March 2023:
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
Magnificent Obsession (1954)

February 2023:
Vivre Sa Vie (1962)
Imitation of Life (1934)

January 2023:
The Breakfast Club (1985)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
Classic movie label the Criterion Collection is to launch on Blu-ray in the U.K. on April 18 following a multi-year home entertainment distribution pact with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Until now Criterion has only been available in the U.S. and Canada.

SPHE will bring selected titles from Criterion’s extensive catalog and future new release slate to the U.K. for the first time. The first wave of films, featuring all the supplements from the U.S. editions along with their exclusive artwork and packaging, are “Grey Gardens,” “It Happened One Night,” Roman Polanski’s “Macbeth,” “Only Angels Have Wings,” “Speedy” and “Tootsie.”

Criterion Collection chief executive officer Jonathan Turell said: “We are excited to launch the Criterion Collection in the U.K. Starting with these six great titles, we are happy to be able to bring selections from Criterion to our very devoted audience in the U.K. We are thrilled to build upon our strong relationship with Sony and look forward to expanding the Criterion audience.”

“Criterion represents the very best of classic and contemporary filmmaking and we are delighted to bring this prestigious collection to the U.K. for the first time,” added Aodan Coburn, executive VP, international, SPHE. “This partnership demonstrates SPHE’s continued commitment to growing our distribution business.”

Source

Last edited:
Neither had I mate, and I had the exact same thought about it looking similar to Monty Python (and also Time Bandits)... then I realised it's directed by Terry Gilliam, so I guess that explains it lol.

I'm interested in checking it out anyway. Will you be picking it up? :)
I might do mate, yeah it definatly has the time bandits feel to it. Terry Gillian's films are all a bit strange! Lol.
I think I will probably wait till it's in a sale before I pick it up. I pretty much do that with all the films though unless it's something I really love!

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I might do mate, yeah it definatly has the time bandits feel to it. Terry Gillian's films are all a bit strange! Lol.
I think I will probably wait till it's in a sale before I pick it up. I pretty much do that with all the films though unless it's something I really love!
Ha yeah, they certainly are! I'm not a big fan of Gilliam to be honest, but I fancy giving that one a go. Same here mate... I'm yet to pick up a Criterion title at full price because they end up going on sale sooner or later anyway. Plus I hate spending too much on blind-buys nowadays.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Ha yeah, they certainly are! I'm not a big fan of Gilliam to be honest, but I fancy giving that one a go. Same here mate... I'm yet to pick up a Criterion title at full price because they end up going on sale sooner or later anyway. Plus I hate spending too much on blind-buys nowadays.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of his myself, some of his stuff is good but others are a bit out there for me. I only just recently watched 12 monkeys after all this time!
I'm the same, it's difficult to pull the trigger at full price when you know it will be on sale at some point!

• Thanks
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of his myself, some of his stuff is good but others are a bit out there for me. I only just recently watched 12 monkeys after all this time!
I'm the same, it's difficult to pull the trigger at full price when you know it will be on sale at some point!
I was late watching 12 Monkeys too. I've seen it a couple times now though and I still don't think it's worth all the praise it gets... it's just ok IMO. I've not even seen any of the Monty Python films... I tried watching The Meaning of Life a few months ago and ended up turning it off part way through, although I was in a crap mood that day to be fair lol.

I was late watching 12 Monkeys too. I've seen it a couple times now though and I still don't think it's worth all the praise it gets... it's just ok IMO. I've not even seen any of the Monty Python films... I tried watching The Meaning of Life a few months ago and ended up turning it off part way through, although I was in a crap mood that day to be fair lol.
Watch FISHER KING - it is Gilliam's most accessible movie. And a great one.

• Thanks
I definitely plan to give The Meaning of Life another shot at some point, and of course check out the others too. ;)

What are your thoughts on Brazil? @C.C. 95 @Sigill
Classic.....case of me not loving what I am supposed to love.
I have never liked it. I admire it greatly. But it does absolutely zero for me.
And I am the target audience. It should be a movie I love. It ticks so many boxes for me, but it doesn't add up.
(Of course I also don't understand why people worship a small budget average B movie like Star Wars either).

• Thanks
I thought it was cool with the time travel concept although again a bit strange. I thought Brad Pitt was really good playing the crazy guy! Lol.
I'm not a fan of the Monty Python series, that is a bit too silly but I love the films. The meaning of life is my least favourite of the 3 but it's still good if you are in the right mood. The Holy grail is a classic and the Life of Brian too. Maybe give it another try mate!:)

I definitely plan to give The Meaning of Life another shot at some point, and of course check out the others too. ;)

What are your thoughts on Brazil? @C.C. 95 @Sigill
I've never seen that one, I've watched the trailer and it looks like a typical Terry Gilliam film though. I haven't seen Fisher King either, there's quite a few I still need to watch!

