Doctor Who: Series 1-7 (Blu-Ray Gift Set) [USA/Canada]

Apr 25, 2011
California
911Bu7swbxL._AA1500_.jpg

For the first time ever, BBC Home Entertainment is collecting the complete new Doctor Who together on Blu-ray plus an amazing assortment of additional items including the totally unique Doctor Who Universal Remote Control Sonic Screwdriver and more! The collection includes Series 1-4, featuring Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston and Tenth Doctor David Tennant, making their Blu-ray debut in newly remastered versions at full 1080p resolution, plus Series 5-7 featuring Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith, also on 1080p high definition Blu-ray. Catch up with the complete new Doctor Who in high definition just in time for the historic 50th Anniversary Special this fall.

-price is high because the sonic screwdriver is the universal remote version sold here.

CLICK LINKS TO GO DIRECTLY TO EACH COUNTRY'S POST:

USA:
RELEASE DATE: TBD
PRICE (at time of posting): $314.98
ORDER: Amazon
CANADA

Last edited by a moderator:
So if that screwdriver is worth $99 then they are still charging $215 for seven series. That still seems very expensive to me?

Well, the BBC sets on bluray go for about $60-$70. Based on that, it's a good price for all 7 series.
And FINALLY, series 1-4 on Bluray! :scat:

Well, the BBC sets on bluray go for about $60-$70. Based on that, it's a good price for all 7 series.
And FINALLY, series 1-4 on Bluray! :scat:

I'm not a big fan of this so haven't really been checking the prices. I noticed that it is a little cheaper for the UK versions than the US ones. I didn't realise that series 1-4 wasn't out yet though, in that case it is worth picking up for the fans!:)

It's very unfortunate that the first 4 seasons of Dr. Who weren't shot with any sort of HD in mind (thanks to RTD and his HD is a waste of money mentality).

Seasons 1-4 weren't even shot on any kind of film, which could have been remastered for 1080p (just like Star trek was), but instead, seasons 1-4 were shot on SD digital video.

I'm no expert in these matters, but I suspect that any 1080p release of an SD digital video shot episode, will more than likely be simply an upscaled version, as the resolution/bitrate just simply isn't there to remaster in true 1080p.

That's just my understanding of it, but I am sure there are people out there with far greater knowledge of the pros and cons of SD digital video material, and how effective this is in remastering in 1080p

It's very unfortunate that the first 4 seasons of Dr. Who weren't shot with any sort of HD in mind (thanks to RTD and his HD is a waste of money mentality).

Seasons 1-4 weren't even shot on any kind of film, which could have been remastered for 1080p (just like Star trek was), but instead, seasons 1-4 were shot on SD digital video.

I'm no expert in these matters, but I suspect that any 1080p release of an SD digital video shot episode, will more than likely be simply an upscaled version, as the resolution/bitrate just simply isn't there to remaster in true 1080p.

That's just my understanding of it, but I am sure there are people out there with far greater knowledge of the pros and cons of SD digital video material, and how effective this is in remastering in 1080p

You are spot on really but just curious have you seen any of the upconverted episodes ? They do look better over the original dvd which is why I will be throwing my money at the BBC. Sure would have been nice if it where shot on film or just in Hd to start but I can finally have 1-4 on blu-ray and thats all that matters and the BBC know plenty of people will buy.

You are spot on really but just curious have you seen any of the upconverted episodes ? They do look better over the original dvd which is why I will be throwing my money at the BBC. Sure would have been nice if it where shot on film or just in Hd to start but I can finally have 1-4 on blu-ray and thats all that matters and the BBC know plenty of people will buy.

I haven't actually seen any upscaled series 1-4 episodes, but on a different forum, someone who appears to know what he is talking about, says that the Dr Who Special, Planet of the Dead (the one with the bus) was shot in SD digital, and sold on Blu Ray as 1080i, and to get a flavour of what these series 1-4 episodes will look like, take a look at the Blu ray release of the PotD Special...Though I am not sure what difference it will mean that the PotD Special was sold as 1080i, whereas the series 1-7 Blu Ray set is being sold as 1080p...

I will dig it out and give it a watch later.

However, I will still be buying the Blu ray series 1-7 special, as a lot of my favourite episodes are in the early series, and even if the increase in quality is marginal, I'd want that extra quality (by the way, some of my favourite episodes are: Dalek, Blink, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit)...Can't wait to see those in 1080p, upscaled or not :D

Oh, one final thing. The set is slightly cheaper on Amazon.ca compared to Amazon.com

Amazon.com have it listed at $314.98, whereas Amazon.ca have it listed at $297.51

Cheers,
Kevin

Reactions: spawnshop
I totally agree. I have th DVDs, and the quality is pretty poor in my opinion. The specials in 1080i on the other hand look fantastic.
Can't wait to get 1-4 on bluray, gonna be better then DVD!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I would totally buy this for a cheaper price.. but I'd fear taxes when it would arrive in France. Would be great indeed that Amazon Uk release their own box. When is the 50th anniversary already?

I would totally buy this for a cheaper price.. but I'd fear taxes when it would arrive in France. Would be great indeed that Amazon Uk release their own box. When is the 50th anniversary already?

The first ever episode of Doctor Who was broadcast on November 23rd 1963, and the 50th Anniversary episode is being broadcast (by all accounts in a worldwide simulcast!!) on Saturday November 23rd 2013...50 years to the day :thumbs:

I too wish this was getting a UK release (amazed that it isn't, to be honest), but it isn't looking likely right now, as if it was, I'm sure there'd have been some news about it by now...

Reactions: Petit Lu
Is series 7 the last one, including the episode on the 23rd of november? if not, maybe they are waiting for the last episode with Matt Smith? And maybe they are planning a COMPLETE boxset with all seasons and all doctors? ( hugely unlikely I know, and would cost a fortune..)

Doctor Who: Series 1-7 (Limited-Edition Giftset Blu-ray) [Canada]

911Bu7swbxL._AA1500_.jpg

Pre-order price: CDN$ 299.98
Release date: November 5, 2013
Buy here.