Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
Release date: August 5, 2024
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £29.99

71hS+VMlnmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71BAKhIRmpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 71roke8OgPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 61N+vsk1AHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It might support HDR10+ but if your screen doesn't support Dolby Vision specifically it will come out like this, which I think you've been referring too.
This is no fault of HDR/DV, the player should recognize what screen ur using and play it with a normal color scheme.

View attachment 579834
No no no, of course the content is displayed in HDR10 or HDR10+, and I check for the specific icon in menu to activate (it's a Samsung Serif telly).
By 'clown colors' I don't mean the above, like a simulated two-color faulty processing of Aviator. I just mean highly saturated colors on some transfers. The grass is too green, the sky is too blue, that kind of thing... :shy:
If I download files, I choose the ones without HDR. And I'll be buying a player that can disable it on all UHD output. Have a media player like that already.
But it's a good thing. After I bought most everything on DVD in 10 years, and then again, and more, on BD, I at least don't have an urge to do it a third time. It's mostly ruined transfers anyway, by DPs and directors that either signed off on it without looking, or being out of their minds by that time. EEK!

No, it's all supported, at least HDR10+, and I know how to calibrate the screens, been doing it for 25 years, so it's nothing to do with incorrect settings.
I don't like it much on OLED screens either, from what I've seen on my Samsung tablets. The brightness automatically goes up to 100%, that irritates me to no end.
Got an LG OLED sitting brand new in a box, but after war started, I put everything on pause and am in a sort of limbo now for over 2 years, not unpacking it, not assembling 17 new Billy shelving units, not doing anything in the apartment... just still buying discs like an idiot, and putting them in boxes. Ya'll making fun of someone here keeping their stuff in boxes, well I'm doing that for real. 74 large boxes as of now... :facepalm:
With properly implemented HDR, brightness at 100% doesn't mean the whole image is maxed out.
The max brightness is saved for the highlight detail whereas the APL will be close to the standard Blu-Ray in many cases.
There are exceptions though, Starship Troopers being one, where the HDR is way too bright.

With properly implemented HDR, brightness at 100% doesn't mean the whole image is maxed out.
The max brightness is saved for the highlight detail whereas the APL will be close to the standard Blu-Ray in many cases.
There are exceptions though, Starship Troopers being one, where the HDR is way too bright.
Tell it to the backlight of any non-OLED TV. :hilarious: Their brightness just goes up no matter what's on screen, of course depending on the zones of lighting, and 99% of the time there are grey/brown places instead of black, etc, due to that.