• Thanks
Classic.....case of me not loving what I am supposed to love.
I have never liked it. I admire it greatly. But it does absolutely zero for me.
And I am the target audience. It should be a movie I love. It ticks so many boxes for me, but it doesn't add up.
(Of course I also don't understand why people worship a small budget average B movie like Star Wars either).
I've only seen it once myself and can't remember any major details about it... I just remember being bored from start to finish. Maybe I'll give it another chance someday though, as I often do with "classics" that I'm originally not a fan of.

As for your Star Wars comment... you know I like you a little less each time you bash them. :sour: :p

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I thought it was cool with the time travel concept although again a bit strange. I thought Brad Pitt was really good playing the crazy guy! Lol.
I'm not a fan of the Monty Python series, that is a bit too silly but I love the films. The meaning of life is my least favourite of the 3 but it's still good if you are in the right mood. The Holy grail is a classic and the Life of Brian too. Maybe give it another try mate!:)

I've never seen that one, I've watched the trailer and it looks like a typical Terry Gilliam film though. I haven't seen Fisher King either, there's quite a few I still need to watch!
Yeah, the idea/story is pretty cool... it's Gilliam's directing that mostly ruins it for me personally. I actually gave a DVD copy to my dad not too long ago as he reckons he's always heard a lot about it but had never seen it himself... he ended up being disappointed with it too unfortunately.

That's pretty much how I felt about The Meaning of Life... I liked the opening in the office building with the old people, but after that it all got a bit too silly for me. The Holy Grail is easily the one I've heard about the most though... I've seen a few clips over the years too, and it definitely appeals to me more than the others. Don't think I could live with myself if I don't at least check that one out lol.

Honestly, I doubt I'd even like The Fisher King if it weren't for Robin Williams... he makes any film worth watching! :notworthy:

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Yeah, the idea/story is pretty cool... it's Gilliam's directing that mostly ruins it for me personally. I actually gave a DVD copy to my dad not too long ago as he reckons he's always heard a lot about it but had never seen it himself... he ended up being disappointed with it too unfortunately.

That's pretty much how I felt about The Meaning of Life... I liked the opening in the office building with the old people, but after that it all got a bit too silly for me. The Holy Grail is easily the one I've heard about the most though... I've seen a few clips over the years too, and it definitely appeals to me more than the others. Don't think I could live with myself if I don't at least check that one out lol.

Honestly, I doubt I'd even like The Fisher King if it weren't for Robin Williams... he makes any film worth watching! :notworthy:
I'm not a huge fan of his, the weird angles he shoots at can get a bit annoying. I had heard a lot about 12 Monkeys aswell. It was good but not great like I had heard.
I actually don't like the first bit in the office, that was all a bit weird! I thought it got better once you get Into it. The film does feel like lots of random sketches put together though whereas the holy grail and life of Brian are more film like for me.
You have to check it out once mate, so many quotable lines. I'm sure you will off heard most of them before! Lol.:D

I only just found out about The Fisher King when I was just looking at the Criterion collection the other day! I hadn't heard of it before. I was thinking about a blind buy but not sure if I would like it!

• Thanks
As for your Star Wars comment... you know I like you a little less each time you bash them. :sour: :p
:OMG::arghh::hilarious:
Completely honest objective opinion.:angel: I was a kid in 1977 - and I saw it and I didn't get ovewhelmed by it then either. I did get blown away by Close Encounters (that same year)- that blew my mind. But SW was just like another space pirate movie. (If you can - seriously watch it listening to the dialog, watching the acting - it's all very pedestrian. And the story is just a Flash Gordon episode. Trust me - I have tried many times to see what others see in it. But- for what it's worth, I think the best (and most well rounded and competent) of all the Star Wars movies is Rogue One. I might have said Empire if not for the odd truncated and episodic nature of that film).
It's not like I want to not like Star Wars - just being honest.IMG_1143.PNG

Great to see another Wes Anderson film added to the UK Criterion collection - keep ‘em coming please! Life Aquatic, Rushmore, Fantastic Mr Fox etc etc
I second this! Would love for them to release that stunning Fantastic Mr Fox digipak over here.

• Thanks
Reactions: Punker76
The offer will be available at all major retailers that stock Criterion releases, apart from Amazon who have just lowered their prices to £12.99 on most titles.

Zoom
Zavvi (TBA)
HMV
Amazon
Fopp stores

Remember you can also get a further 10% off at Zoom by using the code SIGNUP10 during checkout. ;)
This offer is rolling out again with a few new titles added. :thumbs:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: 1990ge