty well. Only I suspect your Printer dad might've had a fling with a virtual AI girl, and PaulBoland is your half-bro...
My dad has a much better life as a 3D printer now if you get what I mean

lol what a joke. They have to open the sealed steelbook to clarify if it's in mint condition.
You cannot declare a brand new copy being mint and in perfect condition without opening it.
Well, before you buy one of my new ones, I will just open it before l ship it to you. Much less expensive doing it that way.
Where are you getting that htey open them? They clearly show sealed steelbooks that are rated 9.x. I think the Elf was rated a 9.9/sealed and clearly had shrinkwrap and stickers still on the steel.