Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 6, 2023
Purchase link: Amazon FR - Fnac - E.Leclerc
Price: €34.99
Notes: Both UHD and Blu-ray discs has forced french subtitles when audio set to English - Some Panasonic players models not all have the ability to force subtitles off in player settings but some other brands of UHD players don't have that option

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.46.22 Medium.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Forced and hardcoded are different things though. Hardcoded subs are embedded into the video, forced simply means the french sub option plays by default, but can be turned off (dependent on your player if there's no menu option).

Reactions: Rulocal
Thanks. In addition to what @samdavies says below (cheers) the fact that there is no such comment next to the 4K is actually encouraging.
Yeah from what I can tell the blu-ray is likely an old disc, simply with a new label on. The 4K is new, should be very similar to the UK release, seeing as it also has an English atmos track.

Yeah from what I can tell the blu-ray is likely an old disc, simply with a new label on. The 4K is new, should be very similar to the UK release, seeing as it also has an English atmos track.

Yep, this makes sense. Feeling pretty positive about it now, but still some nagging doubts…

IMG_1069.gif

Forced and hardcoded are different things though. Hardcoded subs are embedded into the video, forced simply means the french sub option plays by default, but can be turned off (dependent on your player if there's no menu option).
Actually forced means you can't turn them off, unless your player is modded to remove/ignore all restrictions.

Don't really understand why anyone cares about the BD, especially buying it for the 4th or whichever time.

Reactions: Kizersouze
Actually forced means you can't turn them off, unless your player is modded to remove/ignore all restrictions.

Don't really understand why anyone cares about the BD, especially buying it for the 4th or whichever time.
Forced doesn't mean that. It means it plays by default, and there usually isn't a disc menu option to disable. There are plenty of players out there that have their own options menu that can change subs tracks while the film is playing. UB820 for example can do this natively, without any additional mods.

I agree though, no idea why anyone cares about an old FR blu.

Forced doesn't mean that. It means it plays by default, and there usually isn't a disc menu option to disable. There are plenty of players out there that have their own options menu that can change subs tracks while the film is playing. UB820 for example can do this natively, without any additional mods.
Maybe it's become different with Blu-rays, but with DVDs 'forced' meant they'd turn on with a particular audio track, and you couldn't change it with any player button or option. I have a few like that. Don't remember if I own any BDs with forced subs.
Forced does not equal Default.

But I had a Chinese modded player Malata N996 for such things, that could do anything: turn off any subs, move the picture around, zoom out (many DVDs are misframed and many TVs of that time overscanned), stretch non-anamorphic to full screen, play RCA discs, etc.

Maybe it's become different with Blu-rays, but with DVDs 'forced' meant they'd turn on with a particular audio track, and you couldn't change it with any player button or option. I have a few like that. Don't remember if I own any BDs with forced subs.
Forced does not equal Default.
I don't think I've ever owned any dvds that aren't from the UK or US, so I'm not sure on that one. It may still be that way for some players with blu-rays, but there are plenty out there with their own audio/sub menus that can change that.

I don't think I've ever owned any dvds that aren't from the UK or US, so I'm not sure on that one. It may still be that way for some players with blu-rays, but there are plenty out there with their own audio/sub menus that can change that.
So you've never owned a French disc but your adamant that the subs can't be forced..... So you can't possibly know.

Reactions: Lenny Nero